Does Anyone Really Celebrate The Last Supper As Commanded In The Bible?

by adelmaal 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• adelmaal
    adelmaal

I know the JWs try but IMHO they miss the mark because they do not all partake, as described in the Bible, and they do not do the foot washing as commanded in those verses as well.

I am hard pressed to find a religion that actually does "do this in remembrance of me" as explained in the Bible accounts by Jesus.

Does anyone know if there is a religion that tries to re-enact the event as it is described in the Bible? Also, do you think it would be wrong to try to re-enact it on your own with your family? Is that, in fact, what Jesus had wanted? If so, how would you go about it?

• heathen
    heathen

From what I've heard the SDA church does the feet washing , I'm not exactly sure of all the details in their worship , you might check for a web site . To my knowledge nobody does it exactly as instructed by the apostle Paul . The way I read it is that it does replace the jewish passover once a year and it is an actual dinner and not just about the bread and wine . People were supposed to fast prior to gathering and eat dinner together . People that eat and drink at home are supposed to stay home .

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

Catholics do the feet washing, break the bread (unleavened), pretty much everything I think - gather up any left over as well.

• mnb77
    mnb77

At the church I attend, we partake of the bread and wine just a christ told us to. the thursday before Good Friday is maunday thursday where we do this. we do it other times during the year to just to remember what christ did for us. we see the foot washing as part of the humbling ourselves before god and others at the service through pray and worship. I am with a church of god in OH.

just a thought for ya!

• Ticker
    Ticker

Mnb are you talking about the "World Wide Church of God" or one of its splinter groups? Just wondering because the world wide church of God was or still is a High Pressure Control Group or Cult. I just wanted to state as a caution for any who might not know this. If im wrong please correct me and Im sorry for the misunderstanding.

Ticker

• Spook
    Spook

I think it came from a Mithraic pagan tradition, and is as such moot.

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

Attend a Catholic mass on Thursday, usually around 7pm, and you'll see most of those things, in fact, I think almost all of them.

• adelmaal
    adelmaal

When I read the previous post I looked up the Worldwide Church of God on the internet. Their doctrines don't look so bad; they seem pretty tolerant/accepting:

I came accross some outside sources that do seem to indicate that the Worldwide Church of God had/has some cultic qualities but has undergone some changes:

Even though I liked their doctrins, we don't have one close to us in a good area anyways.

I was raised Catholic and never saw them do it the way it was described in the Bible. I never went to a Thursday mass though... Hmmm.

• barry
    barry

Im an SDA and yes the SDAs ave foot washing at the communion service the men and women separate for the foot washing. The way it is done is you pick a partner you wash his feet and he will wash yours. After that everyone meets back in the church and the bread and grapejuice are blessed and served to the congragation the grapejuice in small individual glasses.

The footwashing and sacraments is open to christians of any denomination even JWs if they chose to attend. Barry

• Alwayshere
    Alwayshere

Not me, I believe that was for the early Christains only. I may be wrong but that is what I believe.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit