Dinosaures;What do jws make of the following?

by badboy 12 Replies latest jw friends

• badboy
    badboy

Scientists tested some dinosaures eggs and chicken eggs for protein and found that the protein reactioned in the same way proving dinosaures and birds are related.

In view of the fact they say Archaeopteryx isn't a link between Dinosaures and birds,how do they explain this?

• Hanover Fist
    Hanover Fist

Why do Jehovah's Witnesses need to explain something that is a scientist's job?

• rocketman
  • Celia
    Celia
    Why do Jehovah's Witnesses need to explain something that is a scientist's job?

because the Witnesses, teach and believe that the world is only 6 or 7000 years old, and obviously the dinosaurs are much, much older.... and they believe in creation, not evolution... Other Fundamentalists even believe and teach that the earth was created in six literal days.... no time in 6000 years for a dinosaur to turn into a sparrow....

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    because the Witnesses, teach and believe that the world is only 6 or 7000 years old

No, only an idiot would think that. The JW's believe the earth is about 40,000 years old.

See? Isn't that much more plausible?

Actually, I think they've finally given up on the idea that the earth has an age that can be calculated from the Bible, though if push came to shove, I'll bet they'd still admit they think the dinosaurs were roaming around only a few thousand years ago.

Dave

• Hanover Fist
    Hanover Fist

the witnesses i have talked to say that the earth (not the world) is as old as science says it is. they are not in disagreement with that.

• City Fan
    City Fan

The witlesses teach that the earth may be billions of years old but that life on earth has been around for a much shorter period than that.

They used to teach that each creative day was seven thousand years long but now use the term 'millenia' which really could be any length of time. This keeps the old-timers happy who still remember the seven thousand year creative day doctrine!

CF.

• googlemagoogle
    googlemagoogle

you are right, hannover.

i think it's really counterproductive to spread nonsense about JWs like some here do... that's where the "apostate lies" argument gets a foundation.

the 6000 year thing is about man's history, not the age of earth. only "young age creationists" believe in the literal one week creation as the bible paints it. all other bible(ab)users twist scripture to make it seem in line with science. it is not though.

• seedy3
    seedy3

The Watchtower does not teach the 6,000 year old earth idea, they at the least say the earth is 12,000 years old, with the thought that each creative day may not be concurent. in otherwords god could have skipped a few thousand years between creative days. so that could make the earth as old as anyone wants to make it sound. The Watchtower however does say that Adam lived just over 6,000 years ago making mankind only about 6,000 years old. But someone forgot to tell that to the bones they've found and been able to date.

Seedy

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

To be fair, the Witness beliefs in this area have changed over time... one might say they evolved into something less likely to reduce people to hysterical laughter... but this means it is easy for ex-Witnesses and non Witnesses (as well as Witnesses) to be none-too-clear on what they do believe.

I think they started off on a "If 1975 = 6,000 years since Adam and the Millenium (1,000 years) is coming, the the last cretaive day = 7,000 years so all creative days = 7,000 years so "Let there be light" was (6,000+7,000x6) 48,000 years ago in 1975.

They jumped on the Old-Earth-Creationist band wagon of claiming "In the begining God created the Heavens and the Earth" bit was BEFORE the first creative day, so thus claimed the Universe was as old as anyone cared to say it was, but that the forming of the Earth and creation of everything was all within the last 50,000 years.

The blue 'Creation' in the mid 80's changed the "Creative day = 7,000 years" into "Creative day = epoch". I would have got out of the Borg in my teens if that hadn;t happened, but I was ignorant enough of science for that change to satisfy my disquiet over the obviously errant rubbish of 7,ooo year creative days.

However, JW's are frequently conditoned to jump like a scalded cat when anyone mentions any date with lots of zeros on it, so often, being surpirsingly ill-informed about what they do actually believe themselves, will have a knee-jerk reaction and argue against things that are actually permissable to believe in.

My mum did this the other day when I described Lot as a bronze-age pastoralist.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit