spanish congregations vs english

by Pwned 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Pwned
    Pwned

(I dont mean the countries - grammar nazis, please dont flame)

I dont know how many of you attended a spanish speaking hall like i did but in my experience and from reading people's posts i think that there are some pretty big differences

1. spanish congs are more liberal

2. english halls are more 'stuffy' and classist

3. race tends to matter a lot more in english halls

4. people just seem happier at spanish halls

any thoughts?

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

Well, there are always exceptions to any rule, of course, but I attended Woodhaven in Queens NY; there was a Spanish congregation in the same hall and it was much more conservative.

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

Well, I've noticed that foreign-language congregations seem to like singing "kingdum melodies," especially in public. For someone to do this, I think they'd have to be pretty conservative.

• professor
    professor

One elder recently wrote:

(so and so) is the Overseer of our Spanish group, & he is doing a fine job. We really love them very much. It's a great feeling to have so many wonderful spiritual Brothers & Sisters. The Spanish people are very loving. We even hug the Brothers!

I wonder what happens if you hug a sister?

• Pwned
    Pwned

everyone hugs and kissing sisters on the cheek is the norm, it wasnt that way with a lot of english congs. that i saw.

i'll give an example of what i mean, at weddings that i went to the music was rarely if ever questioned. salsa is a much more sensual form of dancing than the electric slide, which seemed to be the staple of english-speaking weddings.

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

Greetings!

Every congregation has its own personality of course. But in my opinion I have been in association with (first) Spanish congregation as a kid (second) English (i.e. predominently "white" or "anglo" members) as a teen and (thirdly) an English language - black congregation (I was the only non-black person). I have visited many "mixed" congregations back in New Mexico and here in Southern California.

I think that there are definitely some cultural differences that play into the personality of the congregation. I do believe that in terms of "warmth" (whatever that really means) that the Spanish are warmer than the English/White congregations and that the Black congregations were much more "warm" than both - but here "warmth" means being demonstratively emotional and expressive. True "warmth" or genuine feeling has always been hard for me to gauge since I was always an "oddball" in the Congregations.

-Eduardo

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

I've been in both, and I found spanish more enjoyable to be around. They seemed friendlier (friendship mattered more), more sincere. Less uptight in many ways. The worst ones, though, were the english/white brothers who had learned spanish so they could "shepherd" the spanish congregations. Most of them were so full of themselves it was sickening.

Re singing...I remember visiting mexico during the late 70's and going to a bookstudy at someone's house. I was so surprised when they started and ended with an enthusiastic song. I guess they weren't allowed to sing during the other meetings since JW's were classified as an educational group (or something like that).

I'd agree that the spanish congs. really do seem to like the songs more, though.

• professor
    professor

Sounds about right. I'm sure none of them could possibly be as annoying as that Dora the Explorer Chick.

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76

Big misconception here, Spanish congs are not more liberal, they are very much more conservative than the English congs, I think many people see the all the warmth between brothers and sisters like hugging and kissing and misconstrue it as liberal, when in fact it's just a cultural thing, same goes for the singing. I find that English congs are more stuffy in regards to the interpersonal skills, but generally the English folks are more liberal, try comparing an American JW parent to a Spanish JW parent and you will see the diffirence. In regards to the weddings I would have to agree that the Spanish just love to dance and will play salsa music, but they try to keep it toned down for the most part.

Dragonlady76

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76

ROFLMAO @ Professor!

Dragonlady76

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit