Total fluff-Ebay purchases and shipping charges

by CaptainSchmideo 15 Replies latest jw friends

• beebee
    beebee

The two reasons mentioned above - giving the impression of a great bargain while still protecting your actual minimum selling price and to lower the amount paid in eBay fees (they get a percentage of the sales price) are the primary reasons sellers do this.

I don't care for it because I think it makes the seller look sleazy (I tried padding the shipping once and got nasty questions from someone, decided it wasn't worth risking the feedback as a little seller. A bigger seller isn't as hurt by a little bad feedback).

One possible advantage to a buyer would be if it was one of the rare instances when sales tax would apply, in which case the shipping and handling is not taxed.

One warning on the "Calculate Shipping" box, when a seller lists that option, they can include any handling charge they want, so don't assume that isn't padded (I have seen instances when it was very padded).

I won't buy from a seller who doesn't list shipping costs up front unless I can email them ahead of time, and I get an appropriate response.

Like others said - Read the description very carefully. I have caught other instances of potential fraud that way - like the ass that kept advertising "Information on how to get a Playstation 2 for free." His ad was written very, very cleverly so it really looked like a real machine was being offered (with a 99 cent starting bid), but all he sold was a link to one of those websites where you have to complete an offer to get a free gift (spend money). It said it was info, but I watched him for a while (and kept reporting it to ebay) and he got as much as $140 for that "info." Almost all the bidders were newbies, and all of the winners had either never bought anything, or only bought on ebay once or twice before.

Oh, and warning on those "complete an offer for a freebee" sites. I actually did one of those (wanted that particular offer anyway) but never got the gift.

• unbeliever
    unbeliever

When I was an ebay newbie I came thisclose to buying a DVD for $1.99. I was like what a great deal and I was wondering how he was able to sell so cheap and sure enough the s/h was $14. Insanity. I could go buy it for the same price at Wal-Mart and have it that day.

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa
    it's best to pad the S&H to make sure you don't loose out in case you only get 1 or 2 low bids and you have to sell the item.

My 2 cents: As a seller, I would NEVER do that. That is the quickest way to a negitive feedback, and to me it is kind of dishonest...tricking the buyer. I always charge only actual shipping charges and I always include a shipping calculator in the auction so that buyers can see how much shipping will be before they bid.

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

Oh and .........As a buyer, I ALWAYS check the shipping before I bid....

• dh
    dh

I think fakeBay should make a rule that sellers have to offer a standard post office rate for shipping an item, and if the buyer wants an upgraded service they can pay more for it. I don't think sellers should be allowed to charge for packaging an item.

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76

Not sure how many of you that replied have sold on Ebay, but I speak from personal expirience in selling, I'm not a big seller, but I do not trick people, I say very upfront in bold print my S&H price along with a warning that if you do not agree with the S&H $, then don't bid. It's that easy. I have never had negative feedback from any buyer on my auctions. By the way Ebay has new rules on pulling auctions out, and for those of you who have never sold before take into account the Ebay seller fees, they are not pretty. Any time I sell something regardless of the the S&H the buyer is getting a great buy, considering the quality, price and use of the item, as I have very high standards.

Dragonlady76

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit