Total fluff-Ebay purchases and shipping charges

by CaptainSchmideo 15 Replies latest jw friends

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

Any Ebay-ers out there?

Has anybody noticed the trend of a lot of sellers to lure you in with a low price, only to find, in very tiny print at the bottom, the cost of shipping "and handling" usually being as much as the product itself? I have seen sellers charge $70.00 to send a "buy it now" item that costs $100.00. Insanity!

On the flip side, I bought an LCD 15" monitor from an individual for $127.50, plus 15.00 shipping (USPS), plus 4 for insurance. I paid on Friday, and it arrived Monday! Somebody at the post office really screwed up to get halfway across the country that fast! And looking at the stamp on the box, the seller only charged $1 for his handling, after the postal charges were figured in.

Anyway, what's your take? Any sellers out there think I'm too whiny?

• Odrade
    Odrade

I agree 100%. Way back in the beginning of ebay people used to get suckered with the shipping "and handling" charges. I know I did once. Ever since then I always look. If the s/h charges exceed what I know normal shipping should be by more than a couple of dollars, I don't trust the seller and won't bid on the item.

Of course an exception should be made for difficulty of/ or expensive packaging, but otherwise, box + wadded up newspaper does not equal $10 "handling."

Bitch away! Glad someone else feels that way.

• glitter
    glitter

I am an ebay newbie, but I've noticed this - I think some people set an unreasonably low start price or Buy It Now price then have expensive shipping so they still end up with a good price without having to pay too high ebay or paypal fees.

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76

I agree the S&H is high, but for a good reason. I both buy and sell on Ebay. As a seller I realize that people want something for nothing. In order to entice bidders, it's a good idea to start the auction at the lowest amount possible without a reserve,and since you never know what will happen it's best to pad the S&H to make sure you don't loose out in case you only get 1 or 2 low bids and you have to sell the item. But I do know that there are some people out there just charging way to much, so I always check the S&H before I bid.

Dragonlady76

• Sassy
    Sassy

I have learned to read all the fine print when Ebay shopping..

Once I helped a friend get a plate she loved on bit.. we got it for next to nothing... but I hadn't noticed the shipping and HANDLING charge.. it was outrageous..

now I am more careful..

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

A couple of weeks ago, I bought three books on ebay (Stephen King's Dark Tower 5,6,7). I got the books for just over $30 US - a pretty decent price. The shipping fine print mentioned shipping costs, but no specific numbers. When I went to pay, they wanted $28.00 shipping. That's insane. I checked with the USPS, and the shipping should have been about a third of that amount.

However, most of the time, the shipping charges are very reasonably, even surprisingly low.

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo
    As a seller I realize that people want something for nothing. In order to entice bidders, it's a good idea to start the auction at the lowest amount possible without a reserve,and since you never know what will happen it's best to pad the S&H to make sure you don't loose out in case you only get 1 or 2 low bids and you have to sell the item.

I don't want something for nothing. I want something for a price of what the market will bear (supply and demand). Padding the shipping by twice the amount just so a seller will get what they really want is just an attempt to short circuit this basic economic law. A person could make the similar argument that a seller wants to sell his "used" product for a "brand new" price.

Ebay started as an online swap meet, but now that the pros have gotten savvy to how to manipulate it, it's getting harder to find good deals.

Imagine going to a store, finding an item "on sale", taking it up for purchase, having it rung up, and then having them charge you for a)the employees salary (plus markup), b)the electricity to run the register (plus markup), c)the sack to put the item in (plus markup).

Taxes and VATs aside, when you buy an "on sale item" (or any other item), the cost of all those extras are still figured in to the price tag when it's on the shelf. If the store takes a loss, then they need to charge more for the item. If it doesn't move, that's not a license to penalize the buyer who wants it at a cheaper price.

You don't "have to sell the item" if you are not getting the price you want. You can always remove the item from bidding, which I have seen happen many a time. Or, you can set a reserve price to make sure you get at least what you want. If nobody is willing to meet your reserve, then the demand for your item does not meet your expectation.

Anyway, the monitor I got is cool! Looks great on my system!

• Nancy Drake
    Nancy Drake

it helps when they have shipping calculators right on the auction page, but I just don't bid on stuff if I think the shipping is unreasonable. I can understand charging a LITTLE extra for the trip to the post office/packaging...etc, but if I think the seller is just being greedy and unfair, I won't bid on it, no matter how much I want the item.

Don't encourage those people by bidding on their stuff. As long as there are suckers who bid on items with ridiculous shipping, the sellers will keep doing it.

• Effervescent
    Effervescent

I'm pretty sure anyone who's every used Ebay with any frequency's totally been burned and learned this one the hard way. It's so easy to start skimming over the fine print and be nailed with an outrageous shipping charge. Being in Alaska, I get pissed because people want to ship USPS and charge extra for shipping to me. I don't know which country they think I live in, but sending through the post office to me is the same as everywhere else. I'm not sure whats so hard about that concept.

My personal burn story... like an idiot I didn't check the fine print, I had been sifting through hundreds of auctions for a sewing pattern and just got sloppy. Didn't notice that this woman wanted all this extra money for shipping to Alaska. I grudgingly paid it... it WAS there in the fine print. When I got it to me it had cost the woman like $.75 or something to send it USPS. I paid $5.00 just for shipping. Argh. What a racket.

• professor
    professor

One reason sellers move their profit into s/h is that eBay takes a percentage of each sale as their cut. By putting a low price but high s/h, they are reducing eBay's cut. That's why eBay has a policy against unreasonably high s/h. They don't seem to enforce that rule, however.

Some sellers are straightforward about this in bold print at the top of their ad. Others are not.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit