Shunning in the 60's

by Bryan 41 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

Don't worry Nancy we have like 30 years to catch up to their age now(kidding guys)!

The older you get the wiser you become but being young you still have more fun!

Brooke

• minimus
    minimus

My aunt was df'd in the early 60's. Our family would not talk to her unless it was out of necessity. They literally would walk across the street if they saw her.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

It actually go so bad at one point, that the WTBTS published articles telling the r&f that it was 'ok' to help someone who needed help, even if they were disfellowshipped, if their life or wellbeing was in danger. There were reports of people refusing aid to disfellowshipped people and leaving them in dire circumstances.

We constantly knock the WTBTS for their cruelty, but in the issue of disfellowshipping, it is the R&F that go overboard.

J

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

God, I hate cults. The ignorance knows no bounds. Like a bunch of lemmings or some shit.

GBL

• Englishman
    Englishman
    Wow, you people are old.

Yeah but we do lot's more bonking than you youngsters.

Englishman.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

Shhhh! Don't let us oldtimers secret out!

J

• Valis
    Valis

Englishman.

Eh finally got a for the backyard matey?

• Sassy
    Sassy
    There had been a trend toward being lax regarding DF'd ones at the hall; that is partly why the WTS cracked down in 1981. Note this quote from a 1981 WT. Starting in 1981, the WTS became more rigid and unloving in this area (due to the apostate scare at Bethel as well).

that I remember.. My first husband was dfd several times while I was married to him.. the first time was before 81 and although most in the congregation did shun him, families were not as strict...

then after 81 that changed.. boy his dad and mom could have nothing to do with him...

• Euphemism
    Euphemism
    Englishman wrote:
    DF'ing was rare indeed back then. Most people were put on probation.

That was one of the things that I noted about the article: one of the potential causes of disfellowshipping was "persistence in sexual offenses". Not like right now, where you can get disfellowshipped for a one-off.

jeanniebeanz wrote:It actually go so bad at one point, that the WTBTS published articles telling the r&f that it was 'ok' to help someone who needed help, even if they were disfellowshipped, if their life or wellbeing was in danger. There were reports of people refusing aid to disfellowshipped people and leaving them in dire circumstances.

We constantly knock the WTBTS for their cruelty, but in the issue of disfellowshipping, it is the R&F that go overboard.

I'd have to disagree with you, Jeannie. If you look at the WT articles from before the early 70's, there's pretty much no mollification. To the contary, there's quite a bit of talk about how disfellowhsipped people actually deserve to be killed, and the only reason they're not is because "Caeser's Law" forbids it. The "overboard" R&F were only following the lead of their cruel teachers.

Have you read Crisis of Conscience? The softening in the 70's was in large part the work of Ray Franz, and evaporated when he left.

• ChrisVance
    ChrisVance
    The older you get the wiser you become but being young you still have more fun!

I'm 55 and I have a lot more fun than I did when I was 25, 35, 40. I was a dub until I was 42.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit