Shunning in the 60's

by Bryan 41 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Bryan
    Bryan

As you know I just returned from visiting my great-aunt whom I hadn't seen in 40 years (she's still a jw). I asked her if she shunned my mother when she was disfellowshipped in 1964. She said they Society did not promote shunning at this time. Is this true?

Publication references would be appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Bryan

Have You Seen My Mother

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Hmmmm, 1964. I was almost 9. You know, back then I didn't know any disfellowshipped people! Maybe it took more to get df'd than it does now.

Nina

• Bryan
    Bryan

Yeah, not to date you Nina, but I was just born, and have no clue.

Hope you guys are well.

Bryan

Have You Seen My Mother

• cruzanheart
  • jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

My parents told me that they were disfellowshipped in 62 and it was an automatic 4 year sentence. During that time they were expected to have perfect meeting attendance in spite of being told by their disfellowshipping committee 'we hope to be able to slap you in the face with a shovel before the end comes'.

J

• Bryan
    Bryan

Holy Cow Beanz!

I hope your parents didn't go crawling back.

Thanks,

Bryan

Have You Seen My Mother

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

They did, and are now happily shunning me...

• Bryan
    Bryan

I'm so sorry....

Bryan

Have You Seen My Mother

• talesin
    talesin

I don`t have any articles, but my aunt was DF in the early 60s, and the family shunned her.

Actually, it was so hard on her that she moved to Boston and started a new life.

My brother was DF in 1973, and we shunned him till he was reinstated. We did not even talk to him for the year or two he was DF.

I remember because my father cried.

• larc
    larc

Back in those days, there was not much disfellowshipping going on. It happened now and then, but it was not a regular occurence. That was back in "Happy Days", when most people of all races, creeds, and religion lived nice lives.

Sex, drugs and rock and roll? Sex has always been around. Rock and roll was kicking in, but we did not have drugs, back then.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit