Believe in 607 BCE or you are not one of Jehovah's Witnesses

by VM44 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• VM44
    VM44

If a JW states that 607 BCE is incorrect, how long will it take before the elders announce from the platform to the congregation that the person is "no longer one of Jehovah's Witnesses"?

--VM44

• mjl
    mjl

I'm sure that's already happened...... Believe or else 
  • Narkissos
    Narkissos

W 4/1 1986 QFR:

Obviously, a basis for approved fellowship with Jehovah?s Witnesses cannot rest merely on a belief in God, in the Bible, in Jesus Christ, and so forth. The Roman Catholic pope, as well as the Anglican Archbishop of Canterbury, professes such beliefs, yet their church memberships are exclusive of each other. Likewise, simply professing to have such beliefs would not authorize one to be known as one of Jehovah?s Witnesses.

Approved association with Jehovah?s Witnesses requires accepting the entire range of the true teachings of the Bible, including those Scriptural beliefs that are unique to Jehovah?s Witnesses. What do such beliefs include?

That the great issue before humankind is the rightfulness of Jehovah?s sovereignty, which is why he has allowed wickedness so long. (Ezekiel 25:17) That Jesus Christ had a prehuman existence and is subordinate to his heavenly Father. (John 14:28) That there is a "faithful and discreet slave" upon earth today ?entrusted with all of Jesus? earthly interests,? which slave is associated with the Governing Body of Jehovah?s Witnesses. (Matthew 24:45-47) That 1914 marked the end of the Gentile Times and the establishment of the Kingdom of God in the heavens, as well as the time for Christ?s foretold presence. (Luke 21:7-24; Revelation 11:15?12:10) That only 144,000 Christians will receive the heavenly reward. (Revelation 14:1, 3) That Armageddon, referring to the battle of the great day of God the Almighty, is near. (Revelation 16:14, 16; 19:11-21) That it will be followed by Christ?s Millennial Reign, which will restore an earth-wide paradise. That the first to enjoy it will be the present "great crowd" of Jesus? "other sheep."?John 10:16; Revelation 7:9-17; 21:3, 4.

Do we have Scriptural precedent for taking such a strict position? Indeed we do! Paul wrote about some in his day: "Their word will spread like gangrene. Hymenaeus and Philetus are of that number. These very men have deviated from the truth, saying that the resurrection has already occurred; and they are subverting the faith of some." (2 Timothy 2:17, 18; see also Matthew 18:6.) There is nothing to indicate that these men did not believe in God, in the Bible, in Jesus? sacrifice. Yet, on this one basic point, what they were teaching as to the time of the resurrection, Paul rightly branded them as apostates, with whom faithful Christians would not fellowship.

Similarly, the apostle John termed as antichrists those who did not believe that Jesus had come in the flesh. They may well have believed in God, in the Hebrew Scriptures, in Jesus as God?s Son, and so on. But on this point, that Jesus had actually come in the flesh, they disagreed and thus were termed "antichrist." John goes on to say regarding those holding such variant views: "If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, never receive him into your homes or say a greeting to him. For he that says a greeting to him is a sharer in his wicked works."?2 John 7, 10, 11.

Following such Scriptural patterns, if a Christian (who claims belief in God, the Bible, and Jesus) unrepentantly promotes false teachings, it may be necessary for him to be expelled from the congregation. (See Titus 3:10, 11.) Of course, if a person just has doubts or is uninformed on a point, qualified ministers will lovingly assist him. This accords with the counsel: "Continue showing mercy to some that have doubts; save them by snatching them out of the fire." (Jude 22, 23) Hence, the true Christian congregation cannot rightly be accused of being harshly dogmatic, but it does highly value and work toward the unity encouraged in God?s Word.

• jeanniebeanz
  • IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

I understand this is what happed to Mouthy back in the 80s

• Buster
    Buster

I find one point interesting. I read Narkissos' quote, and saw the references to 2Tim. regards shunning. So I did what I would never have done as a JW, namely look it up.

Now Paul is talking about a couple guys that seem to be 'rowing in the other direction.' But he is telling Tim that he should shun what these people say. He is not saying to ostracise these people - even though they may have already stumbled some.

'Misquoting' is just another flavor of lying ... and they know it ... bastards.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Actually I remember this article very well because a few weeks later I had to answer all the questions corresponding to the "That... " sentences before a JC. And when I read the article I knew this would happen.

Now the list of "required beliefs" mentions 1914, not 607. I wonder how a JC would react if someone said "I believe in 1914 (because of WWI, for instance), not the calculation or the starting point". I guess after a few letters to and back from Bethel the result would be the same, but who knows?

• scholar
    scholar

VM44

Only a fool would reject 607 for another date. Which begs the question as to which date would be a suitable candidate. One has a choice of three dates apart from 607:

1. 588

2. 587

3. 586

4. 587/586

What a choice is there, the smart money is on 607

scholar

BA MA Studies in Religion

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

scholar, how much are they paying you to play the ignorant moron JW anyway?

GBL

• the_classicist
    the_classicist
    The Roman Catholic pope,

Shows you how much JWs know about other religions. The Pope is the Sumpreme Pontiff of over 22 different Catholic Churches, 1 of which is the Latin rite.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit