memorial advice please?

by jaffacake 18 Replies latest jw friends

• confusedjw
    confusedjw
    A communion in which no one partakes is sort of weird, isn't it?
    The Jehovah's Witnesses' yearly memorial is reminiscent of an ancient satanic ritual which takes place in exactly the same manner.

Okay that implication is a bit out there, IMO

• breeze
    breeze

Jeffacake:

The partakers are of the heavenly class. The majority of Jehovah's Witnessses have a hope of living forever on the earth.

WTBTS teaches that there are only 144,000 that will go to heaven.

I get a hint that you might be gay. If you are just forget it. The witnesses will never accept you at any level.

BREEZE

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

Thanks to all. Two thoughts. 1. What a waste of food & drink. 2. Off the top of my head I can think of 2 things Jesus told his followers to do, preach the good news and eat & drink (bread & wine) in his remembrance. I can't find the bits in the Bible where he said that the preaching applied to all, but the eating & drinking in remembrance didn't. But hey, what do I know. I'll attend with interest.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

If you're going to go, at least be respectful of these people's beliefs and do not touch the emblems other than to pass them to the person next to you. Otherwise, don't go at all.

Why should you be disrespectful to these people's religion?! The fact that you don't agree with some of their teachings does not entitle you to act the fool.

If you're not going to behave properly, stay home where you'll be of more use.

DY

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

Thanks doubtfully yours,

I welcome your advice, but although I admit that the way my post was written was flippant, if you knew me you would know that I would not do or say anything to show disrespect to these people, especially because I will be with my lifelong friend and his wife & kids (despite the very disrespectful things said about my own beliefs). Having said that - my questions stand, and remain unanswered. Why prepare food and drink for no one, or just in case? Hoe is this respectful to Christ's teaching? I would in all seriousness appreciate an answer to my question about why all disciples of Christ should not do as he said. Do JWs not teach other teachings or commands of Jesus apply to the whole congregation?

• adelmaal
    adelmaal
    Why prepare food and drink for no one, or just in case?

Can you say traditions of men? It doesn't really venture to far from the traditions and formalities of the Catholic church does it. You will see if you go how formal and ritualistic it is...

They believe only the anointed go to heaven, only the anointed benefit from Christ's ransom sacrifice in a heavenly sense and almost all of the anointed have already died and been resurrected. They also believe that since only the anointed are going to heaven then only the anointed benefit from the covenant Jesus spoke of when he commanded his followers to continue to "do this in rememberance" of him.

Quite a stretch in my opinion considering Jesus did not say only some of his followers would benefit from that covenant and not others. He also did not say that only some of his followers should continue to partake of the bread and the wine.

Jehovah's Witnesses believe those on there earth today are said to be of the other sheep who will live in paradise on earth forever. They do not believe the other sheep or the great crowd benefit from Christ's sacrifice in a heavenly sense, they do not believe that Christ serves mediator for the other sheep with God and they do not believe that the great crowd are part of the covenant between Christ and those who will serve with him in heaven.

In some warped way they think they are doing what Christ commanded by passing the stuff around and yet not partaking of it.

How can they be doing what Jesus commanded if they are not partaking and sharing in the covenant for the heavenly Kingdom? Who knows... It doesn't make any sense to me now that I am no longer in that religion. I personally want Jesus as my saviour and my mediator so I can have a relationship with God and enter his Kingdom.

Hoe is this respectful to Christ's teaching?

I don't believe so but they think they have taken it all right out of the Bible. They take the mention of 144,000 in Revelation literally and they believe only that literal number (all of them happening to be Jehovah's Witnesses) will be in heaven ruling as kings with Jesus. The rest of Jesus' followers will live on the earth with Jesus and the 144,000 ruling over them.

I would in all seriousness appreciate an answer to my question about why all disciples of Christ should not do as he said. Do JWs not teach other teachings or commands of Jesus apply to the whole congregation?

I'm with you that all of Jesus' followers should do as he said.

The WTBTS' rules and regulations apply to the entire congregation. The heavenly hope is only held out for a few though. Why the majority of them continue to serve regardless of the fact that they are not considered worthy to be of the heavenly class is beyond me...

You will not find a scripture in the Bible that says Jesus promised a "paradise earth" (those two words together) to any of his followers. You will find plenty that speak of him promising a Heavenly kingdom though. You will not find a scripture that says you have to be in a manmade organization, part of a literal number of followers or in a certain religion to enter into the heavenly kingdom promised by Jesus. You will not find a scripture that says you are not allowed to commemorate Jesus' death in the way he commanded if you are not part of a group of 144,000 Jehovah's Witnesses.

They take randomn scriptures throughout the Bible and piece them together to form a belief system that is completely contrary to Jesus' teachings when he was on earth.

Personally, I don't go because I don't believe they are showing respect for what Jesus died for and I don't believe they are showing appreciation for the heavenly hope held out by Jesus for his followers. I would rather not support yet another false religion.

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

Adelmaal,

Thank you, I am most grateful. I am learning loads from many on this board!

• Dragon_Frog
    Dragon_Frog

Hello, I'm new!

These people are lying to you.

It's a sign of disrespect if you don't tip your glass and drink all the wine that's handed to you.

They also like it if you bring your own cheese to put on the bread.

D'oh! I'm gonna go to hell...oh wait, there is no hell. My bad.

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

Nice one DF (I mean Dragon Frog)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit