Dr. Picchioni .... In Texas

by Wild_Thing 40 Replies latest jw friends

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

Anybody ever heard of him? How about David Sublet? Just wondering ....

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Would this be the guy?

http://www.pharmacy.arizona.edu/museum/2002russellaward.shtml

Albert L. Picchioni, Ph.D.

The recipient of the Findlay E. Russell MD, Ph.D. Distinguished Citizen Award has been a unique and valuable contributor to the pharmacy profession and the UA College of Pharmacy for more than 50 years. He received his Bachelor of Science degree in pharmacy from the University of Montana in 1943, Master of Science degrees from the University of Michigan and Purdue, and his Doctorate in pharmacology from Purdue in 1952.

After joining the College of Pharmacy as a professor of pharmacology in January 1952, Dr. Albert L. Picchioni began receiving calls from local physicians with questions about poisonings and children. With the help of faculty volunteers, he developed a card file listing ingredients in household products.

Under Dr. Picchioni's guidance, pharmacy faculty regularly updated the information, keeping a copy of the card file at the College and one at their homes. They even volunteered to answer emergency calls after hours.

By 1955, calls were coming in at the rate of about seven a week, forming the first Center of Excellence at the College, the Arizona Poison and Drug Information Center. Today, the Arizona Poison Center is recognized as one of the premier poison centers in the nation, answering over 700,000 calls a year.

Dr. Picchioni continued to direct the Poison Center until 1982. He also served as head of the Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology and spent two years as acting dean of the College. Even with his administrative duties, he never faltered in his support of his students.

According to Mark Rhoads, a 1980 graduate, the special attention he received made coming to college easier. Mark wrote, "When I went through freshman orientation, I was the only one in the whole group of new students that was a pharmacy major. Dr. Picchioni personally took me over the pharmacy building and gave me a tour. He made me feel very welcome to the scary new large university."

Dr. Picchioni retired in 1987, but has remained an active participant in the College, serving on the National Advisory Board. One of the first scholarship funds established to honor a faculty member in the College is the Albert L. Picchioni Student Leadership Scholarship Fund. In 1988, friends, family and former students of Dr. Picchioni established this scholarship for third-year students to recognize leadership, professionalism and responsibility.

Dr. Rachel French received the Picchioni Scholarship in 1999. She graduated from the UA in 2001 and today, she is a Clinical Assistant Professor in the Department of Pharmacy Practice and Science at the College. She said, "The world-wide recognition of the Poison Center and the continued success of the College demonstrate that Dr Picchioni's commitment and dedication have left a lasting impression, and continue to do so each time he shares his generosity and professional experience with pharmacy students."

With his characteristic humility, Dr. Picchioni downplays the significance of his scholarship, saying, "All we knew when we started was that people needed help, and I think that spirit of dedication has always been a part of the College of Pharmacy."

Throughout his career, Dr. Picchioni was a leader in professional organizations, including the Arizona Society of Hospital Pharmacists and the Arizona Pharmacy Association.

It is fitting that Dr. Picchioni receive the award named for Dr. Findlay Russell because Dr. Picchioni is the person who brought Dr. Russell to the University of Arizona and introduced him to Dean Jack Cole.

In honor of his dedication and remarkable achievements, we are pleased to present the University of Arizona College of Pharmacy's Findlay E. Russell, MD, Ph.D. Distinguished Citizen Award to Dr. Al Picchioni.

|Graduate Studies|Professional Studies |Poison Center|Research Centers|Outreach and Service |Continuing Education|College Directory|News |Support Our Mission|Alumni |Student Activities |Employment |Pharmacy Museum|Home|

Comments to Webmaster, Last Updated: October 7, 2004
    All contents copyright © 2001. Arizona Board of Regents.

1703 E. Mabel, P.O. Box 210207
    Tucson, Arizona 85721
    Phone: 520 626-1427

I couldn't find anything on David Sublet. So what's the scoop?

Kate

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

I know Sublet, and megadude can tell you alot about Picchioni, I believe. Actually, I have a friend (who I believe is an elder) who will is willing to share his thoughts on Picchioni (or at least he was before I was df'd, not sure if he'll talk to me now or not).

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

No ... his name is Anthony (or Tony) Picchioni.

He is a psychologist who "catered" to witnesses in the 90s. People traveled from all over the states to Texas to be treated by him. His staff included an elder, David Sublett (sp?), another sister named Karla (don't remember last name.) He had a pretty big clientele, with all the mentally unstable and abused witnesses. He was touted among some witnesses as being safe to go to because he respected your religious beliefs, etc. At some point, the society big dogs got word of it and effectively shut him down, I think. I am not exactly sure, but I would love to know the story. I would also like to know what happened to the staff that was working for him, like if David is stall an elder or even a witness. This was all in the Dallas area, by the way.

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing
    I know Sublet, and megadude can tell you alot about Picchioni, I believe. Actually, I have a friend (who I believe is an elder) who will is willing to share his thoughts on Picchioni (or at least he was before I was df'd, not sure if he'll talk to me now or not).

Thanks SixofNine. Is David still an elder or witness? Is he still in that line of work? I would love to swap stories with some others. Do you know the story on the shutdown?

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

My friend was also a "counselor", brought into the biz by Sublett, I believe. My friend was right in the thick of the whole society bigwig fiasco, as I understand it. I have another friend who's wife was in that program, and he was in the same congregation as David. I think Sublett is still an elder, and I think he's still in that line of work... but I'm not 100% on either of those things though. I'll try to find out the latest for you.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Okay got it now!

I think I heard of him back in the 90's. The "sister" who lead our ACoA group hailed from Texas and brought with her a lot of new edge thinking about addictions and the JW think......we got into lots of trouble with the Elders over our little group, lol.

There was also a JW therapist a lot of witnesses went to in the San Diego area, they traveled from all over Cali and Arizona to see him. His waiting list was weeks long! I can't remember his name but I wonder what ever happened to him.

Interesting I would like to hear more as well so if megadude can enlighten us that would be great!

LOL I wondered what your interest would be in pharmacology Wild_Thing!

Kate

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Whoa, blast from the past! Dr. Picchioni was a QUACK, big time, who saw a cash cow in all of the Witnesses who needed psychiatric help. Chris went to see him once, on the advice of some of the guy's adoring public, and immediately saw him for what he was. David Sublet was one of the elders who promoted what was essentially a Witness program at Charter Suburban, a psychiatric facility in Grapevine, Texas. A bunch of elders and ministerial servants were removed from office because the Society decided that the program was undermining their authority with the flock. I mean, some of the doctors (Picchioni included) were suggesting that [gasp] teenagers SHOULDN'T GO TO THE MEETINGS IF IT MADE THEM FEEL BAD!!! It was quite the scandal. We considered him a quack because of his cookie-cutter advice to Chris, who was trying to deal with memories of his childhood abuse -- by that time we'd done enough research on the subject to be able to tell the charlatans from the real, caring doctors who wanted to actually help their patients and he did not fit the latter category. His sage advice was that Chris had to start a program of rigorous exercise (???) or he wouldn't keep Chris as a patient. Oh, yeah, right, THAT'S incentive for a second appointment!

Nina

• Jade
    Jade

I know Dr Picchioni very well and I don't think he's a quack at all. My experience was very positive with him. He was very instrumental in helping me get out of the JW's and hooked me up with an attorney that helped tremendously during my divorce.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Sorry, Jade, I didn't want to step on anyone's toes about the doctor. I'm glad he helped you! I just don't think he knew as much about child abuse as he let on, and at that time Chris and I were just desperate to find someone who could help. He saw 13 doctors (ooooh, lucky number!) before finding someone who knew what she was talking about. Dr. Picchioni just wasn't a positive experience for him.

Nina

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit