Personal Accomplishments

by Uzzah 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Uzzah
    Uzzah

For years, the Watchtower drilled into us that we are just specs of unimportant dust. Personal pride was touted as being something wrong and a trait of the devil.

That mentality stifles creativity and initiative, which I suppose is what they want. I often used to refute this even while a Dub since the Scripture says 'not to think more of yourself than it is necessary to think'. So it is important to think something of yourself.

What have you done since leaving the Borg that you are proud of accomplishing? School, career, financial, volunteerism, self-improvement are all potentials.

As JW's we were never allowed to brag about our skills or accomplishments but we aren't JW's anymore!!!

This is your moment to shine.

Uzzah

• Whiskeyjack
    Whiskeyjack

The biggest accomplishment was getting my education (after high school I was totally without any carewer direction other than the option of "pioneering or going to Bethel) . I wasn't keen on a business degree but it was the only one attainable while I worked at two jobs to make ends meet (no financial help from folks) and I still had to bugger myself financially. The funny thing is that my "goal" was just to prove to myself what I could have accomplished (during my fadaway period) if I'd gotten a "regular start out of the gate".

My lack of personal ambition is one of my behavioural "challenges" from my upbringing (I don't have a woman applying any shoe polish to my backside).

W.

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

I'm not doing much now that's different from when I was a JW. After a few years as a JW it became obvious that I'd never make progress? in the congregation, so I began to put my energies into furthering my education and career. The biggest difference is that now I can do this without the congregation laying a guilt trip on me.

Walter

• ballistic
    ballistic

Yeah, I did the education thing after leaving, (I guess a lot of us did) and have worked for several of the worlds biggest corporations after that.

But I would say... do not underestimate the change you go through. The change is the greatest achivement. Changing, maturing, growing up, my outlook is so clear, I am left with a feeling "who was I back then" and astonishment that I could have ever soaked up the brainwashing.

I was a pioneer and a very sincere witness, ended up in the gutter and with no one. Disfellowshipping left me on my knees. And now...

• larc
    larc

Well, I was not that good at the Self Improvement thingy. I did do well at the education stuff.

• HadEnuf
    HadEnuf

Cathy L.

• scootergirl
    scootergirl

My biggest accomplishment was taking that big old pile of a mess that was left after leaving the borg and making myself into a free thinking, intelligent, humorous, well rounded person who actually has self esteem now! I have been met w/many challenges in my life, many of which I could have decided to be a victim to, but I refused to let that happen. Let's just say I have lots of "character" now...along with integrity, grace and dignity. For the first time in my life I can actually say that I not only know who I am but I also like who I am. It took a lot of hard work and was a long road to go down, but well worth every step along the way.

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

no education..

but my personal accomplishment has been going to therapy, finding out why i felt like life was like watching a movie.. how disconnected i was from reality.

i've gotten REAL FRIENDS.. that dont care what my service record is.

i've learned to forgive others but mostly myself.

if i ever get a car... i'll resume therapy, find out what kind of classes i qualify for ( being poor can qualify me for a lot of job training i think!) and hopefully start moving on even further!

• Honesty
    Honesty

Helping a couple of dubs people break the chains of oppression that a satanic cult had wrapped around them.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Still making a kick ass living doing what I love inspite of no education. Those caulk suckers in Brooklyn couldnt make me a janitor.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit