WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THE TERRI SCHIAVO CASE?

by Mary 95 Replies latest jw friends

• Mary
    Mary

There is apparently no chance at all of her ever recovering from her present state, but do you think she should live or die? For myself, I think she's better off dead than living---no, existing---in her present state. I for one, have instructed my family to let me die if something like this ever happened to me.

Of course, there's the big controversy with both sides screaming their view points on Capitol Hill. What is your viewpoint of her situation? Would YOU want to live like that, or would you rather die?

• Golf
    Golf

I wouldn't want to be a burden on others. Of course, that's my take.

Golf

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

I watched my mother in law in a similar state the past 5 years. Alzheimer's had reduced her to little more than a vegetative state. She had said for years that is not how she wanted to live, and where it within my power I would have acceded to her wishes.

I do not believe in life at any cost. The phrase "quality of life" carries some meaning with me. Living in a vegetative state in a nursing home the rest of your life, as this person apparently will, is no life. She made her wishes known when she was cogent, and her wishes should be honored. I find it disgusting that some have used this as a political football for their own agenda.

• NewLight2
    NewLight2

Michael Schiavo wants Terri dead because he wants to destroy the evidence that he was a wife-abuser. The parents want to prove this, but he will not allow that to happen. Evidence may show that Terri was strangled and THAT is why she is in this condition right now.

Read the history on her battle to live here:

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=43383

In my opinion, the Michael Schiavo case is just another one like the Scott Peterson case. Michael needs to be put on trial for what he has done to Terri. This case is NOT about right-to-die as Michael has tried to make it out to be!

NewLight2

• kls
    kls

I would not want to exsist like her and i do have a will that states to let me die. I have mixed feeling that if the parents want to take care of her that is their choice and Terri has no idea what is even happening to her but yet i understand the husbands point that he knows she would not want to live in her present state,so i guess i am just not sure.

• Satanus
    Satanus

I have no opinion on this.

SS

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    I have no opinion on this.

"I have no response to that." -- Meg Ryan, Joe vs. the Volcano

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride
    Michael Schiavo wants Terri dead because he wants to destroy the evidence that he was a wife-abuser. The parents want to prove this, but he will not allow that to happen. Evidence may show that Terri was strangled and THAT is why she is in this condition right now.

That's what Terri's family is saying but no Medical Professional has found evidence to back up such a story. Doctors can determine if injuries are caused by abuse or the eating disorder (Bulimia) she had.

I don't know what Michael Schiavo's motives are if he even has any. It's very possible that Terri's wishes would be to die. A recent poll on tv found that 87% of people interviewed would rather die than live like that and 8% would rather live.

• JustTickledPink
    JustTickledPink

She starved her body for years due to her own actions, bulimia, and weakened her muscles including her heart muscle. I'm not blaming her, just think that her own actions contributed to the fact her body can't recover.

Her husband could have pulled the plug on her years ago but has done everything legally and the proper way. If he wanted her dead to cover something up, he would have done it already. I think that's BS. She married her husband that makes him her legal decision maker, her parents need to accept that and let her go.

IF that had ever happened to me I would rather have died a long time ago than be turned into a public spectacle. There is NO quality of life there. Every Doctor has said there is not chance for recovery. Just allow her some peace and dignity.

• JustTickledPink
    JustTickledPink

The thing is, feeding tubes are removed every day. When they have a living will in place. They quietly and peacfully are allowed to die with dignity, there is no spectacle. This case shows the importance of having a living will.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit