How many should partake this year at the memorial?

by M.J. 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• M.J.
    M.J.

How many should partake this year at the memorial? How many of the original anointed, whose number was "sealed" in 1935 would likely be alive today?

I've examined the general survival rate of people of this age group in the US. More specifically, the survival rate of the general US population which was over the age of 16 in the year 1935 through the year 2003. Then applying that rate to the number of anointed in 1935 to get the number that should be alive today. I'm assuming here that all anointed were over the age of 16 when the 144,000 positions filled up.

Additionally, I discounted the number of "backfilled" positions from my estimate, as they should be negligible, especially since the anointed represent the most exclusive group of holy ones God ever created!

To do this we first need to find out how many folks over the age of 16 in the year 1935 were alive in 2003:

According to this chart,

http://www.census.gov/popest/national/asrh/NC-EST2003/NC-EST2003-01.pdf

Americans aged over 84 the year 2003 totaled 4,713,465 people. These survivors would have been over the age of 16 in 1935.

If we subtract the foreign born people from this number, we get a good estimate of how many of this group was living in the US in 1935. We find the number of foreign-born people over 84 in 2003 is 394,000 from here:

http://www.census.gov/population/socdemo/foreign/ppl-174/tab02-01.pdf

And subtracting it from our total population over 84 years old gives us: 4,319,465

OKAY! The total US population in 1935 was approximately 127,200,000, interpolated from this chart: http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0110380.html

Of this total population, the number over the age of 16 can be estimated from this chart:

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0110384.html

One can roughly estimate that about 65% of the population in 1935 was over the age of 16, which leaves us with: 127,200,000 * 0.65 = 82,680,000.

SO, out of this population of 82,680,000, aged over 16 in 1935,

were alive in the year 2003. That?s a survival rate of 5.2 %

If we apply this survival rate to the original number of anointed people in 1935, and assuming this totaled about 40,000 people:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/84381/1386578/post.ashx#1386578

then roughly 2,080 of this original crop should have been alive in 2003. But the number of partakers in 2003 was 8,565. This was about 4 times as many partakers as one would likely expect by looking at these numbers. That?s pretty far off, even accounting for some of the fudge factors here. With each passing year since 2003, the size of this group, all in their late 80s, should be dropping down dramatically, as the mortality rate goes up exponentially with every passing year. So this year one would expect quite a dropoff from the year before.

Food for thought. I?d be interested to see how the numbers add up.

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

Boy! That is what I call some fuzzy math! How long did it take you to come with those calculations???

Two things always make me laugh when I think about the annointed:

(1) The idea that positions can be "backfilled".

(2) The annointed people I always knew were absolutely crazy! ( think it must be a prerequisite!)

• willyloman
    willyloman

I can't critique the math because that's not my field, but your point is well made. The number of surviving annointed ones would surely be WAY below 8,000 by now, if -- and this is where they run into problems -- IF the concept were valid in the first place.

But since this is all bullpuckey, of course the numbers don't coincide with any sort of mathematical model. Or logic. Or even credibility.

So... the numbers will probably go up again this year.

And no one at the KH will dare say a word about it.

• ezekiel3
    ezekiel3
    If we apply this survival rate to the original number of anointed people in 1935, and assuming this totaled about 40,000 people

What is your source for 40,000 anointed in 1935? This has always been a mystery to me.

• Sheri
    Sheri

MJ.

Great post this was something I had pondered, however, notso deeply. The numbers just do not add up and I wonder what the new light will be one of these days or should I say Watchtowers.

Sheri

• orbison11
    orbison11

well mj

• orbison11
    orbison11

sheesh,,,anyway mj

that is some figuirin,,,,just wondering,,,,,how many years do you think it will take to get to a 0 annointed, given they are already at an age of 80,,,,,two years,,,,4-5? and considering there should only be 2000 true partakers at the time,,,,so based on 2000 being the number what are we looking at,,,,2007? or so

wendy

• Pwned
    Pwned

it was so funny growing up looking around to see if anyone was going to partake. i always used to pass the wine close to my lips just to see my mother almost jump out of her seat. there was only one guy that ever partook in our hall, he wasnt even an elder and was only like 40 (in the early 90's), i dont think anyone believed him. i used to always ask my dad how people knew and i could never get a straight answer, it was all sooo mysterious, too funny.

• Mamacat
    Mamacat

I remember the first thing I would look at when the new yearbook came out is how many partakers there were. I believed it would drop steadily until it became close to 0. I figured it was an advance warning system thing. Then, I could work on being a good girl when the time was near. lol It would drop like 200 in a year...I did the math and figured out how many years away it was once. My mom once told me that it didn't mean anything because Jehovah could kill them all off quickly when A came. What a scary thought!

How do they explain that the number has actually went up in recent years?

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

The only way they will get the numbers down is by passing around Kool-Aid

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit