Need help

by fairchild 21 Replies latest jw friends

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

Get some spiders to take care of 'em. You'd need to not be afraid of spiders, though, unlike me.

• under74
    under74

My mom has a cat and a while back had to have some people come to spray for bugs. I think it took around 4 hours so she left the cat at my brother's place. They told my mom it was safe to let the cat in after the 4 hours and she did. The cat's still alive. I think most places want to be seen as "environmentally safe" so they won't use spray that'll harm your cat. I'd just call around.

• Golf
    Golf

Have your cat stay over my place for a few days while you spray! How about taking it the vet or a neighbor?

We had this problem with a cat and dog around, we sprayed and ONLY the ladybugs died. By the way, are there any 'gentlemanbugs?"

Golf

• Sirona
    Sirona

Living with an infestation like that is GROSS! How can you possibly live even one day in that situation? Insects are dirty! YUK

Get the problem sorted out! How could you possibly live with that when they're getting into your food? Are you swallowing them at night?

You can let your cat stay in a neighbours house for a few hours, or like people said, even the vet would have the cat for a few hours. For gawds sake I can't believe you're living with that.

Sirona

• fairchild
    fairchild

Xandria, that seems like a very good link you gave me. I bookmarked it (got to run to work and don't have time to read it right now).

Classicist, I have quite a few spiders, they don't scare me at all, but the ladybugs outnumber them by far.

• fairchild
    fairchild

Purza, I'm not sure (I'm color blind), but I do remember someone telling me that my ladybugs seem to have a weird color. I'll ask someone what color they are.

I'm concerned that you seem to be making excuses for not getting rid of them. Seriously. Get your cat somewhere and get those damn bugs out of your house.
    Sometimes things aren't just that simple. The problem has 'exploded' recently, before that, I had a lot of them, but not enough to really worry about. Now that things have gotten worse, I am obviously planning on doing something about it, that's why I asked for suggestions. However, this being my busy time of year, I work about 90 hours a week, sometimes 3 different shifts a day. I usually go home for an hour between shifts, but that isn't long enough to do something drastic. I'm all by myself at two of my jobs, and at my third job, I have co-workers, but this time of year, we don't have back ups, so it's hard to take time off on any of the three jobs right now. I'm working 7 days a week right now, and my next day off is April 4th, that will be the day I will have to handle the lady bug problem.
  • Purza
    Purza

I was asking because we have a problem in our garden with "cucumber beetles". At first we thought they were the good guys because they resembled lady bugs. Boy, were we wrong. They are evil, evil creatures. The only way to get rid of them is with chemicals (which we refuse to use on our garden). BF takes the shop vac and tries to vacuum them up (even in mid-flight). It is a kick to see him out there. Anyway. . . I have asked everyone I know about these creatures and they all say the chemicals are the only way to get rid of them.

I am not sure what state you are in, but I would recommend not leaving the cat around if you decide to bomb the place.

Best of luck to you.

Purza

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

fairchild, Ladybug infestations as pictured below are a symptom of hygene issues. You must remove the source of the problem.

:)

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

• Research entomologist have have proven that a combination of menthol and camphor will repel ladybugs. What household products contain these two ingredients? Check out the medicine cabinet! Vick's Vapor Rub®, and Bengay® are two such products.
    • Could a vaporizer work effectively in a room overcome with ladybugs using either of the two products above mixed in the water?
    • Could the menthol and camphor be mixed with another agent and sprayed topically on the house or around the areas that are effected outside? How does this "new" product effect siding, trim, or paint? Is it effective?
    • What about creating your own sticky "Ladybug Trap" using Vaseline® and a slice of apple as a lure for inside the house? Are there any other non-toxic household products that maintain a sticky feel even after being exposed to the air? Investigate! What shape would you design the trap, triangle, square? Would you hang it out of reach, but in the infested room?
    • What about eucalyptus? It also has repelling effects. Maybe place it strategically around the house. Or crush and apply somehow.
  • liquidsky
    liquidsky

Lady bug infestations are quite common in Washington. Every fall and winter our house is crawling with the little critters. It has never gotton as bad as you describe though. Usually I just suck them up with the vacuum and that takes care of it. If I were you, I'd call an exterminator ASAP. That many lady bugs is just gross.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit