counsel from elders

by bonnzo 15 Replies latest jw friends

• bonnzo
    bonnzo

how many have had elder give u this counsel(or if /were an elder given this counsel):

"its come to our attention that u were(fill in space with ANYTHING that is up to your own conscience that is OK in WT world such as pg-13 movie, certain music, or choice of entertainmen). this has offended the conscience of others" then proceeds to counsel u to cease and desist so as to appease the other persons conscience.

isn't this a case of the sensitive conscience forcing me to abide their concience even more so than they claim im offending theirs? im not forcing them to do anything, yet they force me (or try ) to not do something i have a right to do. whose worse?

rom. 2:15- "while their conscience is bearing witness with them and between THEIR OWN THOUGHTS, THEY ARE BEING ACCUSED OR EXCUSED. conscience is to determine YOUR OWN ACTIONS, not someone else's

why dont elders read this to the complainer: 1 thess 4:11- "and to make it your aim to live quietly and MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS"

• Siddhashunyata
    Siddhashunyata

My experience with this led me to understand that the elder (s) conveniently used this form of intimidation to enforce their personal view on a matter. Thats why they didn't counsel the "weaker conscience".

• Maverick
    Maverick

I agree, generally if the thing complained about is something the elder agrees with he will exercise his imaginary authority and councel the offender. People are slick, they will find an elder that they know will most likely agree with them. Often the complainer has other motives, browney points or a dislike of the other person. This is the side of the religion I had the most distain for and WTS like to keep their people petty and small thinking so they encourage all this stupidness.

• JustTickledPink
    JustTickledPink

bothering someone else's conscience boils down to, it irritated my old b**chy wife who always wants me to meddle into other people's business. I swear they live their lives like a SOAP OPERA!!!

They always counseled people against watching soap operas, you don't have to, they literally LIVE THEM. So and so did this... let's talk about it, let's talk about them... let's cut them off.... now let's do this.... etc. It's all a bunch of dramatic bull*hit.

• joenobody
    joenobody

I received some counsel once like this from an elder. My brother and I had attended a concert by a particular band (a progressive rock band, nothing metal etc). Anyways, the elder said to me, "now that you are an MS, you might want to be careful about what you do so that you don't offend some other's consciences."

I asked, "Is there something wrong with the band that we went to see?"

"Err... no."

"Then I don't see what the problem is".

To which he had no argument. The whole "you might stumble someone else" argument is garbage. It allows them to deem some things as conscience decisions that the WTS has not particular stance on, but allows for local standards to be imposed. Pure garbage.

• Honesty
    Honesty

What a screwed up set of values these people have to abide by. I thank God every day for pulling me out of this mind controlling satanic cult.

• jaredg
    jaredg

hahaha...this reminds me of a story. i was about 16 and had grown a little soul chip under my lip. well we were on break during service and this elder, mark wizniowski, the WT conductor, sits if front of me and says "if you want to keep reading the watchtower you need to shave of that lip hair," i felf abliged to tell him that it's called a soul chip and if he had a problem with it then he needs to take it up with the PO (the PO was black man and had a soul chip). boy did he get mad, his face truned beat red right there infront of everyone. my dad supported me and said that i was correct in having the right to have a soul chip but in order to keep the peace in the congregation i should shave it off. so i did....but i have a full goatee now so you can lick my balls mark

• garybuss
    garybuss

Puss gut pea brain told me I was a bad influence on the younger Witnesses because I wore boots to the meetings so I bought a Harley and started riding that to the Hall and then I bought a black 1959 Cadillac for my service car in 1965. He was right, I was a bad influence, now many of them wear boots and drive Cadillacs and Lincolns.

When the elder told me I wasn't spiritual enough without a necktie, I kicked the door of the Hall on my way out and never went back. I have a very low tolerance for mindless interference. Too low to ever be a Witness.

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool
    When the elder told me I wasn't spiritual enough without a necktie, I kicked the door of the Hall on my way out and never went back.

It's all about appearances for them. Sometimes they counselled me because my tie was too bright.

A child molester is acceptable to them as long as he wears a necktie because that makes him spiritual?.

Walter

It allows them to deem some things as conscience decisions that the WTS has not particular stance on. joenobody

I wasn't aware that there was anything that the Watchtower doesn't have a particular stance on.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit