Mother Troubles

by joelbear 20 Replies latest jw friends

• joelbear
    joelbear

My mother called Tuesday night. As many of you know, I have chosen to stop communication with my family as of the beginning of this year.
    My mother has called 4 or 5 times to talk, but I have not called her, my father or my brother or anyone in his family. All of them are witnesses of varying degrees.

I tend to go into a deep depression each time my mother calls. The guilt burden she presents is just too heavy. I have tried to explain this to her in a kind way many times, but it just doesn't get through.

I am faced with a barrage of how unhappy I have made her, but that she still loves me. Its a game she has played with me since I was a small child. If I misbehaved (which truthfully I rarely did) or wanted more freedom than she wanted me to have, she would get depressed, threaten suicide or to disappear and abandon the family (she did this to me repeatedly from as far back as I can remember). I was so terrified that she would abandon me that I used to check for back entrances to ladies restrooms when we were out shopping to make sure she wouldn't get away through another exit. I can remember her sitting at the table and pulling on her hair while telling me how unhappy I was making her. So much for the witnesses making you a happy person. It sure didn't work with my mother and she is as faithful a witness as there can be.

It is hard for me to make decisions for myself now. I get very confused because I try to factor in the feelings of all the people around me so that I don't upset anyone. This hampers my ability to build real relationships with people.

Any suggestions on how to cope with this and/or try to communicate with my mother more successfully would be appreciated. She is 75 and in bad health.

thanks in advance

Joel

• Skimmer
    Skimmer

Hello joelbear:

The self-help book _Pulling Your Own Strings_ by Dr. Wayne Dyer may be of some assistance. The author writes at length about the various psychological ploys that some people use to manipulate others and how one can be aware of these and handle them.

Remember, you are not responsible for what goes on inside of someone else's head; you are responsible only for what goes on inside of your head. Why let someone else take over your responsibility?

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

Hi JB honey....gosh it really pours when it rains by you kiddo. It could be that she is calling you so relentlessly because there isnt anybody else left to kvetch at about how miserable they make her. She knows she can push your buttons because you are still kind to her. It might be the rest of humanity is sick of her game and wont listen to her abuse any more. And it is abuse. I believe you love her as well, but for a mother to use abandonment as a way to control their children is, well, twisted. It sounds too like it is too late for her to get help with that. People who are inherently unhappy dont want to NOT be unhappy either. Its like all they have.

My own mother emotionally abandoned me at a very early age. Always was in my face about my attitude, or the LOOK I just gave her or the TONE OF VOICE I used or because she suspected me of thinking badly about her. Slapped me a lot because she couldnt control me. I recall scant few times in my life being held by the woman. She is like this today at age 72...walks around with a chip on her shoulder the size of Mount Rushmore...shes the fifth head on the rock. I am thank god 1500 miles away now, but my poor sister has to deal with her now on holidays. NOTHING is ever good enough for her. NOTHING her kids did or do is ever enough. Shes a miserable person and anyone who gets too close to her gets sucked in to her misery.

She wrote me a letter and told me she was now telling people that she and I are "estranged." She likes that. Likes to remind me of it too as if I would forget. People are like, "YOu have to reach out more to her, YOU have to be the better person, YOU have to show more love..." I have tried and tried and tried...and by God Im not gonna lay down in front of that bus again! My sister told me that she has started to feel like she was personally responsible for our mothers happiness, that she must create it and sustain it for my mother. Well...my sister at almost age 50 is tired of being the Fixemup Chappy for Mom. Mom is basically on her own now. And nobody is listening to her complain about the conditions in her mud puddle...the puddle she chose to sit in and refuses to get out of.

You remind me of my sister JB...I think you are doing the right thing by staying out of the way of her venom. And you know after all this time she isnt calling you to say anything nice to you. She has made the choice to be nasty to you...you have made the choice not to take it any more. There are 6 billion people on the planet honey, and tons of them are willing to love you and be loved by you just the way you are. And it wont hurt. Love doesnt hurt.

WE love you
    Dawn

• safe4kids
    safe4kids

((((((Joel))))))),

I understand that whole guilt and manipulation thing...one of my favorite sayings is: "If it's not one thing, it's my mother". Please don't think that I am making light of your feelings but I get the feeling from your posts that you often use humor as well to help cope with painful feelings.

I echo what Skimmer said about Wayne Dyer's book...actually, he has another one that I found very beneficial called "Your Erroneous Zones" which focuses more on our own negative thoughts and feelings and how to eradicate them. Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that you aren't alone and that I'm glad you shared your feelings with us.

Sisterly ((((hugs)))),
    Dana

"Someday we'll find it...the rainbow connection...the lovers, the dreamers and me"

Kermit the Frog
    "Rainbow Connection"

• LDH
    LDH

Dana, I LOVE Rainbow Connection.....

Joel,
    I'm very sorry, I really am. I also cut off most communication with my family for the same reasons. My daughter is there visiting now and believe me they are pumping her FULL of JW that I will have to repair when she gets home.
    The last 'real' conversation I had with my mother regarding this topic, I tried politely to let her 'guilt trip' me etc etc but after one too many comments, I said to her something along the lines of "Yeah, and being a JW has just made YOU so damn happy, right?" Immediate backpedaling blah blah blah.

You mention your mom is in bad health; are the 'friends' coming to visit her?

You could always do what my sister does, she says "Mom I love you but we're not going to talk about this. If this is all you have to talk about, I'm leaving/hanging up, etc." Seems to work, albeit my mother 'clicking' her tongue a few times.

Am sorry.

I often wonder if the reason more of us don't have 'father' problems is because in our culture, men aren't as expressive verbally.

(PS LovesDubs, I think we are twins, separated at birth! CONTACT ME! lol!)

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Joel,

Can I recommend a counselor for yourself. Honestly, it would help. Abandonment issues are really tough to deal with, trust me. Even if she didn't ever really leave. See a counselor, and have the counselor tell you how better to communicate with your mom.

Yeru

YERUSALYIM
    "Vanity! It's my favorite sin!"
    [Al Pacino as Satan, in "DEVIL'S ADVOCATE"]

• nytelecom1
    nytelecom1

stop being a pussy and tell your mom the truth

but thats just my opinion

• lauralisa
    lauralisa

Hi joelbear:

How familiar your situation is to me! You are clearly feeling a lot of anguish and my heart goes out to you. What a classic example of "power struggle"! I think you are courageous for taking the steps you have to protect yourself from a crazy-making situation, but it is clear that you still feel confusion, guilt, and ambivalence about what the "right" course of action is regarding your mom.

If I could I'd like to recommend a book I read almost ten years ago that helped me profoundly - The Dance of Anger, by Harriet Lerner, PhD. It's written primarily for women, but anyone of any gender or orientation would benefit from it. Here's a very paraphrased quote:

"... the ability to use anger as a tool for change requires that we gain a deeper understanding and knowledge of how relationships operate.

Thus, we will be looking at the ways in which we betray and sacrifice the self in order to preserve harmony with others ("de-selfing"); we will be exploring the delicate balance between individuality and togetherness in relationships.... the roles and rules that define our lives and serve to elicit our deepest anger while forbidding its expression.... analyzing how relationships get stuck and how they can get unstuck... how close relationships are akin to circular dances, in which the behavior of each partner provokes and maintains the behavior of the other."

btw, there's a chapter devoted to managing / coping with "Anger at our Impossible Mothers"
    I was amazed at the insight I gained from this book. She describes control patterns, power struggles, battles of will, manipulative behavior, etc. etc. in just about all kinds of our most intimate relationships, and the effect is has on everyone involved, which is usually anger (!) depression, defeat, despair, and even the decision to simply break off all contact because it's just too debilitating. I really learned how to communicate or at least preserve my sense of "what's really going on here?!" with family members who would stop at nothing to get me to conform to their will.

One time when I was visiting my parents, I had plans to go visit a friend for the night. My mother was having this major fight with my father. She withdrew to her room, and when I went in to tell her "I'm on my way... see you tommorrow at whatever time..." she told me she was having a heart attack. She was lying on the bed, clutching at her chest, gasping for breath.... I lunged at the phone to call 911, but she wouldn't let me. I wanted to get my father in there, but she wouldn't let me. I ended up cancelling my plans, so I could hang out with her in her stupid bedroom, waiting for the "heart attack" to become more pronounced, and she had a captive audience as she described for the kazillionth time how much of a wad-brain my father was, how he'd ruined her life, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, etc.

The things you described about your mother's behavior in the past sound familiar and the only "normal" response to such manipulative extremes is depression and confusion!!

I actually learned how to feel compassion and understanding for certain people in my family even though their behavior was toxic when I learned how to step back and not engage in the dynamics anymore.

There's some kind of weird unwritten rule in families that seems to read "if you don't see things my way, EVEN AT YOUR OWN EXPENSE, I'll do whatever it takes until you relent!" It's weird, but some people can learn to stop this dynamic. Other's can't , and then unfortunately it's time to get away or the price is your own sense of reality.

Anyway. I'm sorry you are in such a difficult situation, and wish you well. Sorry to recommend a self-help book (yawn) but this one does not just describe the problem really well, it gives solid information as to how to change stuff.

lauralisa, who fears mind-control

• Seven
    Seven

Dear Joel, I sincerely hope for your sake that you can continue to say "no" to the emotional blackmail. The deep depression with each call, the guilt trips, and the inability to trust left me a cripple. The JW mom. Can anyone other than one of us really comprehend what pain one of these Stepford christians are really capable of inflicting upon their children? She almost had me convinced it was me. An encounter with my Mom is like visiting day at the penitentiary. I can see her and talk to her, but there's no touching...no emotion. Hey, "dead Mom walking." Sitting there waiting for the end to arrive real soon. You see Joel, there's nothing we can say or do to get through to them. She wants to be where she's at. I've presented her with an alternative. She's incapable of or unwilling to respond. So be it. No more beating my heart up against the WT.

So what do we do? I don't know but I know what I'm not going to do. I'm not going to allow her to suck the joy out of my life with this insane horseshit. There's too much beauty to behold. I'll always love her and provide for her in her old age, but I'm done dying a slow death for her.

You're doing the best thing for you in keeping contact at a minimum. Best wishes to you Joel and hoping the pain will fade quickly-for us both.

{{hugs}}
    Seven

• claudia
    claudia

((((((((Joel)))))))

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit