Birthdays are a good memory

by Big Tex 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Yesterday was my son turned 9 years old. He's going to have his birthday party this Saturday but we took him out last night for his birthday dinner (he chose Red Lobster). He had been dying to see what we had bought him for his birthday and begged (with those big Puss N Boots eyes) to open "just one" present yesterday morning. So I told him he could open mine (it was a Leggo version of Hogwart's castle from Harry Potter).

He had to wait until that evening to open his sister's present and Nina's present so we decided to let him open them at the restaurant. He had already figured out what Jennie bought (Bionicles) but he was totally stumped about Nina's present. He tore it open with loud rips and tears. His eyes bugged out and his jaw dropped when he saw it was a Game Cube. Then he started shrieking (he had been asking for one for months but we'd say no). People around us turned to look, but I thought it was funny.

As soon as we got home, I hooked it up and he very happily played the game Nina had purchased along with the Game Cube. There is nothing quite like seeing the perfect delight and sheer joy of the perfect present.

When we were Witnesses, this moment would have been denied to us. But now the look on his face is a treasured memory I'll carry into old age.

Sometimes life is good.

Chris

• Angharad
    Angharad

What a great memory Chris, I can just imagine his face

Liam was the same at christmas, we had wanted this Yi-Gi-Oh collector tin for ages (whoever came up with yi-gi-oh cards is on a licence to print money !), when he opened it he yelled "Woah maan thats soooo mint" Apparently MINT is the word of approval at school at the moment.

Hope he has a great party. I can't imagine not letting ours enjoy their birthday now, its so harmless but makes them feel so special.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

Yes. It's so nice to be able to celebrate lifes moments with our families now. I am currently planning our son's 7th birthday party. He doesn't know, but it will be really cool.

((((Big Tex's Little One))))

J

• Nancy Drake
    Nancy Drake

That is so sweet, Big Tex.

For my son, the perfect present was getting him a Mario hat and white gloves and painting a mustache on his face. He pretends to be Mario all the time, and the sheer joy on his face when he looked in the mirror got me a little choked up.

He's gonna love that GameCube!!!!

Hugs to the birthday boy,

Tracy

• rwagoner
    rwagoner

My son will be 7 in May...he is a HUGE star wars fan so he thinks that part of his present is camping out on the sidewalk to be one of the first to see the new star wars film here in town. While we do plan on doing that...we wanted to do something really special since he became a big brother this year and has done such a great job helping and sharing mom and dad.

SOOOO...we're taking him to Disney World for a "Star Wars" weekend at the end of may....we've made all sorts of special plans with the resort for his birthday and he should go totally ape. He is even going to be "picked" to attend a special Jedi Training Academy that will end with him having a lightsaber duel on stage with none other that Darth Vader !!! LOL He's gonna crap !

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Big Tex,

Not only have you created memories for yourself, but you've created memories for Jackson. Some of MY best memories are from before my dad became a JW. I remember getting a bike one year for a birthday. I remember he threw me a surprise party another year. I remember the Korean family that owned the Dairy Queen brought the cake. Nothing better than an ice cream cake when you're six!

You're a great dad Chris. One day, your adult children will tell you that.

Andi

• Sassy
    Sassy

That is sooooo special! I'm so glad you guys got out while the kids were young enough to not miss out on these special memories!!

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Yes, they are great. My son turned 3 on Sunday. We had a party for him Sat. due to my hubby's work schedule.
    His face lit up when he saw all the Buzz Lightyear decorations and balloons. I got an ice cream cake (from DQ) with Buzz on it. He loved every minute of it.

I wasn't raised jw and studied on my own. So, this is the first party we've had for either of my kids, and it won't be the last.

• minimus
    minimus

Hmmm.I've never had a birthday celebration. I've given some presents to others and this past year I got a couple of Bday gifts. Now I want a celebration. Actually, I think I'd feel silly opening presents. Tex and Nina, I'm glad you're giving your kids a normal life!!!!

• Mamacat
    Mamacat

Aww! I am glad you got to share that with him!

My oldest son is 10, and he told me his favorite birthday was when I made cupcakes for his class and they all the number 6 on them in frosting. I brought them to school, and he was slightly embarrassed by all the attention, but he loved it!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit