As a single woman she became more independant

by purplesofa 19 Replies latest jw friends

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

exerpt from 2/1/05 WT is the truth Bearing Fruit in Those You Teach?

Consider how another Christian was able to help her Bible student. The student was attending meetings and sharing in the ministry and had already expressed a desire to get baptised. However, she appeared to be relying too much on herself rahter that on Jehovah. "As a single woman, she had become more independant than she realized," the Witness recalls. "I worried that she was headed for a physical breakdown or a spiritual fall.

So the Witness too the initiative to reason with the student on Matthew 6:33, encouragin her to adjust her priorities, put the Kingdom first, and trust in Jehovah to work matters out for the best. She asked her frankly: "Does living on your own sometimes make it difficult for you to rely on others, including Jehovah?" The student admitted that she had almost quit praying . The publisher then encouraged her to follow the advice found at Psalm 55:22 and throuw her burden on Jehovah because, as 1Peter 5:7 assures us, "he cares for you." Those words touched her heart. The Witness says, "That was one of the few times I saw her cry."

I cold not help but think this Bible student would soon have quit her job to be in service more or whatever to gain what it took to be baptised. And that her independant spirit was squealshed (hey its a word in Arkansas) She would become a robot like all the others and really start to cry alot.

And I really did not figure out why her being independant was the problem........it just seemed distorted and twisted.

• Odrade
    Odrade

They probably labeled her independent cause she challenged a brother. Maybe he said something stupid and she questioned him about it. That'll get you that "independent spirit" label in a hurry at the KH.

I think the brothers use "Independent Spirit" because they aren't allowed to say "Bitch" from the platform.

O

• Scully
    Scully

Odrade writes:

I think the brothers use "Independent Spirit" because they aren't allowed to say "Bitch" from the platform.

LMAO!!

They also like to use the term Jezebel Influence?. That one got used on me a few times.

• Dustin
    Dustin

I absolutely hate the way the organization treats women. As a man I see it as disgusting to them and insulting. I rely on my wife just as much as she relies on me. All people should have an independent spirit. You should be allowed to be your own person.

Dustin

• kaykay_mp
    kaykay_mp

If me being an independent woman = bitch, I'm damn proud of it.

laters

kaykay_mp

• jillbedford
    jillbedford

Throw your burden on Jehovah, quit your job for more field service? Who pays the bills then?

Guess I always had goals to avoid financial disaster, even if it meant missing meetings and field service time.

I must be a very bad person...........

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

I hate the jw definition of independence. As a single independent woman (ie lived on my own, nice car, good job) I constantly recieved unwelcome spiritual encouragement from other dubs. despite going to all the meetings and regular harrassing ministry work I still had sisters in the congregation who felt the need to offer me bible studies. They were worried about me?? It really OD's me.

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76

Jehovah's Witnesses have a very draconian and demeaning veiw of women. Only the men count in the society. A single successful independent woman is like kryptonite to them. I truly abhor "the weaker vessel" and "male headship" lines. I as a woman feel that no man is better or above me. I am my own person, and enjoy independent thinking, debate and making my own decisions.

Dragonlady76

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

As i remember sisters were not allowed to leave home except if they were getting married. There was one elder's daughter who left home to live in her own flat and continued to pioneer, but the poor love was totally outcast despite being a pioneer. Generally it was assumed that sisters who moved out were unable to listen to their parents advice and disobedient and head strong and wold come to no good. I hope she got out - her younger sister who I went to school with ended up seriously mentally ill as far as I know.

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

Throw your burden on Jehovah, quit your job for more field service? Who pays the bills then?

Have your bills forwarded to the PO at the Kingdumb Hall.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit