Then and now - sports

by larc 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Dan-O
    Dan-O
    I can still run a 5:25 mile at 27 years old.

That's nothing! I can drive a mile in less than 40 seconds at 40 years old!

• Golf
    Golf

Right on Larc. Sports was NOT discouraged in our 'days' and I'm grateful for that. Sports has always been a religion for me. I began to lose interest in sports because of geediness on the part of the owners and players. My love was playing the game, losing or winning wasn't the motivating force, its the LOVE of the game. I get a high on competition.

The org. has too much 'control' on the lives of its adherents. I'm totally against denying people their freedom of choice. They deny their adherents the right to enjoy life and to be themselves. Yeah, 'their' adherents meaning if you join my group, you play by my rules or else.

I do find that some on this forum deny the freedom of expression and opinions because it differs with their's. To me, this is no different than being a witness!

Yes, being a JW in the earlier days was different.

Golf

• mtbatoon
    mtbatoon

Didn?t effect me one way or the other. I was rubbish at sports even though I had to do an extra lesson of it each week instead of RE. I was a chubby little chap and darts wasn?t on the curriculum.

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

I went through school in the 70's and early 80's and sports were a total no-no which was one of the single biggest reasons that I despised the org as a child (the five mind numbing meetings a week didn't help either). It got to the point when I got to high school that I forged my parents signature so I could play football and wrestle. I had always been a good kid, never acted out or got into any kind of trouble so they bought the outrageous fibs I told about where I was all the time. I had neighbors that helped me out as well driving me to and from practices etc. and helping cover for me. They eventually caught me and there was a major blow up. At that point I threw down the gauntlet and told them if they took away sports things were going to get real ugly. The coach came to the house and told the folks look, the kid wants to play ball, you are going to punish him for that? Do you know what sort of stuff he could be getting into? My parents weren't bad people really, just trying to do what they were taught from the platform was right and I think they sensed we were at a cross roads, a couple of teachers called and the school shrink that basically told them if I wasn't allowed some outlet that they weren't sure what was going to happen. So we made a deal and I was allowed to play, if there wasn't practice I had to go to the meetings. My dad was a MS at the time and they took that away because of the sports and I appreciated later the sacrifice he made for me. Incidentally that's where I got the nickname Big Dog, I was an offensive lineman and linebacker and anybody who ever played football understands that the game, especially on the line is nothing more than hand to hand combat. I guess I would growl like a junkyard dog when I locked up with the opposing player. I didn't even know I was doing it, it certainly wasn't to be cool it just came out and the guys starting calling me Big Dog because of it. I love sports to this day and am so glad I got a chance to play as it taught me so many things that have served me well in life. It is so sad that children are denied so many experiences by the WBTS, you can never go back, never recapture the fun and the sense that anything is possible, that you could be a pro football player or big league baseball player. Childhood is such a special time for dreaming and trying things out and for just having fun and for many of us sports were a huge part of that.

• JAVA
    JAVA

In the mid 1960?s we had an elder in the congregation that was a graduate of Ohio State. He attended Ohio State on a full scholarship by running track. During that time period, he was only one of a few JWs that had a college degree, and as a result, had a high-paying job with Ohio Bell. By the late 1960?s sports and college was a sign of spiritual weakness.

• Mamacat
    Mamacat

Early 90's... My mom actually let me try out for soccer, and I made it. Considering I had never been able to play any organized sports, I was proud of myself. Then, she said I couldn't join the team. A few coaches/teachers called the house and told her how it would make me well-rounded and look good on college applications, etc. My dad was for it, but he said my mom would have to pick me up after the practices. She said she couldn't be bothered with it, it would make us late for meetings, and she refused.

I think it was cruel she even let me try out if she had no intention of letting me play.

My older boys both play soccer, and one also plays basketball. Sports are wonderful for kids because they learn teamwork. Also, not everyone is great at academics, and it gives them something to feel good about themselves.

• stopthepain
    stopthepain

I found the org was easier on girls when it came to organized sports.I was robbed of any athletics as well.It was the only thing I was even a little good at.All those doors slammed shut in my face,no pun intended,for what,to serve a publishing company,in a family that was so far from loving,I have a hard time with this as well.

• Englishman
    Englishman

This is one JW who really was a famous legend in his time. So famous, they've even written a song about him called "God's Footballer". http://hopefulamphibian.blogs.com/hopeful_amphibian/2005/03/gods_footballer.html

Englishman.

• fleaman uk
    fleaman uk

Ah yes Peter Knowles.

I prefer the song about his Brother tho.

Altogether now "nice one Cyril..............."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit