Letter from Bethel

by observer 22 Replies latest jw friends

• observer
    observer

TO ALL ELDERS AND MINISTERIAL SERVANTS IN FINLAND

Dear Brothers,

Almost hundred years ago first publishers representing the truth of Bible came to west coast of Finland and that marked the beginning of emphatic preaching of good news of Kingdom in this country. First and second generation of Publishers did meritoriously their part in that work. This is not the time for stopping still. Do you wholeheartly agree?

Overall in the world increase in amount of publishers has continued, but in Finland, like most other western countries, we have took note that the increase has turned even slight decrease. Reasons for that have been deliberated much. There are reasons that are independed from us, reasons which we cannot affect. But there are reasons that are dependend on us and to those we can affect. Those are e.g. directing to find easy way of life, materialism or achieving education. Or unreasonable time usage for pleasures, cottaging, amusements and traveling. Also lack of will for carrying the burden, lack of commitment, irresponsibleness, indolence and decline of moral standards. That kind of characteristic features for worldly have in some extent affected negatively in our activeness. What could we do?

--Published in finnish H2O by an anonymous writer (translation into english and errors by me)

..the letter continues with Hebrews 12:1 and encourages elders and ministerial servants to take lead in service.

I think those are pretty hard words about the elders and ministerial servants. Some anonymous writer who has couple of times written inside information about Bethel at finnish forum of H2O, claimed that elder bodies from congregations have in greater extent raised against "mighty orders from finnish branch office", even without fearing to be condemned as an apostate. Even one of the leading brothers (well-known here, of course) in the finnish branch office is claimed to be said "What the heck of conspiracy is going on at the congregations?" Who knows if that's true, but in the light of the recent letter, it may be..

Seems like we are living in interesting times.

• metatron
    metatron

This is excellent news as it suggests that cracks are beginning to form in the self proclaimed 'spiritual paradise'.

Glad to hear it!

I note the Society's above it all attitude in which the local brothers are to blame, but never the hierarchy at the top.

metatron

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    Reasons for that have been deliberated much.

Two reasons for this statement IMHO;

1- An underlying fear that the organization is in trouble.

2- Brothers, don't bother to think about it too hard individually - we will direct your thinking here and get you back on track.

Jeff

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Our BOE got a letter from the branch almost exactly like this a few years ago. They blame us completely for low hours and poor meeting attendance. They tell us to do more, do more, do more, but give us less and less. We are in a depressed area and have to work twice as long just to have the basics. Then they tell us that the flock will fare little better than the servant body. (So is the world wide figures a reflection on the Governing Body of Elders?)

Then to add insult to injury the next time the CO came around he read that letter to the whole congregation. After he read it, he says "Well, now you know what these brothers (the elders) should be doing. Now lets see if they rise to the challenge and take care of you (the congregation). I was so pissed I could have ate nails.

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974
    Or unreasonable time usage for pleasures, cottaging, amusements and traveling. Also lack of will for carrying the burden, lack of commitment, irresponsibleness, indolence and decline of moral standards. That kind of characteristic features for worldly have in some extent affected negatively in our activeness.

How dare people lead normal lives, they should be out selling books!!!???

• melmac
    melmac
    How dare people lead normal lives, they should be out selling books!!!???

Hey! Isn't there a parable about the man who sold all his belongings and went on to sell books? (or was it to wait at the end in 1975? I don't remember). Or maybe too much wine in my head...

But anyway, how about that story of "if we don't preach the stones will preach"... or "the growth show the blessing of Jehovah (therefore it's not the merit of humans preaching)? Is "Jehovah`s hand too short"?

Are individuals able to stall Jehovah's will? If the Almight wants to separate his sheep, can mere individuals keep it from happening?

This show more and more that the WTS is just that: a book publishing company.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    But anyway, how about that story of "if we don't preach the stones will preach"

I see a fine opportunity for a very interesting experiment!

The WTS can *prove* beyond any doubt that THEY are in-fact the one and only true Christian religion by temporarily suspending ALL preaching activates and then observing whether or not rocks start going door-to-door offering RockTower and Agate magazines.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    RockTower and Agate magazines.

Top 10 funniest things I've heard on JWD. Hope you dont mind my pleagerizing that in my anti-witness work Elsewhere.

• Mary
    Mary

Also lack of will for carrying the burden

Matthew 23:4: For they bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne, and lay them on men's shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers.

And it this scripture doesn't have "Watchtower Society" written all over it, I don't know what does:

"...Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, Governing Body member, hypocrites! for you travel by sea and land to make one convert, and when he is made, you make him twofold more the child of hades than yourselves...."

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    After he read it, he says "Well, now you know what these brothers (the elders) should be doing. Now lets see if they rise to the challenge and take care of you (the congregation). I was so pissed I could have ate nails.

Beautiful stuff! And when the book study attendance is still in the toilet 6 months later, will it be because the book study is a re-study of a book that is a re-hash of other books that have been studied through 5 or 6 times? No, it will be because the local elders aren't doing their part.

Of course, it all makes so much sense now.

Dave

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit