Just got back from the Kingdom Hall.....

by jimbob 10 Replies latest jw friends

• jimbob
    jimbob

The wife and I just got back from the Kingdom Hall this afternoon. Some of you may recall that said we would be going back today for a memorial of a close friend of the family. So I thought I would share the experience.

I have to start out by saying just getting ready to go was interesting. I had deja vu all over again. I felt all that was missing was my briefcase..

Anyway, the wife started getting really irritated while we were getting ready and being pissy, and AT THAT POINT I said to her.."this is EXACTLY how you acted in the months leading up to our exit from JWville whenever we would get ready for meeting". I just didn't realize at the time how much she hated going. So we kinda laughed about it, but at the same time, we realized how much anxiety we felt when we had to go to meeting. We both hated that feeling. At least it only lasted one afternoon!

So we get to the hall, and we both immediately saw people we knew. (And some we wish we didn't) But most everyone was friendly for the most part. Just some quaint hello's, how ya doing....very basic chit chat. I think everyone knew our stand, so nobody asked us anything JW related. I didn't expect any shunning, especially since we went with my mother, and I knew they wouldn't shun us in front of her. There were a couple of dubs that I did give the cold shoulder to, in part because they were a**holes back when we were in the org. One of them cheated on his wife and was df'd, but since he was in the "club", he was reinstated within six months. My wife said she noticed he was still checkin' out the sisters in the hall. Basically a loser. I know some people here on this board may feel like I should've been nice, but many of these people were and still are a**holes as far as I'm concerned, and I don't have to talk to anyone I don't feel like talking to. It was actually kinda empowering in a way. I wasn't rude, just quick and abrupt and ready to go.

The memorial talk made me feel like I was at Sunday meeting. There were a few nice things said about the person that died, but then they go into their sermon and give a "witness" so everyone can know what she believed. I don't agree with that, and have been to other funerals for non-witnesses, and they always give a nice eulogy for the person who died, sometimes even having different people come up and speak. That's what a memorial should be about...not a forum to preach.

I wish I could have more exciting things to tell, but we left shortly after it was over. I did notice how boring the inside of the hall was. No windows...nothing on the walls. I can't ever imagine how anyone can sit in there week after week and listen to the same ol' crap....do more, do more....and do more! While it was nice to pay our respects, the best part about it was being able to leave and not having to go back.

• sunshineToo
    sunshineToo

What can I say? Does any cult group ever care about its members?

• HadEnuf
    HadEnuf
    they always give a nice eulogy for the person who died, sometimes even having different people come up and speak. That's what a memorial should be about...not a forum to preach.

jimbob...this is exactly what my hubbie and I have noticed. The HUGE difference between a "worldly/non-JW" funeral and the JW Sunday talk posing as a memorial talk for the deceased. The first time I attended a non-JW funeral I was so moved by the eulogy and the short sermon. People got up and said great things about the person who had passed and the good things they remembered. It had meaning. JW funerals are just a sham for the JW's to try to get more witnessing in. What a crock.

Glad you got through it! Thanks for sharing...Cathy L.

• garybuss
    garybuss

(The Watchtower, Oct. 15, 1952, p.639)
    Questions from Readers
    "But dedicated Christians arrange for a witness to the truth at the funeral. This is taking advantage of an opportunity."

• Quotes
    Quotes

garybuss, you continue to be a fountain of useful and appropriate quotes!

Jimbob, after the "infomoercial" was over, you should have asked of several people (on your way out):

"I'm confused. When is the *MEMORIAL* for my friend (that talks about them and their life) going to be held? I must have come to the wrong meeting. Anyone? Does anyone know when the EULOGY will be held????"

~Quotes, of the "smartass" class

• Mulan
    Mulan

Five minutes ago, I remembered you were going today. So glad you posted about it all and that it worked out all right for you.

I am so disgusted by almost everyone of them that I can barely stand to be civil to them anymore. I have run into a couple of elders at the hospital, visiting my mother, and it takes everything I have to be nice. So far, they are being nice in their own way, so I haven't blown up yet. But give me just a little more stress and I might.

• Golden Girl
    Golden Girl

You know the witnesses preach that the day of one's death is more important than the day of their birth. You would think they would make a big hoop do loo at the funeral or memorial for that person. Not so. It's almost like they don't even recognize the dead person or the relatives of the deceased. Then they rushed us out to make way for another meeting. They are so cheap they can't even have a second hall..they have to share with 2 or 3 congregations..and NO accessories!..Wouldn't want any distractions for the "Cult Members"..

I tell you..someone is getting rich off the "Cult Members"..I wonder who?...

When hubby died I arranged for him to have a memorial at the KH he went to before he got sick.Very few showed up and very little was said about him other than..he always had a smile for everyone!..What a way to be remembered.

I left feeling so empty. When my Mom and Dad died they wanted imformation on the family etc.(Not JW's) It was really nice and I left feeling like I had some kind of closure. With hubby I came out feeling very angry!

Snoozy..aka..Golden Girl

• DocBob
    DocBob

JW funerals are all done from an outline. There is a note on the outline specifically telling the person doing the talk not to eulogize. See a copy of the outline on my site at: http://www.docbob.org/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=20 -- Just click on Documents, and then Funeral Discourse Outline.

• ellderwho
    ellderwho

My jw grandmother 91 yo passed in aug 04 the funeral was at a Funeral parlor. It was errie to hear that she had hoped for "paradise" after she will awaken from her death sleep. And my family and I knowing that its all a lie. Very sad.

Doc, whats up? It was good to see you at Blue mountain last Oct.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

jimbob,

you've found out it's true ; they feed on the husks of the word so how else can it look but bare, bare, bare!

cheers, ozzie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit