I'm confused

by fairchild 30 Replies latest jw friends

• fairchild
    fairchild

I prayed and prayed about it. I figured my prayers weren't going to be answered because Jehovah doesn't hear your prayers if you aren't a witness. I prayed for the witneses to come but they never did. I prayed for the Lord to show me the way and he did. A local preacher kept calling my house to invite my family to lunch. I finally went and it has been a blessing.

Praying for God to show me the truth, then the jws turning up at my door an hour later !

I took the above statements out of recent threads. For some reason, this confuses me quite a bit. Two people pray for God to show them the way. One gets a visit of JW's, the other gets a visit of a preacher. Please somebody help me out here..

• dh
    dh

If you pray long enough you will get the milk man, post man, window cleaner, insurance salesman and god knows whoever else knocking on your door as well.

I personally think it's a sign that those people sitting indorrs praying need to get out more. God doesn't answer shit.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

This is why I don't think we are really meant to be shown the exact truth in this life here on earth. And I am fine with that. I think that when you go looking for exact truth, you might as well stamp SUCKER across your forehead. Really, it's like wearing a Kick Me sign on your butt.

• Nancy Drake
    Nancy Drake

fairchild,

back when I was confused, I prayed and prayed for God or Jehovah to show me the way. I was pregnant and I just had to know if maybe my little one would be better off raised a JW.

Well, no one knocked on my door immediately, but to make a long story short, I started getting support from so many people. It was like people came out of the woodwork to support me. My parents refused to help me out at all with the pregnancy, unless I "came back to Jehovah." I even considered going back for a minute.

But when I looked at where all the support was coming from, all non-JW's, I knew I made the right choice never going back. I could see that if I went back, I would be missing out on the friendship and support of so many people that I needed.

On the other hand, if my parents had been extremely accepting and supportive and open-minded, I might have made a different decision.

So my point is, maybe the support I got wasn't the answer to my prayers, but rather listening to my inner voice and common sense. These people are praying for answers and to them this is the answer they are praying for and going with for the time being.

• fairchild
    fairchild
    If you pray long enough you will get the milk man, post man, window cleaner, insurance salesman and god knows whoever else knocking on your door as well.

Exactly!! That's my point.. (and I know I have asked this question before), how do you know if it is coincidence, or God who actually answers your prayer..

I think that when you go looking for exact truth, you might as well stamp SUCKER across your forehead.

lol, my stamp thingy is out of ink. You got some that I can borrow?

• fairchild
    fairchild

ND, so it was not really an answer to your prayers.. I remember reading in the bible that, as long as you ask with faith, it will be given to you, all you have to do is ask.. Well, I don't believe that anymore (but I really want to believe it) and you are right, listening to your common sense is much better than waiting for the answer to a prayer.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    I think that when you go looking for exact truth, you might as well stamp SUCKER across your forehead.

lol, my stamp thingy is out of ink. You got some that I can borrow?

My point is, there are numerous religions who want YOU to believe that they are telling you the truth. One, they want your money. Two, they would like to control you, especially if you are a woman or have a lot of money or anything else they want.

Lots of con people believe that old cliche' that there is a sucker born every minute.

Is it really so important in the grand scheme of things to know the exact truth and every answer while we live down here? Personally, I kind of felt like the JWs reduced the earth to a tiny, insignifcant speck and took all of its grand mystery away. I like the world being big and mysterious.

• fairchild
    fairchild
    Is it really so important in the grand scheme of things to know the exact truth and every answer while we live down here?

Actually, it is (or was) to me. But when I look back, I realize that I have spent more than half of my life searching for 'the truth'. Now I'm thinking, if I haven't found it by now, then I'm not going to find it. God looks inside our hearts. Should I die tomorrow, without being a JW and without belonging to any church at all, God WILL know that I searched until I became too disappointed to keep searching.

• talesin
    talesin

::Should I die tomorrow, without being a JW and without belonging to any church at all, God WILL know that I searched until I became too disappointed to keep searching.

That is a comfort right now, isn't it? It's how I used to feel. To know that if J*h is real, then he knows your quest is true, the desire within your heart is pure.

My searching led me to eventually have an attitude very similar to Flying's.

Prayer can also help folks be more focussed, kinda like meditation. So, your prayers are never wasted, is how I see it. Whether 'someone' is listening outside, or the real listener is within yourself, it still works.

You'll find your peace.

tal

• cindykp
    cindykp

I prayed to jehovah, the next day the witnesses knocked on my front door. When they left, my son went outside through the back door, and brought in a pamphlet from the mormans. Neither one ever comes here. ???????????

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit