Canadian Flags Fly Low - Canada mourns the death of four RCMP Officers

by jgnat 14 Replies latest social current

• jgnat
    jgnat

The nation mourned Thursday along with the 10,000 police officers and emergency workers from across the continent and ordinary Canadians who came to honour the lives of Const. Anthony Gordon, Const. Lionide (Leo) Johnston, Const. Brock Myrol and Const. Peter Schiemann, the victims of the worst massacre of Mounties in Canada's history.

Four RCMP members from the Mayerthorpe and Whitecourt detachments were gunned down March 3 while guarding a crime scene, a grow operation near Mayerthorpe, Alberta, Canada. The officers were shot and killed by 47-year-old James Roszko, who then killed himself. Roszko had a reputation for hating police and his violent tendencies were well-known to police.

Thousands of law-enforcement officers from across North America join Canadians to pay their respects in Edmonton.

http://www.canada.com/edmonton/edmontonjournal/news/story.html?id=5262c212-d6ab-41de-a349-b237441a04da

This may not be big news on the world scene, but it affects us deeply here in Canada.

http://news.google.ca/news?hl=en&ned=ca&ie=UTF-8&q=RCMP+MAYERTHORPE

• talesin
    talesin

jgnat

I found it unbelievable this could happen. Very sad yesterday, I couldn't bear to watch the funeral, just the opening 5 minutes.

Here's a CBC link that may partly explain. This was a man with a long history of extreme violence. Surely they didn't die for a 'small grow op' bust. arrrggghhhhh!!!!! I dunno what to say ...

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2005/03/09/roszko-records050309.html

tal

• acsot
    acsot

So horribly sad. The poor parents and siblings, girlfriends and wives.

• concerned mama
    concerned mama

My son attends the University of Alberta, where the service was held. A construction crane on a nearby site had a big Canadian flag hanging from it. He said there was a "Sea of red" with all the Mounties in their dress uniforms, so recognized as a symbol of Canada around the world . Really impressive. So many Mounties and police from all over North America, there to show support for the families and for each other. So many citizens, seniors, university students, all sorts of people.

He also said that there was a unique atmosphere. Sadness of course, for those lost, and compassion for the families, but most of all, respect for the role that The Royal Canadian Mounted Police play, both at home and abroad.

Thanks, Janet, for starting this thread.

• Special K
    Special K

RCMP officers meet today in my home community to pay their respects. We have at least three officers here that served with this fallen comrades or trained in Regina along with them.

Very tragic event and sad loss of life. Constable Peters fathers eulogy on T.V. was just tearful.

Nothing like this since the Northwest Rebellion in the 1800's..

I couldn't figure out why their flack jackets didn't protect them until my husband said that those jackets won't stop a bullet from a High powered rifle. I was angered too to find out this mad man had stalked these officers over a few weeks as well.

Sad loss for Canadians

special K

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

In Memory

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

It is always a sad day when we mourn those who have sworn to "serve and protect"us. The RCMP has a long history and grand reputation as one of the priemer Law Enforcement agencies in the world.

We can debate the motives and crimes of the shooter from many veiwpoints. It must be noted that anyone who chooses to stalk and shoot investigating officers rather than surrender and face the system are from a lesser class of humanity.

With virtual Bagpipers and a 21 gun salute from Camp Hillbilly, condolences, Canada.

~Hill

• bebu
    bebu

What sad news! My heart goes out to all the RCMP and all Canadians. That is just devastating.

bebu

• hubert
    hubert

My heartfelt sympathy to the families, friends and RCMP for this terrible tragedy.

We had a group of RCMP visiting the area in Rhode Island, a few years ago, and they were well loved and they loved the people here. This area of Rhode Island is full of ex-canadians that came here 50 or so years ago, so it's almost like being back in Canada. In fact, my grandfather, father-in-law, and mother-in-law, are from the "three rivers" area of Quebec. We are all frenchmen here, and damn proud of it. God bless them, and the loved ones that are left behind.

Hubert

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

*sigh* what on earth could possess someone to do something so vile?

Jeannie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit