The Watchtower in Crisis: Why They Can't Raise Good Kids (pt 1)

by metatron 13 Replies latest jw friends

• metatron
    metatron

Raising good kids these days is a difficult task. Jehovah's Witnesses, however, are

encountering wide spread defeat in this critical mission, in large measure, because of the

burdens that the Watchtower Society has imposed on them in raising their children.

Watchtower leaders are becoming worried and are now seeing the "handwriting on the wall".

With growth gone in many countries, they are being forced to confront a worsening problem

they have never solved: how to raise good kids in the 'truth'. This is evidenced by recent

magazines that devote much attention to this issue - such as the April 1 WT and April 8

Awake - as well as ceaseless Assembly and meeting parts. Simply put, if the next

generation of Witnesses is lost, so is the Watchtower.

Unfortunately, their prescriptions for family repair remain the same. Sadly, they do

not grasp the wisdom of the saying, "Insanity is defined as doing the same thing over and

over again and expecting a different result." Thus, the Watchtower faces a bleak future,

in failing to humbly discern the reasons why Witnesses in particular labor under the dead

hand of Watchtower counsel. To me, I can report five causes of trouble in their self proclaimed

"spiritual paradise".

1) Isolation from extended family members - Once you become a Witness, your relatives

are transformed into "worldly people" - who, of course, will be killed by God at

Armageddon. Since celebrating holidays ( now transformed into god-dishonoring

paganism) is out of the question, who knows when Grandma will ever get a visit

again? When else does everyone in the family get a day off from work or school?

Family traditions and gift exchanges may disappear - along with that future business

position that your Catholic Uncle Joe might have for your kid - if you'd stayed closer.

Nor does converting your relatives necessarily make anything better. Why do you think the

Society has had to 'harp on' taking care of your sick or elderly parents in the organization

in recent years?

2) Poisoned Spirituality - Ben Franklin once remarked that "if men are so wicked with

religion, what would they be without it.?" Kids can be greatly benefited by a sense

of spirituality, of being part of a greater, grander design. Notice how many 'worldly

kids' are adopting vegetarianism? ( polls say so). The trouble in Witness-land is

that spirituality gets poisoned.

Christianity becomes attending an enforced number of meetings and peddling

magazines door to door. The field service slips do not have any segment on them

for counting time spent spent in honest charity. Reading to that elderly blind sister

literally doesn't count. Kids are highly sensitive hypocrisy detectors, too - so don't

think they won't notice that Brother Elder's kids get special favor while Sister Welfare's

single parent brood get df'd, "keeping the congregation clean". Hours get counted

in a "vital, lfesaving ministry" - while learning to do the "pioneer stroll". They tell

you that the "ministry" is based on "love of God and neighbor" - while you really

do it because of peer pressure and fear of God killing you at the Big "A".

Witness parents sometimes wonder why so many of their kids can turn out worse

"than the world" - while failing to see that these kids, with their "double lives",

have been schooled in a poisoned exercise of hypocrisy. They just don't "get it".

(more in the next installment)

metatron

• truth_about_the_truth
    truth_about_the_truth

What can I say? You hit the nail on the head. A fitting title as well. The WT in crisis

• Honesty
    Honesty

They'll self destruct on account of all you have described. And that's what inevitably happens to an organisation that does not have the love of Christ in it. When you add in the unyielding and unscriptural stand the Governing Body aspires to the ingredients for disaster are just waiting for the right tempature to implode like a falling cake.

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76

Where do I start? From the very begining of life you are taught to sit still at the KH if that means a spanking well then you get one, regardless of your age. No outside entertainment, family, friends, no school activites or sports. No dating, unless you are ready to marry, All your time spent on studying the literature, field service and the KH meetings.

So when do these kids have a chance to grow into their own skin? Adolescence is hard enough, with raging hormones, not knowing how to fit in or self esteem issues coupled with a very controlling cult is a recipe for disaster. The way to raise good kids to teach them with love, respect and understanding. Learning how to think for yourself, making choices, and dealing with consequences is all very important in your development. If you are raised all your life with decisions made for you, and taught never to question things or respect others veiws in life, you will surely stumble through a difficult life.

Dragonlady76

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    Kids are highly sensitive hypocrisy detectors, too - so don't

think they won't notice that Brother Elder's kids get special favor while Sister Welfare's

single parent brood get df'd, "keeping the congregation clean".

And what do they get df'd for? The one thing that couldn't come more naturally to a late teen/young adult. What a lovely experience for a 19 year old to go through, seeing all of the more materially well-off and socially connected dubs their age running off and getting married, and themselves finding a *gasp* worldly person more attractive than their two-faced, shallow acquaintances at the KH, and the next thing you know - "Brothers and sisters, Brother PO needs to make an announcement to the congregation..."

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I have noticed a psychological trap in the WTS.

1. The WTS teaches children that only those who follow all of the WTS rules are "good" people.
    2. The WTS teaches children that those who don't follow all of the WTS rules are "evil" people prone to horrible acts, drug abuse, promiscuity, and all around "bad" behavior.
    3. Children raised in the WTS learn quickly that it is nearly impossible to follow all of the WTS rules and therefore conclude that they are one of the "evil" people.
    4. Because the child believes him/her self to be "evil", he/she acts out with self-destructive behaviors, which results in him/her being DFed.
    5. The child has always been told that DFed people are VERY evil and therefore concludes that he/she is VERY evil and develops an even worst self esteem than before.

The cycle keeps going on and on until so many JW children self destruct.

• willyloman
    willyloman

Meta: Those are my thoughts, exactly. Can't wait to read Part 2.

And Elsewhere: You nailed it.

• Voyager
    Voyager

Metatron:

Why do you think the

Society has had to 'harp on' taking care of your sick or elderly parents in the organization

in recent years?

Very true Metatron and very well said! I can't remember how many elderly brothers and sisters were left on their own to suffer through the hard times with absolutely (NO) help from congregation members.

Our family knew an elderly couple who lived in an old broken down school bus, and they were the only two in the congregation that were of the (anointed)! They literally lived on Social Security and food stamps.

My GrandFather was a farmer, and we would take them eggs, milk, beef, fruit, and vegetables to help sustain them. They were very nice people. I'll never forget them!

Thanks Metatron, and keep up the good work, looking forward to the (second) part!

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

Too much inbreeding?

• rebel8
    rebel8

Thank you for starting this thread. I was just thinking about the warping of young minds by WTS propaganda. There are so many teachings and subtle messages that are damaging to children. One that comes to my mind is the constant liking of children (especially girls) to animals..."sows" in particular. I was taught repeatedly that I was, by birth as a female, an undisciplined primate with corporal punishment and strong control as the only way to keep me from constant misbehavior....and of course a budding temptress that would inadvertently "stumble" the brothers if I didn't wear clothes that covered my entire body and were loose-fitting....or if I kept eye contact w/a male JW too long, or if I was too nice to them, etc.

What are others people recall?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit