apostate questions

by stevenyc 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

After reading AlanF?s biography http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/9/86609/1.ashx something was niggling at me. He says, ?one of the Society's writers had read the questions and decided that at least one was an "apostate question"?.

This doesn?t seem possible to me, so I checked the definition of apostate at dictionary.com:

One who has abandoned one's religious faith, a political party, one's principles, or a cause
    adj : not faithful to religion or party or cause n : a disloyal person who betrays or deserts his cause or religion or political party or friend etc. [syn: deserter, renegade, turncoat, recreant, ratter]

Searching watchtower.org gave no worthy results so quotes.watchtower.ca (thanks again) gave me this:

Now, what will you do if you are confronted with apostate teaching?subtle reasonings?claiming that what you believe as one of Jehovah's Witnesses is not the truth?

Which is the closest WTBTS definition I?ve found so far.

What I have issue with is, Is it possible to have an ?Apostate Question??

I would appreciate some genuine ?apostate questions?. Not difficult to answer question, but, as what you think the WTBTS would define to be an apostate question.

steve

• JustTickledPink
    JustTickledPink

WTS definition of an apostate question:

Any question not listed at the bottom of your Watchtower magazine that correlates with the above paragrah. Any question not listed at the end of the chapter in review of a WTS book. Any question that questions the authority of the FDS. Any question that questions the authority of the WTS.

Now, quit asking so much da*mn questions about questions already. Just read your magazines, the answers are all there.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Yeah, I'm with Pinkie. I think any question that questions the WTBTS authority and their holy dogma could be construed as an apostate question. i.e. The authority they claim as mediators for Christ and the Holy Spirit, when he is everyone's mediator to god. That when you are baptized, you are saying Yes to acepting the WTBTS as your mediator, which goes directly agains their bible's teaching!

• heathen
    heathen

I would also think that any question reguarding the UN affiliation shows that you were looking on the web and there by disobeying church law making you an apostate . Some good answers so far .

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

The phrase "That is an apostate question" is the JW equivalent of the more common worldly expression, "STFU."

• Valis
    Valis
    Selected verses from the New World Translation

Job

Verse NWT KJV
    13:16For before him no apostate will come in. For an hypocrite shall not come before him.
    27:8-9For what is the hope of an apostate in case he cuts [him] off, In case God carries off his soul from him? Will God hear an outcry of his in case distress comes upon him? For what is the hope of the hypocrite, though he hath gained, when God taketh away his soul? Will God hear his cry when trouble cometh upon him?
    36:13-14And those apostate in heart will themselves lay up anger. They should not cry for help because he has bound them. Their soul will die in youth itself, And their life among male temple prostitutes. But the hypocrites in heart heap up wrath: they cry not when he bindeth them. They die in youth, and their life is among the unclean.

Psalms

Verse NWT KJV
    35:16Among the apostate mockers for a cake there was a grinding of their teeth even against me. With hypocritical mockers in feasts, they gnashed upon me with their teeth.

Proverbs

Verse NWT KJV
    11:9By [his] mouth the one who is an apostate brings his fellowman to ruin, but by knowledge are the righteous rescued. An hypocrite with his mouth destroyeth his neighbour: but through knowledge shall the just be delivered.

Isaiah

Verse NWT KJV
    9:17That is why Jehovah will not rejoice even over their young men, and upon their fatherless boys and upon their widows he will have no mercy; because all of them are apostates and evildoers and every moth is speaking senselessness. Therefore the LORD shall have no joy in their young men, neither shall have mercy on their fatherless and widows: for
    every one is an hypocrite and an evildoer, and every mouth speaketh folly.
    32:6Because the senseless one himself will speak mere senselessness, and his very heart will work at what is hurtful, to work at apostasy and to speak against Jehovah.... For the vile person will speak villany, and his heart will work iniquity, to practise hypocrisy, and to utter error against the LORD....
    33:14In Zion the sinners have come to be in dread; shivering has grabbed hold of the apostates. The sinners in Zion are afraid; fearfulness hath surprised the hypocrites.
    62:2And the nations will certainly see your righteousness, [O woman] and all kings your glory. And you will actually be called by a new name, which the very mouth of Jehovah will designate. And the Gentiles shall see thy righteousness, and all the kings thy glory: and thou shalt be called by a new name, which the mouth of the LORD shall name.

Jeremiah

Verse NWT KJV
    17:13O Jehovah, the hope of Israel, all those who are leaving you will be put to shame. Those apostatizing from me will be written down even in the earth, because they have left the source of living water, Jehovah. O LORD, the hope of Israel, all that forsake thee shall be ashamed, and they that depart from me shall be written in the earth, because they have forsaken the LORD, the fountain of living waters.
  • upside/down
    upside/down

I asked that same question.

When I asked many of these so-called "apostate" questions, the assumption was made that I couldn't possibly have come up with such reasonings and profitless questions on my own therefore I must have been influenced by apostates. So now on the rare occassion I say something "apostate" in front of a Dub I always qualify it by saying words to the effect that these are my own original thoughts and not something I've picked up from so-called apostates.

Only one problem... I'd never had exposure to ANY apostates. My questions all came from ME, and my reactions to things I'd observed and reasoned on for myself. Of course "they" say I'm a liar (can we say slander).

F*ck 'em all,

u/d

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

Thanks for all the replies, so far I've see the possibility of ignoring apostate staements, but ignoring difficult questions is an excuse for sticking your fingers in your ears and saying 'nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah'. They all sound like difficult questions. I want an apostate question, because I don?t think they exist.

I mean, if we look at the discussions had here with two of the strongest advocates of the WTBTS?s teachings ? a friend in need and scholar, to give credit where credits due, they have answered our questions that the organization would describe as apostate questions. Any single question is not an Apostate Question.

An apostate can ask a question, but the question itself cannot be apostate, unlike a statement.

If you disagree with this, flee free to either respond or stick your fingers in your ears saying 'nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah'.

steve

ps natan: what's STFU

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

U/D, I guess you just weren't brainwashed enough to not think..... you marvelous apostate, you!

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Steve,

STFU = "SHUT THE F*CK UP!" (usually said LOUDLY)

I am pleased to contribute to your corruption.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit