Jehovah is keeping my step-daughter from getting a job?

by wordlywife 15 Replies latest jw friends

• wordlywife
    wordlywife

Hi all.....

I have heard my dear JW husband say this about his daughter many times over the last month or so. It kills me to hear this, and that he believes it. God punishes people by not rewarding them with a job? If that's the case, some of my behavior in the past would merit major punishment as far as job opportunities, but I have had nothing but promotions. But then again I was never a JW, perhaps Jehovah only punished his own people if they aren't behaving as they should completely. I respect his right to believe what he wants to, but to me this is so far out and so sad that it is hard to imagine he feels that way about God punishing or not rewarding his own daughter! Good grief, could it be that just graduating from high school and only having cleaning jobs and babysitting jobs could be hindering her from getting something she WANTS to do (clerical)? Makes me feel bad for her.......she is struggling enough to find her place in life, now let's heap more guilt on her saying Jehovah is withholding...........

Just a rant...............but when any of you were active/believing JW's, did you really honestly think that God would withhold rewards/things wanted (a job?) from people???? So foreign to me.............

worldly wife

• wordlywife
    wordlywife

Oops can someone move this to the "Friends" topics, or else give me instruction on how to do this? I made a mistake and plopped this in the wrong area! Duh!

Thanks-

WW

• blondie
    blondie

James 1:13 (New World Translation)

When under trial, let no one say: "I am being tried by God." For with evil things God cannot be tried nor does he himself try anyone.

Ecclesiastes 9:11 (NWT)

I returned to see under the sun that the swift do not have the race, nor the mighty ones the battle, nor do the wise also have the food, nor do the understanding ones also have the riches, nor do even those having knowledge have the favor; because time and unforeseen occurrence befall them all.

Psalm 73 might be due for a review where Asaph was confused when he saw good things happening to "bad" people.

• Scully
    Scully

Yeah, Jehovah is always meddling in the lives of teenaged girls.

It's sad that your hubby believes this about his own daughter, but sadder still is that he's influencing her in such a way that she likely believes it herself (or will in the very near future). No parent has the right to destroy their child's self-esteem this way.

Is there any way that you can help her by directing her to job fairs, helping her write a resume and letter of introduction, or helping her apply for post-secondary courses that will help her reach her goals?

Love, Scully

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

The official Watchtower line rarely suggests this is true, but individual dubs sure believe it, and statements you hear at the Hall support it. When things go badly, it's usually considered to be Satan putting stumbling blocks in front of you. (See, Satan is powerful enough to make you bounce a check or lose a job, but not powerful enough to just kill you or make his evil apostates call on you with literature.) And of course if things go well, it's because Jehovah blessed you! (Again, he's powerful enough to help you get a car loan, or pay for this week's groceries, but he can't cure your flu.)

It's ridiculous. How much better to live knowing that the things I do cause what I see happening. That and dumb luck. The knowledge that no one is secretly, quietly guiding it all is a great relief to me!

Dave

• Mary
    Mary

Even worse than that, Jehovah is keeping me from winning the lottery. It never fails to amaze me how Dubs can try and justify all this crap. When they win a court case, it's cause Jehovah is blessing them and making the judge nash his false teeth; when they don't win a court case, it's because Satan de Debbil is persecuting Jehovah's faithful followers and trying to "spread lies" about them.

While Witnesses do not ascribe to the whole "fatalistic" viewpoint, I find them to look for more signs from God in every aspect of their lives, than the most devout astrologist.

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

Most JW's I know were very shy about saying anything about God or Jehovah's "will." But they sure did believe it, especially when they were spouse hunting!

• JustTickledPink
    JustTickledPink

It's just like if they get a job "Jehovah really blesses those who serve him" I think ????????

When my mother got a chronic illness I asked her why wasn't Jehovah blessing her with a cure, she said that it had nothing to do with him, and everything to do with Satan.

Rolling my eyes.

• wordlywife
    wordlywife

I've already helped her with her resume, and I fax things for her, get extra copies made when she needs to mail them, etc.

I sincerely wish she could land herself something that pays her well enough to be on her own, with a room mate or something. She has made mistakes, but that is how we learn right? And also, maturity comes with age and experience. I feel bad in that this to me is all part of getting through this time in your life (very young adulthood), and yet it seems the only help she gets it reprimand, the "need to do better than this" and now "Jehovah is keeping things from you as a direct result of your conduct". I support as much as I can, in any way I can, but it is not the JW kind of support, it's my worldly support. I have to be careful not to undermine their beliefs (husband and step-daughter) but at the same time give support. Tricky sometimes.

Thanks to whomever moved this thread to the proper place!

ww

• AuntieJane
    AuntieJane

I don't know your personal situation,, but it might helf if you could step up a little more to be a more positive influence to this girl. Ya know, those "seeds" can be planted all the time. If you have a good relationship, just a little extra pat on the shoulder, hug, if she's open to it... just a postive, continuous dialog...Anything to keep those thoughts in her head and not her dad's negativity. A little hand written card with a scripture verse....find a positive, uplifting verse...something she can keep as a reminder. Even if you are not a person who normally would do this type of thing, give it a try for her sake. I can tell you are sincerely wanting to help her.

Having raised 2 daughters, (not an easy task! ) I just find those kinds of little things work wonders. Good luck!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit