Did you "shun" your Disfellowshipped or Disassociated Children as a JW?

by booker-t 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• booker-t
    booker-t

When you were a devout JW or if you are now how did you feel "shunning" you DF'd or DA'd children? How can a loving parent totally cut off their child? I don't have any children as of now but I would totally kill me to treat my own flesh and blood as if they did not exist and I just don't know what does a parent tell themselves to justify the shunning? What would the parent feel like if their DF'd or DA'd child died and the JW parent never had a chance at reconciling. I would like to hear from parents who had DF'd or DA'd children and shunned them. My aunt recently told my DF'd cousin to move out of her house and she can only move back in when she is reinstated. My cousin is only 17 years old and moved in with her non-jw boyfriend.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

No way - never would I do that - it is just going too far and is not Christlike

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Not completely - we just couldn't - and that realization combined with the hatefull attitudes of the elders in that regard [I was removed from the servant body for allowing my 18 yr old, pregnant, homeless, and addicted daughter move in for three months to assure that she was cared for and got medical attention]. Just as I write this my 5 year old granddaughter [the pregnancy we saved] came and hugged me and kissed me goodnight. God how I love her and am glad I can have her in my life. I'm a little choked that that just happened as I wrote this...

Now - having realized the lie of the 'truth' - we will continue to build a semi-destroyed relationship with our daughter. Much damage was done in an effort to apply the Bible interpretation of the WTS, and also what we knew was right and godly in dealing with our child. But we will be fine - time will heal the wounds.

Ah, how good is true freedom. I feel sorry for those who have spent the rest of thier lives without contact. Don't know how they could do that. What a twisted religion we all were part of.

Jeff

• Ticker
    Ticker

I guess your aunt's plan backfired as she move in with her bf. I can never figure out their logic in following through with such unchristian like behavior. I never even cut off disfellowshiped ones, I would always acknowledge and greet them even at the kingdom hall. This is probably one of the reasons I was booted off the watchtower wagon, they dont like one going against their watchtower orders even when the bible clearly shows such behavior is wrong. I would treat the disfellowshiped like a fellow christian and never looked down on them, I could understand that nobody is perfect, we are all weak and sin, and especially if were trying to contrast ourselves with an unrealistic set of standards. I just could not in good conscience do this to someone who we were suposed spend eternity with as brothers and siters even as indoctrinated as I was. I would never carry out such an action against my children and cannot believe that they could sanction such orders without any biblical proofs. Truly a lack of christian love.

Ticker

• bem
    bem

I have post this several times, No I could Not, and Would Not shun disown, dis honor, un-love or otherwise hurt my son when he was df'd. It was the final straw that casued my leaving the wts. When I was told if I was more spiritually strong I could of followed the theocratic course.

Dorothy

• myvalk
    myvalk

that is why i stepped down as an elder i never thought it was scriptual, or christ-like to shun the spiritualy weak ones. didnt jesus say that it was the sick that needed the physician??

if d/fing was what god wanted... then all of mankind should be d/fed from him.

it does far more harm than good. the idea that if you ignore them , they'll return is rediculous. love is what draws them to you.

• Poztate
    Poztate

Children...No,but I did shun my DF'ed Mother.You have to be really brain dead to shun any part of your family based on the dictates of a few senile old men in Brooklyn. The mind control they have over people is amazing and you only really can see it after you are out. I have been out almost 25 years now and it still upsets me what I did.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit