Soft drink damage

by MegaDude 29 Replies latest jw friends

• talesin
    talesin

Common Sense - my favorite oxymoron.

Lemme see, 7-8 containers of (possibly caffeinated) coloured, carbonated, sodium- and chemical-laden sugar water a day. No, I don't think that will be detrimental to my health!

I'm really toning down my natural sarcastic instincts, but come on, peeps!

We have cognitive thinking. It's too bad we don't use it. People just watch ads, taste, buy. They don't think about what they are putting into their bodies. Garbage!

t

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

BIT LIKE THE IDIOTS THAT DRINK 6 OR 7 CUPS OF COFFEE A DAY - I LOVE COFFEE BUT A COUPLE OF LARGE ONES IN THE MORNING IS WHAT I TRY AND LIMIT MYSELF TOO -AS WAS SAID - commonsense

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

"Sheila, when you say 'tonic' is that a midwestern catch-all for soft drinks, or does that include tonic-water that some drink with gin /vodka?"

I believe the word "Pop" is that catch all for soft drinks. And ever since I've been living a healthier lifestyle (Thanks JW Bot!) I've quit drinking the pop. I've switched over to iced herbal tea whenever I want something cool to drink.

• the_classicist
    the_classicist
    I've quit drinking the pop.

Have you started taking the marijuana? I though Americans said soda instead of pop. In Canada we never use "the" in front, it feels too much like my first sentence.

I wouldn't give too much credence to this story, personally. If it is really that much of a problem, just take a calcium supplement.

• freedom96
    freedom96

I think you just can't beat a nice, cold frosty diet coke. Or diet Pepsi, I don't care.

I will order some calcium tablets tomorrow.

• JustTickledPink
    JustTickledPink

It's actually worse for women. I've known this for years. Any good family doctor will tell a girl that drinking sodas will leach calcium and make your bones brittle after years of consumption.

I drink Diet Coke but limit myself to about 2 per week. It's much better to drink iced tea if you have to have a drink instead of soda. There are so many flavored teas on the market now too.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Luckily I've never been a fan of fizzy drinks unless they contain alcohol. I drink at least 3 litres of bottled non fizzy water every day and drink herbal teas all day.

By night its a different story - last night was kind of typical, 2 pints of cider, followed by a pint and a half of lager, followed by 3 large glasses of red wine.

Will alcohol make my bones lacey?

• Makena1
    Makena1

Sorry Crumpet - looks like it!

http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH/WSIHW000/333/8015/321476.html

Alcoholics often have bones that are less dense than normal. Less bone density means less bone strength, which can increase an individual's risk of bone fracture. In fact, alcoholics have a high rate of non-traumatic and trauma-induced bone fractures, especially in the femoral neck. Although good nutrition is essential for maintaining bone health - and alcoholics usually have poor nutritional habits - animal studies have shown that alcohol can slow bone growth even when nutrition is maintained. This indicates that alcohol is directly responsible for at least some detrimental effects on bone health.

Moderation is the key I guess!

• Ianone
    Ianone

ASPARTAME! THIS IS POISON! Diet pop utilizes this poison. Go read how aspartame is made and what it is made from, you shouldnt even give your dog this crap.

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

**note to self: "Get rid of the 3 cases of Coke after friday's party"*****

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit