She Went To Sleep And Woke Up 30 Years Later

by dh 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

...looks like she killed her husband.

All that dancing... guess she also had a lot of bedroom time to catch up on, too.

Poor fella - she wore him plumb out!

Regards,

Jim TX

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

The chances of someone coming out of a coma after as short as 5 years ever walking again are nill... now this woman was in a coma for 30 and woke up wanting to go dancing???? I don't think so!

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I also thought it it must be a hoax, but this site has a bit more detail and pictures :-

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/html/20031122T230000-0500_51986_OBS_MRS_RIP_VAN_WINKLE_S_LOVE_STORY_FINALLY_ENDS.asp

• toladest
    toladest

I don't know about that story but here is a REAL story of a women awakening after 20 years! This just happened a couple weeks back and I saw it on the news. Incredible!

by Steven ErteltLifeNews.com Editor
    February 14, 2005
    LifeNews.com) -- Sarah Scantlin was unable to speak after an automobile accident in which a drunk driver crashed into her, leaving her in a coma. Though doctors believed her brain was injured so badly in the accident that should would never be able to talk again and spend her life in a vegetative state, Scantlin began speaking a week ago.

Sarah's friends and family gathered Saturday at the health care center where she lives to celebrate.

"She's 100 percent Sarah again. The family is back together, and it's just simply a joyous situation," her father, Jim Scantlin, told CNN.

Scantlin was 18 when she was injured and, until last month, she was aware of her surroundings but unable to speak. Suddenly, she began talking to workers at the health care center.

"It just happened one day and nobody really knows why," said Sharon Kuepker, administrator for the Golden Plains Health Care Center.

Now, Scantlin is forming words, counting, and remembering people and places.

"You condition yourself to be able to try to deal with something like this, and then all of the sudden, the world instantly changed from despair to joy because it's amazing how important communication is between human beings," her father told the Associated Press.

Doctors have no explanation but pro-life advocates believe the case proves that Terri Schiavo, who is not in a PVS state, could find her disabled condition improved if she were given proper medical care and rehabilitative treatment.

Robert Schindler, Terri's father, says he hopes the courts will see this "miracle" and think of Terri.

"In light of the miraculous awakening of Miss Sarah Scantlin in Kansas and the success of the new brainwave test reported ... this week, my daughter deserves to have this test before she is starved to death by judicial decree," Schindler said.

Schindler is referring to a study released last week showing the level of neural activity of disabled patients who listened to tapes of their loved ones sharing family experiences matched that of the healthy patients.

The Schindlers say videotape shown on CNN of Sarah interacting with her parents prior to speaking is remarkably similar to videos of Terri interacting her family.

Dr. James Dobson of Focus on the Family says the Scantlin case shows why Florida courts should spare Terri Schiavo's life and prevent her estranged husband from ending her life.

"Terri Schiavo deserves the same chance at life that Sarah Scantlin was given," Dobson said. "Both cases have involved women who suffered debilitating injuries and continued to live in a disabled state. Today we celebrate the news that Ms. Scantlin has regained her memory and ability to speak, and is apparently on the road to recovery."

"Mental disabilities do not damage a person's worth -- the preciousness of life is not defined by one's abilities," Dobson added. "Those who suffer a disabling injury are entitled to the same right to life as we all are. Those seeking to take away Mrs. Schiavo's right to life should have second thoughts after hearing Sarah Scantlin's story."

Terri's parents are traveling to Kansas to meet with Sarah and her family.

Related web sites:

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

Apparently the judge set the date for her being starved to death: March 18th.

But hopefully:

Updates on Terri Schiavo

TALLAHASSEE, Florida, March 9, 2005 (LifeSiteNews.com) ? A Florida legislature subcommittee passed a bill 7-4 today that seeks to limit the ability of a guardian to withdraw food and fluids from an incapacitated person. It must still pass to the House floor for a vote. A similar measure was also proposed in the Senate.

Lead sponsor, Rep. Dennis Baxley, R-Ocala, said he hopes the bill will save Terri Schiavo. ?If I have my way, we'll get it passed by the 18th (of March),? he said, as reported by orlandosentinel.com. March 18 is the date set by Florida Judge George W. Greer to have Terri?s feeding tube removed.

Greer meanwhile will decide today whether to grant a stay of Terri Schiavo?s starvation order, to allow the state?s Department of Children and Families to investigate abuse allegations against Terri?s husband and legal guardian, Michael Schiavo.

The World Federation of Catholic Medical Associations (FIAMC) issued a warning Sunday that allowing Terri?s starvation to proceed would ?open the floodgates? to euthanasia of the disabled.

?If Terri, an innocent person, can be condemned to death, every person whose life will be considered of insufficient ?quality? by a guardian or the court will be in danger of euthanasia performed by withdrawal of basic and ordinary care,? warned FIAMC spokesman Gian Luigi Gigli, M.D., in a release.

?The importance of this case goes beyond this deplorable circumstance,? he said. ?It will open the floodgates to euthanasia in the United States, at all ages, without even a legislative decision.?

?Following the teaching of Pope John Paul II and the evidence of medical sciences, we believe that no human being, including those in the permanent vegetative state, can be denied the respect due to a human person by provision of food and water, without which any person, regardless of his/her state of health, would be condemned to death.?

?Such a perversion of medicine will be the source of discrimination against other human beings, with enormous risks for human rights and democracy,? said the FIAMC statement.

In addition, an Empire Journal analysis pointed out that the legal firm representing the St. Petersburg Catholic diocese where Terri lives financially supported Judge Greer?s campaign for re-election to the bench.

Life Decisions International (LDI) President Douglas Scott criticized the Florida Catholic Conference and St. Petersburg bishop Robert N. Lynch for not being more vocal in support of Terri?s bid to live.

?Where is this Catholic ?leader? when one of his parishioners needs him the most?, Scott said. ?Every member of the clergy, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, should be pounding the pulpit every Sunday, insisting that Terri?s life be spared. Every member of the clergy should be speaking out about Terri every day until this matter is resolved in Terri?s favor. This is not the time for cowardice, complacency or weakness. Terri?s life depends on it. Any member of the clergy who does not do all he can to save Terri?s life is party to any disaster that befalls her?.

Terri Schiavo, the subject of an ongoing legal battle between her parents, Robert and Mary Schindler, and Terri?s estranged husband and legal guardian, Michael Schiavo, is slated for starvation beginning March 18.

• Evesapple
    Evesapple

awww...it reminds me of the movie "The Notebook"

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow

How poignant, dh. And I hadn't heard of this story before. Very interesting.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Just to note that I just received a PM apparently from Ron Laytner who affirms that the story is true and who has affirmed his (impressive) journalist credentials. He notes that as an author and photojournalist his stories have appeared in Life Magazine, Paris Match, New York Times, and he is represented by his own news agency Edit International. He also has a book coming out on Howard Hughes. As for Ms. Shapiro, her story was the basis of the television movie Forever Love with Reba McEntire and Tim Matheson. Although I have not been able to find any information about her story beyond Mr. Laytner's coverage, I have tracked down a border crossing record from 1936 that mentions Ms. Annie Shapiro (resident of Toronto, Canada), her husband Martin J. Shapiro (then residing in Brooklyn, New York, born in 10/17/1911), and it has her correct age as given in Mr. Laytner's article, i.e. born in 1913. (Another record from 1941 indicates that she resided in the U.S. from 1936 to 1940 and gives her mother's name as Bella Krieger, and she was born in Sebrpe, Poland around 1885). These confirm various details from Laytner's account. So I withdraw my skepticism on this rather amazing story.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit