If you could give one document ....

by Taylor S. 16 Replies latest jw experiences

• Swan
    Swan

I don't believe one should limit oneself to one document. That is kind of how we got into that mess in the first place; by accepting only one point of view. Good research would require that we examine multiple documents from multiple sources to get a well rounded view.

But a good document to start with might be an encyclopedia article or history book that shows that Jersusalem fell to the Babylonians in 586 or 587 BC. If it didn't happen in 607, then the 1914 date is off by 20 years, the date for the FDS being chosen by Christ is wrong, etc... and their whole house of cards begins to tumble.

Tammy

• Taylor S.
    Taylor S.

Swan ... you make a good point.

I kinda meant though ... one document that would grab attention, spark interest ... one document that would break through the 'gear-shift-lock' the org has on their brains. A point that would make even a die-hard think, even if they don't show it, 'hmm, I have to look into that.'

And i wish i felt comfortable debating the 607 thing, but I don't. Numbers and dates, yada yada, always made my stomach hurt. I'd crumble at the slightest argument or resistence.

I need something that would ... uhm

... say for instance you've got only one shot, one minute to get through and make a person want to investigate on their own, make the person want to do an internet search. Maybe not even a document ... maybe it could be just a phrase.

There are never any real magic bullets ... but maybe we can try to come up with a reasonable facimile ........

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

I'd say Crisis of Conscience, but by the sounds of your mom she would probably have a heart attack at just the suggestion.

I'm in kind of a similar situation with my dad. He will still talk to me even though I disassociated, but I can tell that things are different between us. Id love for him to really delve into what he supposedly believes but I can't see it ever happening. He just isnt going to learn any new tricks at this stage in his life. He's been a part of a few other Christian churches before he got involved with the witnesses so playing the Christian card with him isnt going to work. Trying to convince him that evolution is more than just a theory is just going to make him lose what little hope he has left. I just think its better for me to not even talk about it with him just for his own mental health, unless he asks.

GBL

• upside/down
    upside/down
    hopes in hopes of inserting a 'trojan'

did you mean 'trojan horse"? Sounds risque otherwise

Personally I've found sticking with the words of Jesus usually suffices in almost all instances. They cannot argue over or trump the example of Christ- I won't let'em.

They have to respect that... even if they are weeping and gnashing their teeth...

Good luck!

u/d

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

:did you mean 'trojan horse"? Sounds risque otherwise

LOL, dear God dude.. hehe

GBL

• Taylor S.
    Taylor S.

Get Busy ....

first off, yeah Crisis of Conscience would give her an instantaneous stroke. I might as well hand her an ancient dust covered copy of The Book of the Dead, bond in questionable leather. She'd sees demonz leering from both.

And I've also wrestled with the 'why not just leave it alone' thing. I don't really think she could handle it, but then again, maybe she'd surprise me. I don't know. She never mentioned that email I sent though.

I've decided to bring up the 'generation' thing ... ask her is she was disappointed. And if that goes well, I'm gonna ask her flat out, "How do you know its the truth? If it keeps getting brighter, how do you know if the old boys in brooklyn have it right today?"

This may cause major drama. I have never EVER questioned the truth to her.

I'll keep you posted.

• Taylor S.
    Taylor S.

Just got my memorial invite.

The only thing new about this year, is my knowledge ... due mostly from finding this site. I normally take the invite from my mom, tuck it away to hit the trash along with those mags she leaves all time. Actually, I'd gotten into a ritual of disposing of jdub crap without a backward glance or a second thought.

Now it's different. Now I care.

I want my mom out, but I have a conundrum ... Pioneering for all these years is killing her, but the knowledge that I have would be even more devastating. She gave me the invite today and while she was talking about it, I blacked out. Mental images of old mans lies, deceits and manipulations in the interest, for the most part, of selling books ... flashed through my mind like a roller-dex out of control. I pictured her sweating on that corner in the summer glare and heat. I pictured climbing up and down those stairs, in all sorts of neighborhoods, confident that Jehovah will protect her.

I want her out so badly ... but convincing her of the truth about THE TRUTH might kill us both.

I just can't bring myself do it. Though she did get my email about the WW11 era tract and was extremely happy about it. She said her and my aunt learning explore cyberspace and I expected that to make me happy, its a good thing, they'll stumble across things to open their eyes etc, etc, .... yeah, I should've felt happy .....

.... but all I felt was crappy. How horrible is it of me to wanna steal paradise from my mom's eyes.

I feel so bad today.

But I'll get over it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit