I made a mistake

by under74 48 Replies latest jw friends

• under74
    under74

The other day I was on a site....looking for a certian news clip I had seen where an older news guy get's mad at the news anchor that replaced him on air...anyway a hit came up reading old news anchor and I downloaded it. After it was done downloading I started playing it. As soon as I started playing it I knew it wasn't what I was looking for but I kept watching.

This guy's handing out things to certain people he calls by name at a press conference. Then after a minute or so he pulls up a manila envelope and pulls a gun out. You hear people calling him by name and telling him to stop. He says something like " I don't want to hurt anyone" or something like that and then sticks the gun in his mouth and shoots himself. There was a close up after he falls.....

I realized it was from the Faces Of Death series and many people have seen it--but I can't believe I watched that. It made me sick...not only that someone thought it worthwhile for others to watch (Faces of Death) but...this guy called an audience to be present for his suicide. He knew he was going to be inflicting this on others (though I'm not sure he knew to what extent). I've had suicides in my family but in the least they were private...why f*cking inflict so much pain on people? Why have so many witness it?

I still feel bad about having watched this. I'm used to blood and gore in the movies and have seen much in real life but as far as real life goes...it's all life. But to see it exhibited as a form of entertainment makes my stomach turn.

Does anyone here understand what I'm talking about? Anyone else had problems with real tragedy as entertainment/news?

• Peppermint
    Peppermint

That?s disgusting. I haven?t heard of Faces Of Death and don?t think I want to either. This sort of thing in the name of entertainment just makes me vomit, how can people get off on that? To be honest I take a hard line when it comes to violence in movies as well, I know its representative of the world around us...so what! All art forms should be up building and nice...Do I sound like a JW or what?

• new light
    new light

I'll never forget the day that story (the Dwyer suicide) was on the news. I was in 5th grade and deeply affected as the very idea was beyond anything I would have imagined. Being exposed to things like this at an early age might explain someone growing up to find such violence entertaining. Sadly, the footage had much less of an effect on me as an adult, which shows how desensitized we can become.

• under74
    under74

It's weird because although I had heard of Budd Dwyer before, I never saw this footage.

I think I've been desensitized to much but...I remember a couple years ago seeing a guy get punched repeatedly by another guy as I was waiting at a bus stop. I thought for a second that it looked like a scene from a movie but I snapped back and it shocked me that this guy was being hurt right in front of me.

Peppermint- No you don't really sound like a JW...just a good person that doesn't want to see nasty things happen.

• Thinking
    Thinking

My stepfather committed suicide. I can't imagine to have been the one to find him after he had done it let alone watch it first hand. Sorry you saw it. Mental images like that .......that hang with you throughout the days are so disturbing and unwanted. Suicide is a hard death to deal with.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Under74

Sorry to hear that you had that happen. Hope you can forget that image soon.

I agree - that is not entertainment - but I think it is everywrere.

Jeff

• under74
    under74

Well, I guess I've been upset because I saw the footage but MORE upset that it was done in public and since then so many others watch it as entertainment. I just keep thinking about that all those people were called there and unsuspecting of what was going to happen...

Jeff- yeah, I agree to some extent it's everywhere....but is it acceptable? I know there is no easy answer to that.

One question I have is, do people find this more acceptable when they haven't witnessed real violence?

• TheOneBuck
    TheOneBuck

Sorry to hear that you are really bothered by this, hopefully you will be able to block it soon. Those videos are very popular and I have no idea why. I can not stand stand seeing people in pain, or getting beat up, murdered etc, but apparently there are several in the world who have no issue with this as this video series has multiple releases. It is really scary that so many people enjoy this, but what is more scary is that it does not suprise me in the least.

• Peppermint
    Peppermint

Welcome, TheOneBuck.

• under74
    under74

Welcome to the forum TheOneBuck...is it Buck for short? I hope I see more posts from you around the forum soon.

Thanks for the comment....yeah, it is kind of unsettling, isn't it?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit