My wife is joining, how do I keep her from leaving me?

by Check_Your_Premises 45 Replies latest jw experiences

• lucky
    lucky

My mom was baptized when I was two and my dad is not a witness. I am out but I have a younger brother and sister (now in their 20's) who are still in. When we were very young, my dad did make a stand about us not being allowed to go out in service and not being allowed to go to evening meetings. I do remember, especially in the earlier years, that my mom and dad would argue a lot about doctrinal stuff and I'd usually think that my dad made the most sense (of course, I could never tell my mom that). But by the time I was in mid-elementary school my mom had wore him down and we were completely consumed by witness activities. My dad more or less wimped out. The only time he put up a fuss was when I got baptized when I was 16. By the time my brother got baptized when he was 12, my dad didn't say much of anything.

When I was having the most doubts (age 12-15, I would say), I remember wishing that my dad would step in and exercise a little bit of authority. I hated going out in service and to the meetings, but I was afraid to stand up to my mom. I remember in junior high, in particular, I felt like I had nothing in common with the witness kids my age and I had a very good friend at school who my mom wouldn't let me hang out with. I remember wanting to do after school activities and go to dances and my mom said no. If only my dad had stood up to my mom, I think my life would have turned out very differently. My dad never did anything and I eventually ended up just getting sucked in (I just sort of bottled up all the doubts).

I remember that there was an elder in our congregation who had a good job who had been raised as a witness in a divided household. His dad made him go to college. Even in high school, after I had gotten baptized, I remember always hoping that my dad would actually put his foot down and MAKE me go to college, but he never did. Of course, being the good witness girl, I worked part time for minimum wage and pioneered after high school. Because my dad had become so "hands-off" about it all (and his arguing with my mom about doctrinal issues in earlier years had turned him into an "opposer") it somehow turned the whole household dynamic into an "us" (mom and the kids) vs. "him" situation, even though I had SO many doubts about witness stuff.

I guess my advice, based on my experience, is that although you don't want to be an "opposing" mate (and I agree, this is especially important initially), you definitely need to provide options for your kids. If you feel that you can, present an alternate view on doctrinal issues to them privately (don't turn it into an argument with your wife). You'd be surprised at how many doctrinal issues don't make sense to kids at even a very early age (at least, they didn't to me). Make a point to let them do things with non-witness friends. Celebrate the holidays. Encourage non-witness after school activities. Let them play sports. Take them to another church with a good pastor once in a while. Do anything you can do to broaden their horizons. I can tell you from experience that when you've been raised as a witness with no options it is VERY hard to get out (it took me 8 years after I was baptized), even if doubts were present from a young age.

You sound like a caring, concerned dad. Hang in there and good luck!

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

I just wanted to say your advice is spot on ithinkisee - well thought out and practical! Well said!

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises

Thanks lucky! Good stuff.

And you do realize there is no such thing as luck. You should change your name to "fortunately blessed by the laws of random probability"

You gotta keep laughing!

• M.J.
    M.J.
    Besides - if your kids are known for having "worldly" (non-JW) friends, chances are the JW parents won't allow their JW kids to hang with your kids anyways. Your wife may get discouraged by the conditional love in this instance and this may actually help accomplish your first question too! If your kids ask questions that the JWs don't like, and hang out with non-JW kids, their congregations love will not be there for them. This will piss off even the most hardcore JW parent.

I can see this. One time after we all went to a KH meeting (I go once in a blue moon), my wife expressed how our three year old is just so wild and disruptive. Then while talking about his behavior she made the comment that eventually the other kids might not associate with him. I stopped and asked, "now why in the world would that happen? They're kids! I don't understand." She just remained silent and did not answer. I just left it at that.

I was recently reading a Watchtower magazine that addressed your situation this as well and thought I'd share it:

*** w01 12/15 pp. 28-29 Questions From Readers ***

Questions

From Readers

How

can a Christian wife balance loyalty to God with submission to her unbelieving husband if he shares in religious holiday activities?

Her doing so will require wisdom and tact. But she is doing the right thing in striving to balance her two obligations. Jesus gave counsel about a parallel situation: "Pay back, therefore, Caesar?s things to Caesar, but God?s things to God." (Matthew 22:21) Granted, he was dealing with obligations to governments, to which Christians were later told to be in submission. (Romans 13:1) Yet, his counsel finds a parallel in a wife?s balancing her obligations to God with her Scriptural submission to her husband, even if he is an unbeliever.

No one familiar with the Bible would deny that it stresses that a Christian?s first obligation is to Almighty God, to be loyal to him at all times. (Acts 5:29) Still, in many situations a true worshiper can accommodate the requests or demands of an unbeliever in authority while not sharing in a violation of God?s elevated laws.

We find an instructive example in the three Hebrews, as related in Daniel chapter 3. Their governmental superior, Nebuchadnezzar, decreed that they and others present themselves on the plain of Dura. Realizing that false worship was scheduled, the three Hebrews would likely have preferred to avoid being there. Perhaps Daniel was able to excuse himself, but these three could not. So they complied to the extent of appearing, but they would not?and did not?share in any wrong act.?Daniel 3:1-18.

Similarly, around holiday times an unbelieving husband might request or demand that his Christian wife do something she would like to avoid. Consider some examples: He tells her to cook a certain food on the day he and others will celebrate a holiday. Or he demands that the family (including his wife) visit his relatives on that day for a meal or simply as a social call. Or even prior to the holiday, he might say that while his wife is out shopping, she must make some purchases for him?foods unique to the holiday, items to use as presents, or wrapping paper and cards to use with his gifts.

Again, the Christian wife ought to be determined not to share in false religious acts, but what about such requests? He is the family head, and God?s Word says: "You wives, be in subjection to your husbands, as it is becoming in the Lord." (Colossians 3:18) In these cases, can she show wifely subjection while being loyal to God? She must decide how to balance obedience to her husband with her overriding obedience to Jehovah.

At other times, her husband may ask her to cook a certain food, whether because it is his favorite or because he is used to having that meal in a particular season. She will desire to show love for him and recognition of his headship. Could she do so even if he made the request on the occasion of a holiday? Some Christian wives might be able to do so with a good conscience, simply considering it as a normal task of preparing the daily meal. Certainly, no loyal Christian would attach any holiday significance to it, even if her husband did. Similarly, he might require her to be with him when he visits his relatives at various times each month or year. Could she do so even if it was the day of a holiday? Or would she normally be willing to purchase things at his request, without judging what he intends to do with the items she buys for him while doing her shopping?

Of course, a Christian wife should think of others?the effect on them. (Philippians 2:4) She would like to avoid giving any impression that she is linked to the holiday, just as the three Hebrews may likely have preferred that others not see them traveling to the plain of Dura. So she might tactfully try to reason with her husband to see if, out of consideration for her feelings, he might do certain holiday-related things for himself to accommodate a wife who loves and respects him. He might see the wisdom of not putting both of them in a potentially embarrassing situation if she would have to refuse to engage in false religious acts. Yes, calm discussion beforehand might lead to a peaceful solution.?Proverbs 22:3.

In the final analysis, the faithful Christian must weigh the facts and then decide what to do. Obedience to God must come first, as it did with the three Hebrews. (1 Corinthians 10:31) But with that in mind, the individual Christian has to decide what noncompromising things can be done at the request of one having authority in the family or in the community.

[Footnote]

See "Questions From Readers" in The Watchtower of August 1, 2001

Edited to add: OOPS, that wasn't quite the article I had in mind, but I'll leave it as it seems to be somewhat relevant.

• M.J.
    M.J.

Here's the article I originally intended to post, plus another one:

w02 8/15 pp. 30-31 Questions From Readers ***

Questions

From Readers

What

guidance do the Scriptures provide about child training when one parent is one of Jehovah?s Witnesses and the other is not?

Two key Scriptural principles provide guidance about child training for a Witness parent who has a non-Witness mate. One is: "We must obey God as ruler rather than men." (Acts 5:29) The other is: "A husband is head of his wife as the Christ also is head of the congregation." (Ephesians 5:23) The latter applies not only to wives with Witness husbands but also to those with non-Witness mates. (1 Peter 3:1) How can a Witness parent balance these principles when teaching his or her children?

If the husband is one of Jehovah?s Witnesses, he is responsible for making both spiritual and physical provisions for his family. (1 Timothy 5:8) Although the unbelieving mother may spend more time with their children, the Witness father should teach his children by giving spiritual training at home and by taking them to Christian meetings, where they will benefit from moral instruction and wholesome association.

What if his unbelieving wife insists on taking their children to her place of worship or teaching them her beliefs? The law of the land may give her the right to do so. Whether the children are enticed into acts of worship at such places may depend much on the quality of the father?s spiritual teaching. As the children grow older, the Scriptural education by their father should help them to follow the truth of God?s Word. How happy the believing husband would be if his children were to take their stand for the truth!

If the mother is one of Jehovah?s Witnesses, she has to respect the headship principle while being concerned about her children?s eternal welfare. (1 Corinthians 11:3) In many cases, her unbelieving mate will not mind if his Witness wife gives moral and spiritual education to their children, and help toward that end is available at meetings of Jehovah?s people. The mother can help her unbelieving husband to see the benefits of the upbuilding education that their children receive through Jehovah?s organization. She can tactfully emphasize the merit of inculcating the Bible?s moral principles in their children, faced as they are with living in a morally deteriorating world.

However, the unbelieving husband might insist that his children practice his religion, taking them to his place of worship and giving them religious education according to his faith. Or a husband may be opposed to all religion and insist that his children receive no religious education. As the head of the family, he is the one primarily responsible for making the decision.

While respecting her husband?s headship, as a dedicated Christian, the believing wife would bear in mind the attitude of the apostles Peter and John, who said: "As for us, we cannot stop speaking about the things we have seen and heard." (Acts 4:19, 20) Out of concern for the spiritual welfare of the children, a Witness mother will find opportunities to provide moral direction for them. She has a responsibility before Jehovah to teach others about what she knows to be true, and her children should be no exception. (Proverbs 1:8; Matthew 28:19, 20) How can the Witness mother deal with the dilemma?

Take for example the matter of belief in God. The Witness wife may not be able to have a formal Bible study with her children because of her husband?s restrictions. Should she for this reason shy away from telling her children anything about Jehovah? No. Her words and deeds would naturally reflect her belief in the Creator. Her children would no doubt have questions on the subject. She should feel free to exercise her freedom of religion by expressing her belief in the Creator, including to her children. Even if she may not be able to conduct a Bible study with the children or take them to meetings regularly, she can impart to them knowledge about Jehovah God.?Deuteronomy 6:7.

Concerning the relationship between a Witness and his or her unbelieving mate, the apostle Paul wrote: "The unbelieving husband is sanctified in relation to his wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified in relation to the brother; otherwise, your children would really be unclean, but now they are holy." (1 Corinthians 7:14) Jehovah views the marital relationship as holy because of the believing mate, and the children are considered holy in Jehovah?s eyes. The Witness wife should do her best to help her children to understand the truth, leaving the final outcome in Jehovah?s hands.

As the children grow older, they have to decide what stand they will take based on the information they have received from their parents. They may decide to act in accord with Jesus? words: "He that has greater affection for father or mother than for me is not worthy of me." (Matthew 10:37) They are also commanded: "Children, be obedient to your parents in union with the Lord." (Ephesians 6:1) Many youths have decided to ?obey God as ruler? rather than a non-Witness parent, despite suffering hardship from that parent. How rewarding it would be to the Witness parent to see the children decide to serve Jehovah in spite of opposition!

[Footnote]

The wife?s legal right to free practice of religion includes her right to attend Christian meetings. In some cases, a husband has been unwilling to care for minor children at those times, so the loving mother was obliged to take them with her to the meetings.

w02 5/15 p. 28 Questions From Readers ***

Questions

From Readers

Would

it be advisable for a true Christian to attend a funeral or a wedding in a church?

Our taking part in any form of false religion is displeasing to Jehovah and must be avoided. (2 Corinthians 6:14-17; Revelation 18:4) A church funeral is a religious service that likely involves a sermon advocating such unscriptural ideas as the immortality of the soul and a heavenly reward for all good people. It may also include such practices as making the sign of the cross and joining in prayer with the priest or minister. Prayers and other religious exercises contrary to Bible teaching may also be a part of a religious wedding ceremony held in a church or elsewhere. Being in a group where everyone else is engaging in a false religious act, a Christian may find it difficult to resist the pressure to join in. How unwise to expose oneself to such pressure!

What if a Christian feels obligated to attend a funeral or a wedding held in a church? An unbelieving husband, for example, may urge his Christian wife to be with him on such an occasion. Could she join him as a quiet observer? Out of regard for her husband?s wishes, the wife may decide to go with him, being determined not to share in any religious ceremonies. On the other hand, she may decide not to go, reasoning that the emotional pressure of the circumstances could prove to be too much for her, perhaps causing her to compromise godly principles. The decision would be hers to make. She definitely would want to be settled in her heart, having a clean conscience.?1 Timothy 1:19.

In any case, it would be to her advantage to explain to her husband that she could not conscientiously share in any religious ceremonies or join in the singing of hymns or bow her head when prayer is offered. On the basis of her explanation, he may conclude that his wife?s presence could give rise to a situation that might be unpleasant to him. He may choose to go alone out of love for his wife, respect for her beliefs, or a desire to avoid any embarrassment. But if he insists that she go with him, she might go as a mere observer.

Not to be overlooked is the effect our attending a service in a religious building might have on fellow believers. Could it injure the conscience of some? Might their resistance to avoid engaging in idolatry be weakened? "Make sure of the more important things," admonishes the apostle Paul, "so that you may be flawless and not be stumbling others up to the day of Christ."?Philippians 1:10.

If the occasion involves a close fleshly relative, there may be additional family pressures. In any case, a Christian must carefully weigh all the factors involved. Under certain circumstances he or she may conclude that no difficulties would arise from attending a church funeral or wedding as an observer. However, the circumstances may be such that by attending, the likely injury to one?s own conscience or to that of others would outweigh the possible benefits of being present. Whatever the situation, the Christian should make sure that the decision will not interfere with his preserving a good conscience before God and men.

• lucky
    lucky

my choice of "lucky" is partly due to the fact that I feel lucky to be out. But I also chose it because I remember when I was younger I had a asked my mom why we could say "fortunate", but not "lucky" (I must have been learning about synonyms in school!) She didn't have a good answer.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit