catholic question

by candidlynuts 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• fairchild
    fairchild

I went to a catholic school. Four times a year, the school would collect money "to send to the poor people in Africa". More than once I emptied my piggy bank and gave every cent I had. Strange enough, after every 'collection', I'd see something new in the school. New chairs, a new blackboard, etc.. I started paying attention to that, and sure enough it never failed. I stopped giving money. When the nuns asked me why I was not donating any money, I told them exactly why. I got suspended for being disrespectful.

• talesin
    talesin

I've personally gone into a cathedral to light candles for someone, and they want so many $ for each candle. So when you see that in the movies, and on TV, they are supposed to pay before they light the candles for the dying, or whatever the prayer is.

It's not like they make a big secret of it, there is a sign right there that tells you how much. Mind you, that was about 10 years ago, so things may have changed ...

It's been my understanding that "dispensations" can be bought, and that it is a centuries-old practice. That's from my Catholic boyfriend from years ago (I've been free for 20 some years), so it's not any leftover JW stuff. His mother and I actually went through their main book (Catechisms, I believe? it was over 20 years ago), and discussed doctrine and a lot of stuff. Having been trained JW since birth, Back then, I was very curious about the realities of other religions, as opposed to the JW-taught myths. I am long past believing anything they ever told me.

• the_classicist
    the_classicist
    I've personally gone into a cathedral to light candles for someone, and they want so many $ for each candle. So when you see that in the movies, and on TV, they are supposed to pay before they light the candles for the dying, or whatever the prayer is.

That's to pay for the cost of the candle.

It's been my understanding that "dispensations" can be bought, and that it is a centuries-old practice. That's from my Catholic boyfriend from years ago (I've been free for 20 some years), so it's not any leftover JW stuff. His mother and I actually went through their main book (Catechisms, I believe? it was over 20 years ago), and discussed doctrine and a lot of stuff. Having been trained JW since birth, Back then, I was very curious about the realities of other religions, as opposed to the JW-taught myths. I am long past believing anything they ever told me.

I doubt that you can buy a dispensation, mainly because you get dispensed from an obligation like going to Mass on Sunday.

The Catechism is on the internet if you ever want to read it, just google it (though google, Baltimore Catechism if you want something easier to read -- but its made for kids).

• talesin
    talesin

:: That's to pay for the cost of the candle.

Okayyyyy, then! :)

Source?

Edited: Nah, I don't really care... carry on

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

Well, diocesean priests are on a fixed salary, and something like that wouldn't go to them. So I guess the rest would go into general revenue which would be distributed into things like maintenance of churches and employment (they employ people to do cleaning instead of guilting volunteers ).

• talesin
    talesin

Yes, that is true, priests are not the beneficiaries of the Vatican's wealth, at least not at that level (ie, parish priest as opposed to say, Cardinal).

The next time I'm talking to my friend in Ottawa, I'll ask her about the purgatory and dispensation stuff. It'll be interesting to hear her understanding or experiences (RC for generations).

I've seen the RC here do some of the best work in the city. They provide meals for the poor on Saturdays and Sundays (there is a regular place that has hot meals on weekdays). They have several food banks, and clothing banks.

The United Church runs one of the biggest outreach programs for the poor and homeless in the city.

By the way, NONE of these churches does any preaching or prayer at these things - it is strictly charitable and FREE.

So, for me it's not about bashing Catholic, just what is the reality of what happens?

Dispelling the JW myths, but also getting the facts.

Thanks, Classicist, you've obviously researched these subjects keenly. Do we have another Leo on the board?

:D

tal

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

i appreciate all the info! you guys are great.

• franklin J
    franklin J

I am sure the Catholics have had their king share of being the big bully; however my experience with them ( being married to a very liberal Catholic) has been very positive. Aside from the bad press they are getting these days for the pedophile priests; and their terribly greedy attitude.....

The parish which my wife belongs to ( which I attend as a non believer) is one of the wealthiest parishes in the NE region of the US. This one parish raised over 1 million dollars last year for the Bishops appeal. When they called the same year for a second contribution I answered the phone , my response was " Do you mean you want MORE money? " When they said yes I responded " talk to my wife; she is the Catholic here and for the record I resent you calling my house asking for money; especially after one million dollars was collected in the Parish".

My wife told them NO, she felt they had collected enough.

They never called or bothered us again.

The church has, however, provided services, shelters, meals, clothing and such for the local underprivledged community; irregardless of differing religious beliefs. That alone sends a very strong message.

• upside/down
    upside/down

There's two things what a "church" can do and what a "church" can't so.- slight twist of what Capt. Jack Sparrow said.- sorry.

Like all "oranized religion", many things are lost in translations and when the cats away the mice play.

Constant middle management issues: what the church "officially" teaches and what it's adherents actually do.

I was raised Catholic and attended Catholic Schools and was an altar boy. That doesn't make me an expert, just a little exposure that's all. People are people no matter the religion.

u/d

• mnb77
    mnb77

with my research on the catholics, they use to do that where you would pay for absolution of sin or getting people out of pergatory (SP?) but now-a-days, they normally make you do a whole lot more prayer time or good works. their getting to heaven has to do with the scraments as well as various good works and what one person does can count as one for someone else.

hope it helps

mnb77

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit