Parents going crazy, please help!

by micah 18 Replies latest jw experiences

• micah
    micah

Please does anyone know what jehova witnesses are currently teaching? My parents have been witnesses for over 30+ years. I have not been a witness for over 10+ years. My brothers nor I associate with Witnesses nor do we attend any meetings. We love my parents dearly and would do anything for them. Approximately 1 year ago my father suffered a heart attack. He had a quad-bipass surgery and is still slowly recovering. When he had the heart attack, my husband and brother drove him to the hospital. We cared for my parents both emotionally and physically. I can count on one hand how many people from their church showed up at the hospital. It was a very emotional time for our family and we are blessed to have another year to spend with my father.

That being said. My parents are retired. Currently their church is building a new assembly hall (not sure) in the state of Oklahoma. My parents are going nuts, they started acting weird. (weirder than normal) Even when we go by and visit you can feel the stress in the air. My mother startes picking at me about things that have no significance. (the color of my daughters walls, swimming lessons, food, etc.) My father is always gone to help with the construction and when he is home all he says is that it is so beautiful..gods purpose.....etc. People they don't know are spending the night at their home and my mother cooks every day to take over to the construction site. I don't know what to do. I am trying to give them space and let them do what they are doing. However, its like they are changing out of their own character.

I think it may be because of it being passover this month. I don't know. What can I do?

• Emma
    Emma

They have probably been roped in with the privilidge task of helping at the site. They've been made to feel special and that they are helping in a major way. Yes, they're being used; are they up to it physically?

The "brothers" will take as much from them as possible; afterall, this is a huge undertaking and many resources are needed. If they're not well, you may have to make a big fuss.

• kls
    kls

It's sounds like your parents are under alot of stress with your dad helping with the new hall and your mom cooking for all these people and having them stay with them. As far as new teachings,i don't think there is anything that would make them act any different.

We will see what other posters have to say,maybe they can come up with something.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

They sound to me like the 'normal' JW, only being hospitable to other JWs.

However, if they're somewhat old, you might want to have them checked up for dementia. The illness affects all JWs and non-JWs alike.

DY

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Quick-build fever is like that.
    An Assembly Hall just takes longer to build, so the stress levels are maintained for longer.

This will likely pass.
    Meanwhile keep hoping

• Preston
    Preston

First of all, Hello Micah and Welcome to the board:

Well it certainly doesnt sound like they're happy Micah. In fact it sounds like their statements are a bit forced, it just doesnt strike me as natural to mention a litany of benefits about kingdom hall construction and making a living out of a series of complaints. Maybe considering the context of their lives right now they are dealing with a lot of mortality issues and are trying to find at least some value in what they are dedicating their lives to. I think the longer they are shown the love, which is strongly lacking in the org, from you and your brother, they will feel less adamant on nitpicking trivial matters and striving for the little good that comes out of blindly following organiational procedures. Good luck Micah, hope you enjoy your stay.

- Preston

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Welcome Micah,

I'm with LittleToe on this one. It's a terribly stressful time, but it will pass. They're just freakin' with all that's going on. Strangers in her house, cooking all the time, dad dealing with the fast pace of Witness construction. It's got to be eating them away. There's one verse in the Bible that I still think makes sense, Ecclesiastes 7:7 "Oppression [stress] may make a wise one act crazy."

Hang in there.

Dave

• micah
    micah

thank you all for your comments.

This is the first time I have posted here and you have been very helpful. I cried when I read your comments, Its been a long journey dealing with my past faith and standing my ground with my parents. I love them very much. I don't want to see them hurt. I think I will step back and let them finish freaking out. :o) However, I will wait for them to come back to "normal".

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

As they become older, it's good to stay close to them, even if they don't recognize that it's for their own good.

The elders, along with other brothers and sisters in the faith will clean them out of their savings and their possessions if there isn't a member of their immediate family looking out for them.

I've heard of cases in which the elders have talked aging couples into signing out their house and other belongings over to the WTBTS once they pass away. Also talk the elderly into lending money to the WTBTS with hopes of recovering it later, but that 'later' never comes, and once the person passes away the WTBTS keeps that money free and clear without a trace.

Be careful, really careful. The WTBTS has a lot to gain from the elderly.

DY

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

Micah:

The sad reality is: they may never come back to "normal" as you and I think of it. They are hard core Witnesses, just as my Mother is, and they won't be swayed by the exploitation of the brothers. To them, it's not exploitation, but being chosen to serve in Jehovah's work. That's very special to them. From what I have found out, all big mainstream religions become power hungry and money hungry. They will be dealt with eventually. All you can do is to drop a little hint now and then, without them alientating you, and just go along with it. When it comes the time for them to be aware, they will become aware. Just keep being the special son that you are, and loving your parents, and trying to drop hints now and then.. and you might be surprised. My thoughts are with you and your family..

CG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit