Tithing

by AshtonCA 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AshtonCA
    AshtonCA

okay, I understand tithing, I just want to know what y'all's thoughts are on putting money in the tithings and offerings in a church. The reason I ask is,am thinking about going to a church because I have no one to talk to about anything religious because my mom has disowned me and I'm now all by myself in my quest to discover my own beliefs. I have depended on either the org or my parents for most of my life and it is now time for me to come to my own understandings and beliefs.

My mom is so against any kind of organized religion that just setting foot in one is a sin against God. She says all organized religion is a part of babylon the great and the scripture that says get out of her if you don't want to share in her sins refers to all religions. I am not sure I agree with that. I mean I can see how the org is, but not all of em. So, if she ever finds out that I'm contemplating going back into a religion, she will even disown me more than she already has, if that is possible. Remember, She's not a JW any longer, but she still thinks like one on most subjects.

Ash

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Mormons do it - JWs do not - instead of demanding 10 percent they demand 10 hours

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

The WT has hinted in the past that OT commands to tithing and additional voluntary offerings while not directly speaking to Christains does set an example. IOW we want you to give financially in the "spirit" of the OT tithing as well as go preaching. Preaching does not absolve a JW from finacial giving. This has been emphasized to pioneers for years. The definition of "decent living" was given as caring for your needs AND giving to the WTBTS.$

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

churches expecting money is one of the big reasons i wont pursue any other religion.

i just dont have it to give.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

In the Mormon church tithing is merely a precursor to a law called the United Order/law of consecration which means that you give everything to the church and you are made a steward over what you need - in other words ownership of property will cease - ultimate communism !!!! We tried it once and failed miserably (150 odd years ago) - now we stick with the law of tithing though if you've been to the temple one of the promises made their is to sacrifice everything for building up of God's kingdom.. On top of tithing there are additional offerings - fast offerings (once a month the value of two meals)and then if you go on a mission you need to find £5000 odd. And then there are extra donations that are made as needs permit...buildings, book of Mormon printing costs etc.. Oh while I remember I think the top church leaders do live the law of consecration ...I'm fairly certain the apostles and 1st Presidency give all their assets to the church.

• Perry
    Perry
    I have depended on either the org or my parents for most of my life and it is now time for me to come to my own understandings and beliefs.

Congratulations! Good Luck on your journey. Welcome to freedom.

• mnb77
    mnb77

Hey.

Just to give my 2 cents on this, in reading the OT, I learned that the practices that God put in place only to help isreal survive. The tithing was for the leaders of the levites and this was because their one focus was working for god through every thing and not holding other jobs. Technically it was part of the law that was given in the OT and Christ fulfilled the Law of Moses (stuff in OT). this means we don't have to tithe today, but I have found that if i give at least a 10th of my income I am always taken care of by God. when i slip on my giving, not just tithing but monetary offerings, i feel more of a squeeze for money and free time. May sound crazy, but I believe that God fulfills his word when he said the whole thing about, "Give and it shall be given..." he takes care of his people who seek him and desire to do the right stuff...

live in grace and glorify Him

mnb77

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit