songs to leave by

by spider 40 Replies latest jw friends

• spider
    spider

When you were leaving the witnesses, were there songs you liked to play which expressed something of what you were feeling?

Here are the tracks which I turned up and sang to:

Who wants to live forever? Queen

I don't care anymore - Phil Collins

Losing my religion - REM

There were also lines of songs which I got a perverse enjoyment out of singing, such as Morresseys, Everyday's like a Sunday, he sings - 'come Armargeddon, come armageddon come'.

Singing songs or lines like that used to make the hairs stand up on the back of my neck because it was a small expression of rebellion.

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

Spider, someone else did a thread like this, it was cool to hear all of the songs people came up with. Losing my religion by REM is a classic.

I'm probably a little older than you and the ones I can remember listening to at the time were:

Let It Be by the Beatles

The Last Resort by the Eagles

Don't Fear The Reaper by the Blue Oyster Cult

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

The song i heard and reassured me that my doubts over the WTS' teachings on Jesus were valid:

"Christ the Lord Has Risen Today".

My epiphany.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

How 'bout "50 Ways to Leave Your Lover" for those who're in a quandary about how to do so?

• Satans little helper
    Satans little helper

REM's losing my religion is of course the classic but Metallica's 'Am I Evil' was one of my favourites to bang out in the months leading up to my escape. Think I was trying to tell them something?

• Simon
    Simon

"I'm on my way, from misery to happiness again ... uh huh ..."
    - The Proclaimers (and not 'of the Kingdom' !)

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Watching the Wheels - John Lennon

• talesin
    talesin

Well, since I was 18, and it was the 70s, it has to be

18 by Alice Cooper

"I just gotta get outta this place!"

t

• Quotes
    Quotes

When REM's Losing my Religion was on the charts, I was actually losing my religion. I didn't fully realize it at the time, though (due to the usual confusion, denial, etc. we all go through when exiting.

I recently saw a MuchMusic flashback show, and they said that song, whch they gave good ratings in the flashback, had "meaningless lyrics" yet it was a great song anyway. I disagree, I think the lyrics have deep meaning.

For example: "oh no, I've said too much" --> I said this to myself many times after discussions with my (now ex-) wife. I know exactly what it means (at least, to me).

~Quotes, of the "Nightswimming" class

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Mine was "I Want to Be Free" by Queen I love Queen!

REM's Losing My Religion was also a favorite.

Gosh there we a lot of songs that helped me escape at least in my head at the time until I could physically get the hell out. Music was a huge release and comfort to me, I actually started listening to my kids music which was all Alternative music. Fell in love with a little known band (at the time) called Weezer "In the garage" is one of my faves by them.

Oh and I have to mention Cake, "Short Skirt/Long Jacket", love that song!

It's weird how I can hear a song playing on the radio and it takes me back to that time and I have so many emotions flowing through my veins, good bad and everything in between, but mostly it makes me smile.

Kate (listening to Weezer right now)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit