The British NHS........ What is your view?

by ScoobySnax 46 Replies latest jw friends

• link
    link

The trouble with the British NHS is that it is now paying for things that it was never set up for, or intended to cover. I mean things like removing tattoos that somebody no longer wants and getting childless women pregnant. If it stuck to its original aims of providing primary health care and saving lives it would have money left over after providing the best service in the world.

link

• Xena
    Xena

Simon,

My ex husband was burned in an accident, air evacuated to the hospital here in Austin then again to a speciality hospital in San Antonio where he spend over a month in critical car, received skin graft surgery, medication, a special suit that burn victims have to wear and follow up medication and physical therapy. We had no insurance and we did not have to pay for any of it. It was covered under Catastrophic Medicaid. We do not allow people to die when they need emergency care. Yes our system sucks but we are not animals.

I don't know much about the system you have therefore I won't venture an uninformed opinion.

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

Im a brit ex-pat living the US. The NHS a an amazing system (I think the second largest employer in the world after the chineese army?). The US system is excelent if you have money. I'm talking around $350 a month per adult. I lived many years with no health insurance becuse I could'nt afford it. I have a couple of friends still paying their health bills from over six years ago with no end in sight.

If in the UK you can afford suplimentary private health care then you'll get a similar service to what you get here. However, if you can't you will still get FREE emergency care, and yes you may get put on a waiting list, but its better than NO list. And prescription drug coverage. eg I needed some sleeping pills a couple of years ago, $120 for two weeks!

steve.

• ballistic
    ballistic
    that would be those holding British passports??

Sheesh - no wonder it takes so bloody long to process a passport application - Are we handing them out to the rest of the world???!!!

• Simon
    Simon
    The trouble with the British NHS is that it is now paying for things that it was never set up for, or intended to cover. I mean things like removing tattoos that somebody no longer wants and getting childless women pregnant. If it stuck to its original aims of providing primary health care and saving lives it would have money left over after providing the best service in the world.

I agree 100%. IMO fertility treatment is NOT a lifesaving or necessary treatment.

• Simon
    Simon
    We do not allow people to die when they need emergency care. Yes our system sucks but we are not animals.

I don't know much about the system you have therefore I won't venture an uninformed opinion.

You are mixing up A&E. Yes, unconscious people inaccidents etc... get treatment.

What I'm refering to is people needing an operation for some condition and not being able to afford it ... it won't get done.

• Xena
    Xena
    refusing someone lifesaving emergency treatment based on someone's bank ballance is shameful.

this is what you said. you were wrong. deal with it.

• ballistic
    ballistic

tell you what I believe... apart from "shit happens"

Corporations answer to and make money for shareholders, and unlike common myth, shareholders aren't "the people", they are the rich (don't forget everyone reading this board is in the top 5% wealthiest in the world also)

At least the NHS is run on a not for profit basis, i.e. run by our government from our taxes. And to be honest, good value for money in my experience.

• ballistic
    ballistic

I knew I would kill that thread.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

It was guaranteed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit