JWs ....Transplants - Canibalism

by JW Ben 40 Replies latest watchtower medical

• JW Ben
    JW Ben

TRANSPLANTS ? CANNIBALISM

Many opponents of the WTBTS have published information saying that the WTS forbade organ transplants, and the reason given was that the WTS said it was equal to cannibalism. Some that have read their reports belive that what is written is truth.

Is this true? Did the WTS forbid organ transplants and then change their mind?

The Watcthower of Novemder 15 1967 had a question from readers ? Is there any Scriptural objection to donating one?s body for use in medical research or to accepting organs for transplant from such a source??

Before looking at some of the points in the article, remember the year was 1967. Transplants were relatively knew. Doctors were still ?experimenting? with them. The first transplants were performed in 1933, but failed. Some were done in the 1940s, these also failed, In the 1940s cornea transplants were being done. In the early sixties, organ transplants were starting to work. The first successful kidney transplant was in 1954; Liver ? 1963; Pancreas ? 1966; Small Bowel - 1967 and Heart ? 1967.

There is also no direct mention of transplants in the Bible, so Bible principles need to be look at to determine what an individual Christian should do.

From a "Watching the World" snippet (remember that Watching the World articles are not from the WTS but other sources) November 8 1970 was this information?.

Fewer Heart Transplants

· The first heart transplant was performed in December of 1967. In 1968, 101 were attempted. In 1969, the number dropped to 47. In 1970, only 15 were performed up to September. Of all these, only 21 recipients are still alive. Dr. Norman E. Shumway of Stanford University said: ?The initial enthusiasm, approaching hysteria, which greeted the first clinical cardiac transplants now seems to have been replaced by a generally pessimistic outlook.?

That demonstrates the way the technology was going at that time. It has improved so much since then, but the Watchtower article was written in relative the early days of transplants. That was 1970 and the article about transplants was in 1967.

Back to the WT article in question, the area that mentioned cannibalism is reproduced bellow. Notice the second paragraph as it explains why it was considered cannibalism?.

?When there is a diseased or defective organ, the usual way health is restored is by taking in nutrients. The body uses the food eaten to repair or heal the organ, gradually replacing the cells. When men of science conclude that this normal process will no longer work and they suggest removing the organ and replacing it directly with an organ from another human, this is simply a shortcut. Those who submit to such operations are thus living off the flesh of another human. That is cannibalistic. However, in allowing man to eat animal flesh Jehovah God did not grant permission for humans to try to perpetuate their lives by cannibalistically taking into their bodies human flesh, whether chewed or in the form of whole organs or body parts taken from others.

It is of interest to note that in its discussion of cannibalism the Encyclop?dia of Religion and Ethics, edited by James Hastings, Volume 3, page 199, has a section designated ?Medical cannibalism.? It points out that this is associated with the idea of obtaining strength or some medical virtue from the flesh of another human, adding: ?The most remarkable example of this practice occurs in China. Among the poor it is not uncommon for a member of the family to cut a piece of flesh from arm or leg, which is cooked and then given to a sick relative. . . . The whole superstition in China is certainly connected with the idea that the eating of the human body strengthens the eater. . . . Among savages the practice is found of giving a sick man some blood to drink drawn from the veins of a relative.? Some might argue that therapeutic practices involved in modern organ transplant operations are more scientific than such primitive treatment. Nonetheless, it is evident that men practicing medicine have not been beyond using treatments that amount to cannibalism if such have been thought justified. ?

Did the article say that a JW could not have a transplant? Part of the reason that some feel that they did, is from these paragraphs. Notice that the information is presented in question form, but not answered?.

?What should be done, though, when a Christian is asked to provide an organ for use in another person or to allow the body part of a deceased loved one to be so used? We might ask, If a Christian decided personally that he would not sustain his own life with the flesh of another imperfect human, could he conscientiously allow part of his flesh to be used in that way to sustain someone else?

When it comes to deciding what to do with one?s own body or with the body of a deceased loved one, for which a Christian is responsible, the apostle Paul?s words at Romans 12:1 should not be overlooked: ?I entreat you by the compassions of God, brothers, to present your bodies a sacrifice living, holy, acceptable to God, a sacred service with your power of reason.? Baptized Christians have dedicated their lives, bodies included, to do the will of Jehovah their Creator. In view of this, can such a person donate his body or part of it for unrestricted use by doctors or others? Does a human have a God-given right to dedicate his body organs to scientific experimentation? Is it proper for him to allow such to be done with the body of a loved one? These are questions worthy of serious consideration.?

The next discussion seemed to be more direct in the answer??

Our bodies are the creation of Jehovah God. (Ps. 100:3; 95:6; Job 10:8) Christians might allow apparently necessary surgery to be performed, such as to remove a diseased limb, but they do not needlessly mutilate their bodies created by Jehovah. Would allowing a body to be mutilated after death be showing respect for and appreciation of God?s creation? True, in some instances there may be legal requirements that Christians abide by, such as when the law requires a postmortem examination to determine the cause of death. (Rom. 13:1, 7; Mark 12:17) In such cases the next of kin can usually request that the organs not be removed for transplant or reuse. In this way, even though an autopsy might be required, the Christian can prevent misuse of the body of a loved one. But when such laws do not apply, the Christian can decide in such a way as to avoid unnecessary mutilation and any possible misuse of the body. Thus he will be able to have a clear conscience before God.?1 Pet. 3:16.

The reader here, is reminded of the fact that, Jehovah is the one that caused us to be, and, of our requirement to hold a good conscience before God. Notice that it does not say YOU MUST NOT have a transplant but, just that our conscience must be clear in front of God. That is why the next and last paragraph in the article says (italics, bold & underline mine)?.

It should be evident from this discussion that Christians who have been enlightened by God?s Word do not need to make these decisions simply on the basis of personal whim or emotion. They can consider the divine principles recorded in the Scriptures and use these in making personal decisions as they look to God for direction, trusting him and putting their confidence in the future that he has in store for those who love him.?Prov. 3:5, 6; Ps. 119:105.

Now the conclusion of the matter was, that individuals should consider what principles might apply in the matter of transplants and then make a personal decision and what ever we decide our conscience should be clear.

In the Awake of July 8 1972, the idea of transplants being ? a form of cannibalism ?

was again mentioned. The prompt in the article behind this was the apparent failure at that time of heart transplants. The article said?.

Life magazine, September 17, 1971, showed a picture on the front cover of six persons who had received heart transplants and who seemed to be well and happy at the time. But within just eight months after the picture was taken all six of these had succumbed to their body?s efforts to reject foreign tissue. The article told how ?the rejection drugs triggered bizarre acts,? and that ?their ballooning faces haunted one doctor.? The author of the article, who has written a book on the subject, Hearts, also reported that the death rate for heart transplants for the first three years was more than 85 percent. One surgeon, who transplanted twenty-two hearts, had every last one of his patients die. And while he dismissed the entire matter as ?a procedure which we tried and?for the time being?discarded,? the patients were not able to be so casual about it. And here again, it might be noted, that the stand of the Christian witnesses of Jehovah?that such transplants are in effect a form of cannibalism?proved a safeguard. How so? In that it spared them much frustration, grief and anxiety, which were experienced not only by the patients and their relatives but even by many of the assisting medical personnel.

It does not say a JW could not have a transplant. Remember at this time few people survived a transplant and rejection drugs had some awful side effects

and by a JW not having a transplant saved the agony on the patient and family of seeing these side effects when few patients lived.

Now an article from "Watching the World" June 22 1972 (Notice this was published one issue BEFORE the above article ?.

Successful Heart Operation

· Andries Botes, 44, of Kroonstad, South Africa, needed a serious operation to replace a defective heart valve. One of Jehovah?s witnesses, he appealed to the heart team led by Professor C. Barnard of Groote Schuur Hospital in Cape Town to do the operation without using blood. Barnard is the doctor known for his heart transplants. The Sunday Times of Johannesburg tells what happened: ?He [Botes] was turned down as a patient by the Groote Schuur heart team of Professor Chris Barnard. The professor?s brother, Dr. Marius Barnard, wrote to Mr. Botes: ?In our hospital we do not believe that surgery can be done safely without blood. If you do not see your way open for an operation [using blood] we cannot help you further.?? However, Botes contacted another doctor. With what result? The Sunday Times reported in a headline: ?Pretoria surgeon does major heart op[eration] without transfusion.? It noted that an eminent surgeon, Dr. Coert Venter of the Hendrik Verwoerd General Hospital in Pretoria, ?replaced a valve in a man?s heart without a blood transfusion.? The artificial valve was inserted successfully and the patient recovered.

This would not have been printed if transplants were out right forbidden. It would appear as if up until that time heart transplants were done with blood, but now they were able to be done without blood.

Now an article from Awake March 22 1974. It is the story of a surgeon and his PERSONAL view of transplants.

Today much is also made of the transplanting of various organs?kidneys, hearts, lungs and livers. But, regarding these procedures, I am reminded of the comment that my father once made. I was home from medical school and performed a vasectomy on one of his patients who had asked to be sterilized. I was proud of my newly learned technique and asked my father what he thought of it. He replied: ?The patient is no doubt pleased, but I wonder what the Creator thinks about it.? Because of what I have reason to believe is the Creator?s view of organ transplants, I have serious reservations as to their Scriptural propriety.

That demonstrates that transplants were/are a personal decision. It is true from the way that material was presented, that some readers of these articles might conclude that they implied transplants were forbidden. However, it was never stated. Personally I see that those articles were leaning toward not having a transplant because of some of the Bible principles that were involved, but it was still clearly left up to the individual. ("use these in making personal decisions ")

The science of heart transplants was not looking good even in 1974?

?A Job for the Creator?

· Two of the world?s most famous heart surgeons recently commented on the future of transplants. Dr. Michael E. DeBakey says: ?I think the general interest as far as heart transplants is concerned has diminished greatly because of the experience that we had . . . The results were not sufficiently good to justify the effort.? Dr. Denton A. Cooley observes: ?Although we have been able to replace all the components of the heart, the only part we cannot replace is the heart muscle . . . It seems that is a job for the creator . . . That seems to be the frontier beyond which we have not been able to advance.?

In the March 15 1980 Watchtower was the following question from readers (Bold underlined italics mine)?

Questions from Readers

? Should congregation action be taken if a baptized Christian accepts a human organ transplant, such as of a cornea or a kidney?

Regarding the transplantation of human tissue or bone from one human to another, this is a matter for conscientious decision by each one of Jehovah?s Witnesses. Some Christians might feel that taking into their bodies any tissue or body part from another human is cannibalistic. They might hold that the transplanted human material is intended to become part of the recipient?s body to keep him alive and functioning. They might not see it as fundamentally different from consuming flesh through the mouth. Such feelings may arise from considering that God did not make specific provision for man to eat the flesh of his fellowman when he made provision for humans to eat the flesh of animals that had been drained of their life-sustaining blood. They may give consideration also to the way people in Bible times viewed sustaining themselves by taking in human flesh. For example, see the account at 2 Kings 6:24-30; Deuteronomy 28:53-57; Lamentations 2:20 and 4:10. At John 6:48-66, Jesus spoke figuratively of eating his flesh and drinking his blood. On hearing this discussion and not perceiving the spiritual significance of his words, some of his Jewish disciples were shocked and turned from following him. These accounts illustrate how some humans felt about eating human flesh.

Other sincere Christians today may feel that the Bible does not definitely rule out medical transplants of human organs. They may reason that in some cases the human material is not expected to become a permanent part of the recipient?s body. Body cells are said to be replaced about every seven years, and this would be true of any human body parts that would be transplanted. It may be argued, too, that organ transplants are different from cannibalism since the ?donor? is not killed to supply food. In some cases persons nearing death actually have willed body parts to be used for transplants. Of course, if a transplant should require taking in another person?s blood, undeniably that would be contrary to God?s command.?Acts 15:19, 20.

Clearly, personal views and conscientious feelings vary on this issue of transplantation. It is well known that the use of human materials for human consumption varies all the way from minor items, such as hormones and corneas, to major organs, such as kidneys and hearts. While the Bible specifically forbids consuming blood, there is no Biblical command pointedly forbidding the taking in of other human tissue. For this reason, each individual faced with making a decision on this matter should carefully and prayerfully weigh matters and then decide conscientiously what he or she could or could not do before God. It is a matter for personal decision. (Gal. 6:5) The congregation judicial committee would not take disciplinary action if someone accepted an organ transplant

My conclusion from this information is that anyone that publishes that the WTS forbade transplants is doing a disfavor to every one. First, it takes away their credibility as they are putting forward an idea that did not exist. Second for anyone that listens to such a clam are being unduly biased against JWs over a matter of conscience.

I will leave this discussion to you. I will read replies but it is unlikely I will have anything else to say on this matter.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Hey JWBen,

Thanks for the post and your comments. Hope my comments dont seem antagonistic to you, if they do please take em with a grain of salt.

First I might mention, the WTS by saying that certain things are conscience matters, creates the false idea that according to the bible somethings are conscience matters and some are not. This position actually weakens to role of the conscience, by forbiding some things, making them out of the question, and allowing other things. All things are conscience matters. If I wear a pink shirt with yellow polka dots or if I take a blood transfusion, everything is a conscience matter. Now certainly somethings are more weighty or important than others, but all things are conscience matters.

This is where I feel the Society gets in to trouble with God. They become the conscience by making some things no nos and permitting other things. The witness conscience is only used when the Society says it can be used.

Secondly, Whether a transplant was safe are not at that time is not the issue.

And here again, it might be noted, that the stand of the Christian witnesses of Jehovah?that such transplants are in effect a form of cannibalism?proved a safeguard.

JWBen do you really think that a mature witness wouldnt have got the picture. Cannibalism=Bad disfellowshipping offense; such transplants=Cannibalism. If I'm wrong here let me know but this sentence can be rephrased. It should be noted that the stand of the Chrstian witness of Jehovah agains such transplants proved a safeguard. The rephrasing says the same thing. Transplants are wicked because they are a form of cannibalism and by the way unsafe.

It does not say a JW could not have a transplant.

It doesnt have to say it in so many words, we get the point easily.

The artificial valve was inserted successfully and the patient recovered.

JWBen this article has nothing to to with organ transplants. It is about replacing artifical valves. The mention of the doctor having done heart transplants is merely a recognition of his credintials as a surgeon.

Because of what I have reason to believe is the Creator?s view of organ transplants, I have serious reservations as to their Scriptural propriety.
    ?Although we have been able to replace all the components of the heart, the only part we cannot replace is the heart muscle . . . It seems that is a job for the creator . . . That seems to be the frontier beyond which we have not been able to advance.?

Again JWBen they are casting transplants in a negitive light saying its work only for the creator to do. A mature witness would have caught the drift.

Some Christians might feel that taking into their bodies any tissue or body part from another human is cannibalistic.

Yes because the watchtower indicated thats how they should feel.

The congregation judicial committee would not take disciplinary action if someone accepted an organ transplant

Now they clear where they stand completly, If this was how they always felt they why didnt they just say so.

Im a Christian, supose my conscience wouldnt be bothered by a full on blood transfusion? Would that defense hold water with the Society? How is that any different than my conscience not being bothered by an organ transplant? See they make the rules on what should bother your conscience. Saying you follow your conscience just means you follow their rules for the conscience.

You said you probably wouldnt respond but I hope you do JWBen. :)

Later man

IPSec

• Quotes
    Quotes

JW Ben said:

==============
    I will read replies but it is unlikely I will have anything else to say on this matter.
    ==============

OOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! *THAT* explains why you haven't responded to request for more information or follow-up discussion in your other threads! Well, if I may ask, what is the point of posting at a Discussion Forum if you don't want to discuss? Not a good way to "win friends and influence people" (as Carnegie would say).

As for this thread, although you've stated you won't be sticking around to discuss, I'll answer anyway for the many seekers of truth that will see this thread in the future.

Without getting into details, if you henestly think that there was not a "ban" on organ transplants, you are truly grasping at straws. Your argument reminds me of this quote in this thread:

=================
    As Bible scholar E. R. Thiele said about a Watchtower article on chronology, "It reminds me of the way an unscrupulous lawyer would deal with facts in order to support a case he knows not to be sound."
    =================

It also reminds me of the way the WT sometimes claims that they don't have a proscription against VOTING. Yeah, right, as if any JW is allowed to vote. JWs do *NOT* vote, for the same reason that they didn't take organ transplants when they were banned: because the WT told them not to, using clever language that paid lip service to JWs making their own decision and then forced them to decide only and exactly what WT wanted them to decide: Voting? VERBOTTEN!!! Organ transplants? VERBOTTEN!!!

I truly wonder, JW Ben, if you really, truly believe in what you wrote in your essay above? Are there so few things for you to grasp at that you are forced to grasp at straws?

~Quotes, of the "collects WT transplant quotes" class

• talesin
  • HappyDad
    HappyDad

JW Ben is more blind than Ray Charles...........and HE'S DEAD! (God rest his soul)

The rest......I edited cuz it isn't worth anything to get pissed at an idiot.

• ezekiel3
    ezekiel3

Here for all to see, the key articles in their entirety. IMO the 1967 QFR definitely paints organ transplants in a negative light and makes a cliche of cannabalism. The 1980 QFR revises this extreme viewpoint (as well as the following quotes from the brochure How Can Blood Save Your Life).

I completely agree with IP that a "mature" JW" would never consider an organ transplant in light of the 1967 article.

Indeed Ben, you ought to be more honest with yourself.

w67 11/15 pp. 702-704 Questions from Readers ***

Questions

from Readers

?

Is there any Scriptural objection to donating one?s body for use in medical research or to accepting organs for transplant from such a source??W. L., U.S.A.

A number of issues are involved in this matter, including the propriety of organ transplants and autopsies. Quite often human emotion is the only factor considered when individuals decide these matters. It would be good, though, for Christians to consider the Scriptural principles that apply, and then make decisions in harmony with these principles so as to be pleasing to Jehovah.?Acts 24:16.

First, it would be well to have in mind that organ transplant operations, such as are now being performed in an attempt to repair the body or extend a life-span, were not the custom thousands of years ago, so we cannot expect to find legislation in the Bible on transplanting human organs. Yet, this does not mean that we have no indication of God?s view of such matters.

When Jehovah for the first time allowed humans to eat animal flesh, he explained matters this way to Noah: "A fear of you and a terror of you will continue upon every living creature of the earth and upon every flying creature of the heavens, upon everything that goes moving on the ground, and upon all the fishes of the sea. Into your hand they are now given. Every moving animal that is alive may serve as food for you. As in the case of green vegetation, I do give it all to you. Only flesh with its soul?its blood?you must not eat." (Gen. 9:2-4) That allowance was made to Noah, from whom every person now alive descended. Hence, it applies to all of us.

Humans were allowed by God to eat animal flesh and to sustain their human lives by taking the lives of animals, though they were not permitted to eat blood. Did this include eating human flesh, sustaining one?s life by means of the body or part of the body of another human, alive or dead? No! That would be cannibalism, a practice abhorrent to all civilized people. Jehovah clearly made a distinction between the lives of animals and the lives of humans, mankind being created in God?s image, with his qualities. (Gen. 1:27) This distinction is evident in His next words. God proceeded to show that man?s life is sacred and is not to be taken at will, as may be done with the animals to be used for food. To show disrespect for the sanctity of human life would make one liable to have his own life taken.?Gen. 9:5, 6.

When there is a diseased or defective organ, the usual way health is restored is by taking in nutrients. The body uses the food eaten to repair or heal the organ, gradually replacing the cells. When men of science conclude that this normal process will no longer work and they suggest removing the organ and replacing it directly with an organ from another human, this is simply a shortcut. Those who submit to such operations are thus living off the flesh of another human. That is cannibalistic. However, in allowing man to eat animal flesh Jehovah God did not grant permission for humans to try to perpetuate their lives by cannibalistically taking into their bodies human flesh, whether chewed or in the form of whole organs or body parts taken from others. WOW BEN DID YOU READ THAT??

It is of interest to note that in its discussion of cannibalism the Encyclop?dia of Religion and Ethics, edited by James Hastings, Volume 3, page 199, has a section designated "Medical cannibalism." It points out that this is associated with the idea of obtaining strength or some medical virtue from the flesh of another human, adding: "The most remarkable example of this practice occurs in China. Among the poor it is not uncommon for a member of the family to cut a piece of flesh from arm or leg, which is cooked and then given to a sick relative. . . . The whole superstition in China is certainly connected with the idea that the eating of the human body strengthens the eater. . . . Among savages the practice is found of giving a sick man some blood to drink drawn from the veins of a relative." Some might argue that therapeutic practices involved in modern organ transplant operations are more scientific than such primitive treatment. Nonetheless, it is evident that men practicing medicine have not been beyond using treatments that amount to cannibalism if such have been thought justified.

Modern science has developed many different types of operations that involve human body parts, some common and usually successful and others experimental and often unsuccessful. It is not our place to decide whether such operations are advisable or warranted from a scientific or medical standpoint. It would be well, though, for Christians faced with a decision in this regard to consider the indication as to God?s viewpoint presented in the Scriptures.?Eph. 5:10.

At present scientific researchers are starting to use artificial or animal parts where formerly human parts were thought necessary, such as in the case of cornea transplants. (See, for instance, Science News for May 21, 1966, page 396, and Time for April 28, 1967, pages 68 and 70.) Whether wider use of such operations will be made, we do not know. Nor can we decide whether a Christian should accept some animal part as a transplant; that is for personal decision. (Gal. 6:5) However, we can be sure that in the future the time will come when all human medical operations will be unnecessary. (Rev. 21:4) Christians have strong evidence that the new order is near at hand when Jehovah the Great Physician will, through Jesus, do healing beyond the limitations of medical science of today. That means wait, at least for another 38 years or so.?Mark 8:22-25; John 11:43, 44; Acts 3:6, 7; Matt. 12:15.

What should be done, though, when a Christian is asked to provide an organ for use in another person or to allow the body part of a deceased loved one to be so used? We might ask, If a Christian decided personally that he would not sustain his own life with the flesh of another imperfect human, could he conscientiously allow part of his flesh to be used in that way to sustain someone else?

Even from a medical standpoint there is some question as to the wisdom and ethicalness of some transplants. One physician discussed this publicly in the Annals of Internal Medicine, citing the results of 244 kidney-transplant operations. In the majority of cases the recipient did not live more than a year after the operation. Then, commenting on the dangers for the volunteer who donates one of his kidneys, the doctor asked: "Is it right to subject a healthy person . . . to the possibility . . . of shortening his life by 25 or 30 years in order to extend another?s life by 25 or 30 months or less?" Reporting on this, Newsweek, of March 2, 1964, page 74, added that the doctor "offers no conclusive answer, but he suggests that the question needs to be asked more often."

When it comes to deciding what to do with one?s own body or with the body of a deceased loved one, for which a Christian is responsible, the apostle Paul?s words at Romans 12:1 should not be overlooked: "I entreat you by the compassions of God, brothers, to present your bodies a sacrifice living, holy, acceptable to God, a sacred service with your power of reason." Baptized Christians have dedicated their lives, bodies included, to do the will of Jehovah their Creator. In view of this, can such a person donate his body or part of it for unrestricted use by doctors or others? Does a human have a God-given right to dedicate his body organs to scientific experimentation? Is it proper for him to allow such to be done with the body of a loved one? These are questions worthy of serious consideration.

Not to be overlooked is the use to which a dead body might be put. Would a Christian who, while living, refused to give his blood to be used as a transfusion for some other person, allow his body to be turned over to a group or to a person and possibly at that time have the blood removed and used for transfusion, as has been done with some cadavers? (See, for example, Awake! of October 22, 1962, page 30.) A person might feel that he could stipulate that his body not be used in that way; but if many persons in authority refuse to abide by a Christian?s wishes about blood when he is alive, what reason is there to believe they will show more respect for his wishes after his death? Would they use his organs in cannibalistic medical experiments? Huh?

Our bodies are the creation of Jehovah God. (Ps. 100:3; 95:6; Job 10:8) Christians might allow apparently necessary surgery to be performed, such as to remove a diseased limb, but they do not needlessly mutilate their bodies created by Jehovah. Would allowing a body to be mutilated after death be showing respect for and appreciation of God?s creation? True, in some instances there may be legal requirements that Christians abide by, such as when the law requires a postmortem examination to determine the cause of death. (Rom. 13:1, 7; Mark 12:17) In such cases the next of kin can usually request that the organs not be removed for transplant or reuse. In this way, even though an autopsy might be required, the Christian can prevent misuse of the body of a loved one. But when such laws do not apply, the Christian can decide in such a way as to avoid unnecessary mutilation and any possible misuse of the body. Thus he will be able to have a clear conscience before God.?1 Pet. 3:16.

It should be evident from this discussion that Christians who have been enlightened by God?s Word do not need to make these decisions simply on the basis of personal whim or emotion. They can consider the divine principles recorded in the Scriptures and use these in making personal decisions as they look to God for direction, trusting him and putting their confidence in the future that he has in store for those who love him.?Prov. 3:5, 6; Ps. 119:105.

So we can summarize without any positive comments: Organ transplants are cannabalism and mutilation of the body.

Notice the following counters negative points with a positive opinions:

*** w80 3/15 p. 31 Questions from Readers ***

Questions

from Readers

?

Should congregation action be taken if a baptized Christian accepts a human organ transplant, such as of a cornea or a kidney?

Regarding the transplantation of human tissue or bone from one human to another, this is a matter for conscientious decision by each one of Jehovah?s Witnesses. Some Christians might feel that taking into their bodies any tissue or body part from another human is cannibalistic. They might hold that the transplanted human material is intended to become part of the recipient?s body to keep him alive and functioning. They might not see it as fundamentally different from consuming flesh through the mouth. Such feelings may arise from considering that God did not make specific provision for man to eat the flesh of his fellowman when he made provision for humans to eat the flesh of animals that had been drained of their life-sustaining blood. They may give consideration also to the way people in Bible times viewed sustaining themselves by taking in human flesh. For example, see the account at 2 Kings 6:24-30; Deuteronomy 28:53-57; Lamentations 2:20 and 4:10. At John 6:48-66, Jesus spoke figuratively of eating his flesh and drinking his blood. On hearing this discussion and not perceiving the spiritual significance of his words, some of his Jewish disciples were shocked and turned from following him. These accounts illustrate how some humans felt about eating human flesh.

Other sincere Christians today may feel that the Bible does not definitely rule out medical transplants of human organs. They may reason that in some cases the human material is not expected to become a permanent part of the recipient?s body. Body cells are said to be replaced about every seven years, and this would be true of any human body parts that would be transplanted. It may be argued, too, that organ transplants are different from cannibalism since the "donor" is not killed to supply food. In some cases persons nearing death actually have willed body parts to be used for transplants. Of course, if a transplant should require taking in another person?s blood, undeniably that would be contrary to God?s command.?Acts 15:19, 20.

Clearly, personal views and conscientious feelings vary on this issue of transplantation. It is well known that the use of human materials for human consumption varies all the way from minor items, such as hormones and corneas, to major organs, such as kidneys and hearts. While the Bible specifically forbids consuming blood, there is no Biblical command pointedly forbidding the taking in of other human tissue. For this reason, each individual faced with making a decision on this matter should carefully and prayerfully weigh matters and then decide conscientiously what he or she could or could not do before God. It is a matter for personal decision. (Gal. 6:5) The congregation judicial committee would not take disciplinary action if someone accepted an organ transplant.

The 1980 QRF illustrates how the WTS defines a trully personal choice. The 1967 QFR is a classic, "you decide exactly what we tell you."

hb p. 16 Quality Alternatives to Transfusion ***

The conscience of some Witnesses permits them to accept organ transplants if done without blood. A report of 13 kidney transplants concluded: "The overall results suggest that renal transplantation can be safely and efficaciously applied to most Jehovah?s Witnesses." (Transplantation, June 1988) Likewise, refusal of blood has not stood in the way even of successful heart transplants.

*** hb p. 28 Jehovah?s Witnesses?The Surgical/Ethical Challenge ***

The Witnesses do not feel that the Bible comments directly on organ transplants; hence, decisions regarding cornea, kidney, or other tissue transplants must be made by the individual Witness.

• link
    link

Ben,

Many of us older ones will be aware of Witnesses who died only because they refused an organ transplant. Are you saying that they died because they misunderstood what the Societies position was regarding transplants?

They died because if they had accepted they would have been disfellowshipped.

Witnesses today, and no doubt yourself, will say; "ah! but they were only following their own consciences and following the word of God as written in His book the Bible". If this is true then the Bible must have been edited in recent years to reflect a change of mind by God because many Witnesses today undergo transplant surgery.

It is blatantly obvious that you are the only Witness who ever understood the Societies original rules on transplants to mean that you could have one if you wished. If that is what they meant in the first place why did they change their rules ? they must have done so because Witnesses are no longer dying from lack of organ transplants.

link

• Gordy
    Gordy

Firstly if any JW thinks that QFR didn't forbid transplants must have great difficulty understanding any other JW doctrine as well.

But also on this point of transplants here is a good one I was told by someone who was a JW at the time it happened.

A JW brother had a bad heart, was recommended to have a transplant, which he was allowed under the revised WT rulings.

But not long after his JW wife sued him for divorce.

On what grounds? ....... ADULTERY

Because he had a part of another person in him.

Go figure that out

• blondie
    blondie

Actually, JWBen, I don't think you lived during that period or were old enough to understand what was going on in the WT organization then.

I personally know of 4 JWs that refused transplants during the period between 1967 and 1980 and when that 1980 QFR came out immediately scheduled a transplant. If it had always been understood as a "conscience" matter then the 1980 QFR would not have affected all 4 "personal" decisions.

The key in this is the comparison to cannibalism.

First they say that "animal" transplants were a personal decision (1967)

w67 11/15 p. 703 Questions from Readers ***

At present scientific researchers are starting to use artificial or animal parts where formerly human parts were thought necessary, such as in the case of cornea transplants. (See, for instance, Science News for May 21, 1966, page 396, and Time for April 28, 1967, pages 68 and 70.) Whether wider use of such operations will be made, we do not know. Nor can we decide whether a Christian should accept some animal part as a transplant; that is for personal decision. (Gal. 6:5)

Then they say that a human organ transplantation would be cannibalism and forbidden by God.

w67 11/15 p. 702 Questions from Readers ***

When there is a diseased or defective organ, the usual way health is restored is by taking in nutrients. The body uses the food eaten to repair or heal the organ, gradually replacing the cells. When men of science conclude that this normal process will no longer work and they suggest removing the organ and replacing it directly with an organ from another human, this is simply a shortcut. Those who submit to such operations are thus living off the flesh of another human. That is cannibalistic. However, in allowing man to eat animal flesh Jehovah God did not grant permission for humans to try to perpetuate their lives by cannibalistically taking into their bodies human flesh, whether chewed or in the form of whole organs or body parts taken from others.

From this then

organ transplants = cannibalism

cannibalism = forbidden by God

therefore

organ transplants = forbidden by God

That is why the WTS found it necessary to add this statement at the end of the QFR 1980 to clarify that individuals choosing to have a transplant should not be dealt with judicially any longer.

w80 3/15 p. 31 Questions from Readers ***
    The congregation judicial committee would not take disciplinary action if someone accepted an organ transplant.

Blondie (no theory, lived through it)

• Poztate
    Poztate

A S WITH BLOOD, THE WTS originally had no objections to organ transplants. In a Questions from Readers section in The Watchtower, Aug 1/1961

"? Is there anything in the Bible against giving one?s eyes (after death) to be transplanted to some living person??L. C., .

The question of placing one?s body or parts of one?s body at the disposal of men of science or doctors at one?s death for purposes of scientific experimentation or replacement in others is frowned upon by certain religious bodies. However, it does not seem that any Scriptural principle or law is involved. It therefore is something that each individual must decide for himself. If he is satisfied in his own mind and conscience that this is a proper thing to do, then he can make such provision, and no one else should criticize him for doing so. On the other hand, no one should be criticized for refusing to enter into any such agreement."
    JWBEN...In the beginning (so to speak) they had no problem with organ transplants. They should have kept their mouth shut after that...But could they...No way.Then we get into all the crap that followed. Fred Franz was running things then and he was the biggest flake they ever had.(well maybe not) They are still doing damage control to clean out his very weird doctrines and ideas. If you are honest with yourself look into things fully and don't do little info bites from here and there.The days of the WT or anyone else conning us are long past.Try to think for yourself..It only hurts for a litttle while.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit