why no windows in KH?

by Buck 16 Replies latest jw friends

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

I remember when they had windows! *sigh* getting old here... I also remember when they started covering them up. First it was curtains, then it was shudders, then they just boarded the suckers up and called it good.

I think that it was because some dip-sh** elder got offended whey we would look out the windows at the trees and birds and just obviously space his hard to read from a manuscript well researched talk.

J

• trevor
    trevor

It saves all the sheep having to wear blinklers. They can believe what they are told about the world outside, instead of having to see it.

• eyegirl
    eyegirl

i don't know, the new one in my hometown that my parents go to--it has windows. the old one didn't, but this one does.

• willyloman
    willyloman

An old timer told me it was a security issue left over from back in the day when JWs were tarred and feathered by mobs; when they started building their own meeting places, they made them fortresses. When our congo built a hall back in the 80's, our lot looked out over a spectacular mountain range so the body of elders opted for a couple of large windows along that side of the hall. This was not without controversy. A couple of older elders harkened back to the old tradition, and one outright admitted he thought windows would be a distraction, making it difficult for "some" to pay attention to the material coming from the platform. The windows stayed in.

And, sure enough, people were seen gazing out the windows on more than one occasion. We refrained, however, from having attendants slap them upside the head with a ruler. Ours was an enlighted congo.

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

Like Masonic halls, most Kingdom Halls don't have windows.

• bebu
    bebu
    when they started building their own meeting places, they made them fortresses.

Hmmmm. Do JWs think that they will be safe at a KH when "Armageddon" comes? If so, maybe that is also a reason for making it a little more like a fortress...

bebu

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz
    An old timer told me it was a security issue left over from back in the day when JWs were tarred and feathered by mobs

Oh, Geez... I remember my dad saying this too... lol

J

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit