"Music That Debases"

by xjw_b12 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

This was triggered by what bem said in Angarhad's thread about the George Benson CD

Does anyone remember that talk given at the District Conventions in the mid 70's. Were you there? Do you recall the next day, how we were all telling each other about how many LP's we destroyed?

I recall one friend braggin how between him and his sister, they threw away over 100 albums.

Gone were Styx, Deep Purple, even my beloved Boston.

By the time I was done, about all I had left was Anne Murray and the Carpenters!

• Scully
    Scully

I bet you can rebuild your LP collection today on e-Bay.

The thing is..... everything is relative. What was considered by the WTS in the 70s as Music That Debases? (disco, for example, for its repetetive beat that was apparently mimicking the rhythm of en flagrente sexual activity - as if Fred Franz had a single clue about that!), is what they play on the Sunday Oldies Show on the "soft pop rock" radio stations.

Love, Scully

PS: I got rid of some Beatles albums, Meatloaf's Bat Out of Hell, Supertramp, Pink Floyd and a few other faves.

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

I was there, it was the one time my sister stood up for herself to here future super elder husband. When he wanted to raid her extensive collection of LP's she sounded like Moses, er Charleton Heston when she told him, "Out of my cold dead hands."

• Scully
    Scully

*** w83 10/15 pp. 10-15 Beware of Music That Debases! ***

Beware

of Music That Debases!

"Instruct me, O Jehovah, in your way, and lead me in the path of uprightness."?PSALM 27:11.

JEHOVAH GOD graciously gave mankind the gift of music. This was a unique expression of his undeserved kindness, for although music is not needed to sustain life, it enables humans to express emotions?their sorrows, their joys. (Genesis 4:21) It can bring comfort when there is sadness or greater happiness in times of joy. Appropriately, then, James wrote fellow Christians: "Is there anyone in good spirits? Let him sing psalms."?James 5:13.

Singing and music have long been associated with the worship of Jehovah. His ancient people joyously praised him in song at times of deliverance. (Exodus 15:1-21; Judges 5:1-31) God directed the establishment of a musical organization for service at his temple. (Psalm 68:24-26) Jesus Christ and his apostles sang praises after the Lord?s Evening Meal. (Mark 14:26) The apostle Paul urged fellow Christians to express their sentiments in ?spiritual songs, accompanying themselves with music in their hearts to Jehovah.? (Ephesians 5:19) And to this day, singing is a regular feature of worship among witnesses of Jehovah.

Music undeniably has power. It can reach hearts and stir emotions. So, worldly anthems and marches are used to arouse patriotic fervor. Worldly schools have "fight" songs to inspire athletes. Advertisers use catchy tunes to sell products. Such evidence of music?s power should put Christians on guard.

Why

a Need for Caution?

Satan the Devil is also aware of music?s great power, and he sometimes uses it to affect the heart and lead people away from the pure worship of Jehovah. In this respect, therefore, loyal Christians need to ?safeguard the heart, for out of it are the sources of life.? (Proverbs 4:23) We must be especially careful that the music we listen to does not lead us away from "the path of uprightness" and into debased, God-dishonoring conduct.?Psalm 27:11.

Jehovah has been very generous in giving humans the gift of music. But how often it has been misused! Therefore, in choosing music, we need to be very selective and discerning. Even without hearing the words, we can often tell what kind of spirit certain songs are designed to produce. From a distance, Moses could discern that music emanating from the Israelite camp was not ?the singing over mighty performance or the singing of defeat.? When he finally came to the camp and saw how the people were acting, he knew that the music had been of the kind that led to unrestrained idolatrous conduct. (Exodus 32:15-19, 25) So we today need to examine the kind of mood, or spirit, that the music we listen to is producing. Does it uplift us, or is it music that debases?

The apostle Paul realized that Satan desires to debase or corrupt Jehovah?s people. Hence, Paul urged fellow believers to separate themselves from the unrighteous, and asked: "What fellowship do righteousness and lawlessness have? Or what sharing does light have with darkness? Further, what harmony is there between Christ and Belial?" (2 Corinthians 6:14-17) Today, the Devil has cunningly been using various forms of unrighteousness in music, thereby endeavoring to seduce people into degraded conduct and thus turn them away from God. Dedicated witnesses of Jehovah need to be alert to these dangers.

Have

No Share With the Demons!

In the field of music spiritual perils do exist. For instance, many popular musicians are involved in the occult. Some openly admit that they worship Satan, and satanic influence often shows up in their music and songs. But how can a Christian tell if demonic influence exists in certain music? It is sufficient in some cases to look at the cover of a record album. Depicted on it you may see characters dressed to look like witches, demons or devils. Or the cover may have pictures tending toward the mystical or the occult. The name of the musical group or of an album may indicate a connection with the demons, as may the titles and words of the songs. For example, what would you conclude from song titles such as "Sympathy for the Devil" and "Children of the Grave"? The New York Post reported that one such song was "a brazen admission" that the musicians were "working hand-in-glove with Satan."

There have also been recordings of unscriptural and even demonistic messages by means of a technique called backward masking, used by a number of musical groups. When the recording of one very popular song is played backward, it repeatedly says, "Decide to smoke marijuana." If played backward, another popular recording carries this message: "I will sing because I live with Satan. . . . There?s no escaping it, my sweet Satan."

Normally, of course, people do not play recordings in reverse. Yet, when listening to certain musical records, either unscriptural or demonic ideas may be absorbed by a mind left open to improper suggestion. High Fidelity Magazine quoted a divisional head of one record company as saying: "The kind of receptivity needed for the new rock and the new classical are exactly the same. . . . You have to give yourself up to it and let them take your mind." But is this wise? A spiritually unguarded mind can leave you open to intrusion by the demons!?Compare Matthew 12:43-45.

To his beloved fellow believers the apostle Paul wrote: "The things which the nations sacrifice they sacrifice to demons, and not to God; and I do not want you to become sharers with the demons. You cannot be drinking the cup of Jehovah and the cup of demons; you cannot be partaking of ?the table of Jehovah? and the table of demons." (1 Corinthians 10:20, 21) Immorality and involvement with spiritism, the occult or anything demonistic have no proper place in the life of a faithful Christian.?Deuteronomy 18:10-12; Galatians 5:19-21.

In view of divinely inspired counsel, then, what should a Christian do if he discovers that he has musical recordings betraying demonic influence? Surely, he should destroy them, for Jehovah?s people must not be "sharers with the demons." Under similar circumstances, early Christians at Ephesus acted without hesitation, for we read: "Indeed, quite a number of those who practiced magical arts brought their books together and burned them up before everybody. And they calculated together the prices of them and found them worth fifty thousand pieces of silver." (Acts 19:19) Those "lovers of Jehovah" hated what was wicked and were not deterred by thoughts of material loss. Rather, to their great spiritual benefit, they destroyed possessions of demonistic nature.?Psalm 97:10.

Avoid

the World?s Spirit

Neither should we overlook the worldly spirit of wild abandonment often associated with today?s music and musicians. (Compare Ephesians 2:1-7.) For instance, when one concert was canceled, thousands of fans rioted, The Toronto Star reporting: "They bombarded 268 policemen with bottles, chains and other missiles during a 30-minute rampage . . . They tore out 200 seats welded to steel posts and bolted to concrete. They heaved scores of metal chairs on stage. . . . They ripped out steel turnstiles, smashed windows in ticket booths and the Grandstand restaurant, and damaged several cars outside the stadium." Should a Christian ever be in such company?

At such performances alcohol and drugs are usually taken in freely. Additionally, the music and actions of the performers engender a spirit of wild abandonment. Clearly, the type of music played on such occasions, along with elements including demonism, drugs and violence, can only be debasing. Could a Christian, then, listen to the same music in his own home without being affected detrimentally? Hardly! And no faithful witness of Jehovah will ignore the Bible principle: "God is not one to be mocked. For whatever a man is sowing, this he will also reap."?Galatians 6:7.

Yet, some have felt: ?I don?t listen to the music for the words; I just like the beat. It?s good to dance to.? But there can be danger in this, too. According to The Times-Herald of Newport News, Virginia, "an avid disco dancer might dance all night to a hit song without noticing any more about the music than the pulsating beat and the hook line, a musician?s term for a catchy phrase that?s repeated frequently." True, the music may have a catchy beat for dancing, but what are the words encouraging us to do? What is entering the listener?s mind? For example, how can a loyal witness of Jehovah dance to the music of a song that urges him, over and over again, to go and commit fornication??1 Corinthians 6:9, 10.

Of course, morally debased lyrics are not limited to rock and disco music. In many lands or localities there are forms of music that may be quite popular locally despite having a beat or using lyrics that true Christians may find quite objectionable. Concerning country music, an article in The News & Observer of Raleigh, North Carolina, states: "Honky tonk angels and cheatin? men have always played their part in country songs, but never in the history of the music have their illicit affairs been so graphically depicted as they are today." Alluding to another trend in popular but immoral music, The Spokesman-Review says: "Women are singing about sex in the night and sex on the dance floor and sex on the street corner." Can such songs be anything but debasing?

Never forget that the imperfect human heart is treacherous, desperate. (Jeremiah 17:9) Is your heart persuading you to listen to or dance to what you know to be wrong in Jehovah?s eyes? If so, beware! Prayerfully seek God?s help so that you can ?keep on making sure of what is acceptable to the Lord and quit sharing in the works belonging to the darkness.? (Ephesians 5:10-12; Psalm 5:1, 2) Your firm refusal to listen to or dance to sexually debased music may even serve to reprove others whose heart may be misleading them.

Those immersed in the spirit of this wicked system of things may take delight in sexually debased music. But how could this possibly be true of faithful Christians? They are counseled: "Let fornication and uncleanness of every sort or greediness not even be mentioned among you, just as it befits holy people." (Ephesians 5:3) Have we fittingly ?repudiated ungodliness and worldly desires?? Then let us watch not only what we say but also what we listen to, so that it does not include songs about immorality. Let us "live with soundness of mind and righteousness and godly devotion amid this present system of things."?Titus 2:11-14.

But how do you personally feel about worldly musicians? Ask yourself: Do I imitate some of them in my dress, grooming and speech? How much of my conversation is about them and their music? Am I idolizing them by wearing T-shirts or jackets that advertise such performers, or even by hanging their pictures or posters in my room? Does this please Jehovah, to whom my reverence should go? Am I following the Bible?s plain counsel to "flee from idolatry"??1 Corinthians 10:14; Romans 1:24, 25.

Distinguish

Between Right and Wrong

The apostle Paul wrote: "Solid food belongs to mature people, to those who through use have their perceptive powers trained to distinguish both right and wrong." (Hebrews 5:14) Christian parents and youths need to use properly trained perceptive powers to distinguish between right and wrong. They need to recognize and thoroughly reject the deceptive enticements of debasing music. As the "anything goes" moral code becomes more entrenched in this Devil-dominated world and its music, witnesses of Jehovah, young and old, must become ever more decisive in aligning their lives with the high standards of their heavenly Father.?Psalm 119:9-16; 1 John 5:19.

Never forget that music has power. It can affect the heart. Do you see yourself getting caught up in the spirit of questionable worldly songs? Then act promptly to safeguard your heart. If you are a youth, discuss the situation with your Christian parents. Also, pray fervently to Jehovah for help by means of his holy spirit.?Proverbs 4:23; Luke 11:13; Galatians 5:22-24.

Parents, what are you doing to help your children to distinguish between acceptable music and the debasing kind? As Christians, can you properly allow them to listen to songs featuring demonism, sexual immorality, drug abuse and violence? Well, then, before buying a record or allowing your children to listen to certain music, take the time to examine the album cover to see if it gives evidence of corrupt influences. Consider the titles and the lyrics of the songs. If the songs are debasing, discuss this kindly with your youngsters. You might point out that all Christians should be ?babes as to badness but full-grown in powers of understanding,? not seeking knowledge of vile things or filling their minds with debasing ideas. (1 Corinthians 14:20) After such a discussion, doubtless you and your children will get rid of any Scripturally objectionable records in your possession and together resolve that never again will you listen to debasing music.

There is a wide variety of Scripturally acceptable and upbuilding music, including delightful Kingdom songs enjoyed by Jehovah?s Witnesses worldwide. So we are not missing anything worthwhile by rejecting music that debases. By a regular study of the Bible and related Christian publications, may we train our perceptive powers to distinguish between right and wrong. Then let us cling to what is right. If any music conflicts with God?s righteous standards, reject it. Yield to his instruction and be firm in staying on "the path of uprightness." (Psalm 27:11) By all means, beware of music that debases! At the same time, may your personal choice of music be a praise to God, who "furnishes us all things richly for our enjoyment."?1 Timothy 6:17.

How

Would You Answer?

· What evidence do we have that music has power?

· How can you tell if there is demonic influence in certain music?

· What should be done if you have musical recordings betraying demonic influence?

· If a person?s heart is moving him to listen to or dance to debasing music, what help is there?

· How can Christian parents help their children to avoid music that debases?

[Study

Questions]

1. How is Jehovah?s gift of music unique?

2. Music and song have had what relationship with Jehovah?s worship?

3. What evidence is there that music has power?

4. As regards music, concerning what must worshipers of Jehovah be especially careful?

5. In choosing music, why should we be very selective?

6. How has the Devil been using some music, and so what words of Paul are particularly noteworthy?

7. How can a Christian tell if there is demonic influence in certain music?

8. By means of backward masking, what kind of messages have been put in some musical recordings?

9. Ideas of what kind can be absorbed when one listens to certain kinds of music, and how can this be dangerous?

10. How should faithful Christians view anything demonistic?

11. What should a Christian do if he discovers that he has demonistic musical recordings?

12, 13. (a) What worldly spirit often is associated with present-day music and musicians, and how has this been displayed? (b) How should Jehovah?s Witnesses apply Galatians 6:7?

14. Why is it not fitting to listen to and dance to a song suggesting immoral conduct?

15. What debasing trends are there in modern music?

16. What help is there for a person whose heart is moving him to listen to or dance to sexually debased music?

17. As regards music, how do you think we can apply the counsel at (a) Ephesians 5:3? (b) Titus 2:11-14?

18. Regarding our attitude toward certain musicians, what questions might be asked?

19. With respect to music, how should properly trained perceptive powers be used?

20. What is recommended in the case of a young person who is getting caught up in the spirit of questionable songs?

21. How can Christian parents help their children to avoid debasing music?

22. (a) Why are we not missing anything worthwhile by rejecting music that debases? (b) What should be our attitude and viewpoint in choosing music?

[Picture

on page 12]

Debasing music is not for Jehovah?s people

[Picture

on page 14]

Should true Christians imitate worldly musicians in dress, grooming and life-style?

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Thanks Scully.....I think

There have also been recordings of unscriptural and even demonistic messages by means of a technique called backward masking, used by a number of musical groups. When the recording of one very popular song is played backward, it repeatedly says, "Decide to smoke marijuana."

LOL

Maybe the WTS should have remastered the "Kingdom Melodies" albums with backward masking, to say "Decide to worship the FDS"

• metatron
    metatron

I remember this stupid talk - especially because it highlights the Society's inaccurate research.

The supposed 'reverse recording ' example of "My Sweet Satan" is utter nonsense. It's taken from Led Zepplin's

"Stairway to Heaven" and it is the phrase "there's still time" ( to change the road you're on). I actually played it backwards,

so I know first hand this is crap.

metatron

• Scully
    Scully

The one thing that this article shows without a doubt, is the WTS's penchant for spreading gossip and rumours in the form of what are now called Urban Legends.

http://www.snopes.com/music/hidden/hidden.asp

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    Does anyone remember that talk given at the District Conventions in the mid 70's. Were you there? Do you recall the next day, how we were all telling each other about how many LP's we destroyed?

Oh yeah I was there. However, even though I was hard core ain't no way I was going to destroy my albums (destroy Sgt. Pepper? Sorry chief, ain't happening). Besides this was a stupid talk. I didn't believe it then.

I remember thinking this was one of their "roll-a-dex" talks. That's what I used to call talks or Watchtower articles that had a bunch of random sentences strung together that were designed to sound (1) scary or (2) spiritually deep. I'd usually tune out and let my mind wander or if it was a convention I'd take a nap.

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

Yeah, I threw away over 100 albums. Having a hard time replacing them now.

JWs can't listen to debasing music? but it's ok for a child molester to be an elder.

Walter

• Quotes
    Quotes

I remember the BACKWARD MASKING Watchtower study. I was young and impressionable, but I don't think I fully bought into the concept, even then. I didn't have any albums to destroy, but my oldest brother did get rid of some, and kept others.

A few years later, my friend had to hide the Guns & Roses CD cover from his parents. (He now has a downloaded music library of over 10,000 songs).

Hey Scully, thanks for finding the "backwards masking" WT article. I had wanted to add it to the "Music" quotes page, but couldn't find the time to search for it. Thanks to your research, I have just updated http://quotes.watchtower.ca/music.htm.

To any JW lurkers: does promoting a falsehood ("backward masking") sound like something that "God's Channel" should be doing? Was this lie "spiritual food at the proper time"??????

Oh, what's that, dear WT defender? You say "imperfect humans make mistakes when delivering God's message"???? EXACTLY. My point exactly. You have just admited there were mistakes in WT teachings; therefore it is reasonable to conclude that there are mistakes in WT teachings. I guess we CAN agree on something.

~Quotes, of the "Welcome to the jungle" class

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit