Anyone wanna pick apart the special talk?

by IP_SEC 41 Replies latest watchtower bible

• heathen
    heathen
    Must a person go to heaven to have a truly happy future? (163)

The WTBTS totally misses the point on this dogma . Heaven comes to earth and only those admitted to the city of new jerusalem when it lands on earth will recieve all the blessings in revelation the rest are referred to as dogs and such .

Good job blondie

• avishai
    avishai

When is this special talk?

• blondie
    blondie

I would guess it is April 2, 2005, since it has to be a Sunday right after the Memorial on the 24th. I think March 27th is too soon.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

Important instructions for the talk

point out to new ones how they can benefit from it.

Not that they have benefitted from it - ie. it is important that they do what we say

-----------------------------------

The method.....

Tell them something bogus to try and frighten them

Your Future Depends on Accurate Knowledge

While they're startled, bait them with a subtle but important lie

Most religious artwork depicts Jesus as frail, halo-encircled, effeminate, and melancholy

• People today are so fat that a healthily thin person is percieved as frail; Christ was so plain that the authorities needed Judas to point him out, and indeed the halo is used to identify him as blessed, but it can be used as an accusation about being sanctimonious (remember, these people are startled, and have guilt, so retain the air of accusation and you may keep their attention)
    • We don't like long hair - so make it plain from the start that, for us, the look of iconography (the long-hair look) means "effeminate" - if people don't agree they can just leave now, the fact is that we require their effeminacy, not rebelliousness, so call the long-hairs effeminate.
    • People generally see Christ associated with crucifixion, and hence sad for us, naturally he enjoyed life, but do not mention that he called a spade a spade and that he ate at pubs.

Now you have the lie for the foundation of the talk - don't forget to bait, and then switch - watch the next bit

In our quest for accurate knowledge about Jesus, we must turn to a reliable source, the Word of God

There's the lure - fear not being accurate - now the bait - "the Word of God" - so now for the switch

Bible-based knowledge about Jesus

Now you can tell them our opinions about Jesus, in the knowledge that they believe

1. it's imperative to their safety
    2. others are percieved as wrong
    3. they think you are delivering a bible message (so make sure some things are words that are from the bible)

You can even finish by telling lies that they are without experience to know any different, such as "Jehovah?s Witnesses imitate Jesus and manifest love for one another" - we know you won't forget what you have been taught: 'be really nice to the interested ones'.

Don't forget, once you know how, you can bait and switch non-stop. Just look at the last section

"..follow Jesus.." and then "Jehovah?s Witnesses imitate Jesus"

See it's easy, just follow our guidelines - you'll do well.

• eye 23
    eye 23

I think it strikes me that the talk goes from jesus life in heaven to jesus being born on earth to jesus dying suffering and then his heavenly appointment?????????????????????????????????????????hugh! wheres the bit about Jesus LIFE his love /compassion /kindness in his dealings with others...........his respect wisdom etc etc..... the bit we as his followers are supposed to learn from???? his complete life on earth seems to be missing from this talk..........go figure eh? dont want to delve too deep into what we are supposed to be as christ like people..............hey .........tell me again whom did Jesus shun?..............oh yes I remember...........NO ONE!

eye23

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Hey thanks for this outline and post - appreciate it

• heathen
    heathen

Jesus may not have shunned but he did condemn many , in fact the entire jewish religious system .

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

IP_SEC:Thanks for posting this. What's the theme, again, this year?

For those that don't know how it's usually done, I'm going to take a trawl down memory lane and mark it up, as I might have presented it when I was a good little dub - I'm feeling masochistic, tonight.
    I used to try and stay as much as possible in the same book of the bible, for consistency. I would have paraphrased the highlighted parts in my own words, leaving pretty much everything else out, though I might have included one of the magazine quotes:

Theme: ???

Song: 205 "Christ Our Exemplar" (yeah, I still have a copy of the songbook )

Introduction: Discuss Michelangelo's painting of the Sistine Chapel
    (http://sun.science.wayne.edu/~mcogan/Humanities/Sistine/)

Your Future Depends on Accurate Knowledge About Jesus (5 min.)Most religious artwork depicts Jesus as frail, halo-encircled, effeminate, and melancholy (g98 12/8 5-6)
    A close examination of the Scriptures reveals that Jesus was vigorous, manly, joyful and certainly not sanctimonious (Mr 6:3; Lu 2:52; Joh 2:14-16 (paraphrase whipping temple merchandisers); Ac 2:26-28
    Just as most religious artwork is misleading, so are most religious teachings about who Jesus was and why he suffered and died.

In our quest for accurate knowledge about Jesus, we must turn to a reliable source, the Word of God (Lu 1:1-3; 1Th 2:13; 2Pe 1:16)
    Bible-based knowledge about Jesus is vital because it alone can lead us to a happy future and everlasting life (Joh 17:3) (READ - key scripture about knowledge required)
    God?s Word provides answers to important questions, such as: Who was Jesus? Why was he persecuted? Who was responsible for his suffering and his death? What vital role does his death play in our relationship with God and our hope for life?

Who Jesus Really Was (5 mins) - 5min point
    Jesus knew who he was and where he came from
    He spoke a number of times of his prehuman existence (Joh 3:13; 6:38, 62; 8:23, 42, 58; 17:5)
    (cite other chapters, for note-takers, then READ John 6:38, emphasising God's will, not his)

Before angelic or human life existed, God directly created Jesus in spirit form (Rev 3:14)
    He was thus God?s Son, the firstborn of all creation (Col 1:15-17)
    Through him God created all other things, including the earth and the first humans, Adam and Eve

At the appointed time, Jehovah transferred the life of his heavenly Son to the womb of Mary, a Jewish virgin (Lu 1:30, 31, 34, 35; Ga 4:4)
    Jesus was born a perfect, sinless human (it-2 56)
    At about 30 years of age, he was anointed with holy spirit, and he was begotten as God?s spiritual Son on earth as well as the promised Messiah (Mt 3:16, 17; Lu 3:23; Joh 4:25, 26)

Why Jesus Suffered (15 min) - 10min point
    Jesus knew that his godly course in life would lead to his being persecuted and finally killed (Mt 16:21)
    It was foretold that he would be a victim of hostility described symbolically at Genesis 3:15

The reason why Jesus suffered involved his upholding of Jehovah?s sovereignty despite all the efforts of Satan to break His integrity (cl 144)
    Jesus settled with dramatic finality the issue of the integrity of God?s servants (Heb 7:26; w91 2/15 14-15)
    Despite being the object of vicious opposition, Jesus fulfilled his commission with dignity, humility, and self-control because of his great love for God (1Pe 2:22, 23)
    In this Way he proved Satan to be a base liar and conquered the world under the Devil?s control (Joh 16:33) (READ)

Jesus? sufferings also served to perfect him for his role as High Priest for mankind (Heb 2:10, 18; 4:15)
    He was hated because he spoke the truth about God and was no part of the world (Joh 7:7; 8:40; 15:18, 19; 17:16)(READ - emphasise how this affects us)
    Jesus learned obedience by the things that he suffered (Heb 5:8)
    At his death he was able to cry out triumphantly: ?It has been accomplished!? (Joh 19:30) (Hold this scripture in abeyance, in case it's needed to make up time, else bend the time requirement and use John 12 in next section, if it flows better at the time)

Jesus Died to Glorify God and to Save Man (15 min) - 25min point - over half way
    Jesus died, not for doing wrong, but for proclaiming the truth and glorifying Jehovah God (Joh 8:46, 47; 17:4) (READ - verse 3 and 4, as this is key scripture emphasising especially v4)
    His foremost desire was to sanctify God?s name (Mt 6:9 Joh 12:27, 28) (Potentially read, depending on if John 19 was read in previous section - comment on reply)
    By remaining faithful to God, Jesus gave the finest evidence in favor of the rightfulness of Jehovah?s universal sovereignty (Job 1:6-12; 2:2-6; Rev 3:14) (comment on it being greater even than Job)

During his short ministry, Jesus demonstrated his love for people by teaching them about God?s Kingdom and by healing those who were suffering (Mat 4:23)
    His greatest act of love for people was his willingly giving his life as a ransom for mankind (READ 1 Timothy 2:5, 6) (Joh 15:13; w95 6/15 14-15) (instruction is to read, so read)
    This was ?a corresponding ransom,? which means that his perfect life corresponded exactly to the perfect life that Adam forfeited for himself and for his offspring when he sinned (Ro 5:12, 18, 19; w92/15 13-18; cl 141-3)
    If Jesus had been God or part man and part God, he would not have been a corresponding ransom
    Jesus tasted death for every man (Heb 2:9, 17)
    The ransom was provided for the world of mankind (1jo 2:2)
    To benefit from it individually, we must exercise faith in this marvelous and loving arrangement! (READ John 3:16, 18, 36) (instruction is to read, so read - emphasise God's love and v36 penalty for disobedience)

By accepting the ransom and by obeying Jesus? teachings, we come out from under the wrath of God and into his favor.

Trust God?s Word and follow Jesus to life (5 mins) - 40min point
    The Holy Scriptures paint an accurate picture of Jesus and reveal that ?he was full of undeserved kindness and truth? (Joh 1:14)
    They verify that Jesus was resurrected from the dead and that he has become the ?Chief Agent of life? (Ac 3:15; 1 Cor 15:3-8)
    He is the ?one mediator between God and men? (1 Ti 2:5) [NB - I wasn't aware of the 144k thing]Jesus has not changed but remains full of mercy and undeserved kindness (Heb 4:14-16)
    He invites people of all national origins and ethnic groups to follow him and benefit from his teachings (Mt 11:28-30; 28:19, 20) (potentially reword to the effect of "worldwide work")

A study of the bible reveals the key identifying mark of Jesus? true followers today (READ John 13:34, 35; 17:25, 26) (instruction is to read, so read - emphasise meeting attendance, as way of loving one another)
    Regardless of attitudes that prevail in the world, Jehovah?s Witnesses imitate Jesus and manifest love for one another (g98 10/22 6)
    To embrace the hope of life eternal, we must study the bible and learn more about Jesus role in Gods purpose (READ John 20:31) (instruction is to read, so read - comment on source being God's Word)

Probably some rousing final sentence or two along the lines of:May we follow in Jesus footsteps today, in obedience to our loving father Jehovah!

FINISH - 45mins

NOTE: Adhere closely to the outlined material, and observe the indicated timing of each section. Not all cited texts need to be read or commented on)

No. 161-E
    © 2004 Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania
    To be covered in 45 minutes
    All rights reserved

It took me all of: 45 mins to mark this up. If I'd had a heavy week and had been pushed for time I'd probably be able to give this, now, with perhaps one more look over it on the Sunday morning.

Any Elders out there want to invite me over as an out-of town impromptude visiting speaker
    That's a genuine offer, btw - LOL.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

LT

Why did Jesus suffer and Die? is the theme

IPSec

PS: Your song book isnt pink is it? :P JK

PPS: Thanks for getting my talk up for me!!! great! :)

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I've now got to thinking how I might present it to inject a little cognisive disonant, into a congregation:

Theme: Why did Jesus suffer and Die?

Song: 205 "Christ Our Exemplar" (yeah, I still have a copy of the songbook )

Introduction: Discuss Michelangelo's painting of the Sistine Chapel
    (http://sun.science.wayne.edu/~mcogan/Humanities/Sistine/)

Your Future Depends on Accurate Knowledge About Jesus (5 min.)Most religious artwork depicts Jesus as frail, halo-encircled, effeminate, and melancholy (g98 12/8 5-6)
    A close examination of the Scriptures reveals that Jesus was vigorous, manly, joyful and certainly not sanctimonious (Mr 6:3; Lu 2:52; Joh 2:14-16 (paraphrase whipping temple merchandisers); Ac 2:26-28
    Just as most religious artwork is misleading, so are most religious teachings about who Jesus was and why he suffered and died.

In our quest for accurate knowledge about Jesus, we must turn to a reliable source, the Word of God (Lu 1:1-3; 1Th 2:13; 2Pe 1:16)
    Bible-based knowledge about Jesus is vital because it alone can lead us to a happy future and everlasting life (Joh 17:3) (READ - key scripture about knowledge required)
    God?s Word provides answers to important questions, such as: Who was Jesus? Why was he persecuted? Who was responsible for his suffering and his death? What vital role does his death play in our relationship with God and our hope for life?

Who Jesus Really Was (5 mins) - 5min point
    Jesus knew who he was and where he came from
    He spoke a number of times of his prehuman existence (Joh 3:13; 6:38, 62; 8:23, 42, 58; 17:5)
    (cite other chapters, for note-takers, then READ John 8:23, emphasising his heavenly preexistance)

Before angelic or human life existed, God directly created Jesus in spirit form (Rev 3:14)
    He was thus God?s Son, the firstborn of all creation (Col 1:15-17)
    Through him God created all other things, including the earth and the first humans, Adam and Eve

At the appointed time, Jehovah transferred the life of his heavenly Son to the womb of Mary, a Jewish virgin (Lu 1:30, 31, 34, 35; Ga 4:4)
    Jesus was born a perfect, sinless human (it-2 56)
    At about 30 years of age, he was anointed with holy spirit, and he was begotten as God?s spiritual Son on earth as well as the promised Messiah (Mt 3:16, 17; Lu 3:23; Joh 4:25, 26)

Why Jesus Suffered (15 min) - 10min point
    Jesus knew that his godly course in life would lead to his being persecuted and finally killed (Mt 16:21)
    It was foretold that he would be a victim of hostility described symbolically at Genesis 3:15

The reason why Jesus suffered involved his upholding of Jehovah?s sovereignty despite all the efforts of Satan to break His integrity (cl 144)
    Jesus settled with dramatic finality the issue of the integrity of God?s servants (Heb 7:26; w91 2/15 14-15)
    Despite being the object of vicious opposition, Jesus fulfilled his commission with dignity, humility, and self-control because of his great love for God (1Pe 2:22, 23)
    In this Way he proved Satan to be a base liar and conquered the world under the Devil?s control (Joh 16:33) (READ - emphasise his conquering, for us, personally)

Jesus? sufferings also served to perfect him for his role as High Priest for mankind (Heb 2:10, 18; 4:15)
    He was hated because he spoke the truth about God and was no part of the world (Joh 7:7; 8:40; 15:18, 19; 17:16)(READ - emphasise how he was affected by this, for us)
    Jesus learned obedience by the things that he suffered (Heb 5:8)
    At his death he was able to cry out triumphantly: ?It has been accomplished!? (Joh 19:30) (READ, to make up time, and allow some flexibility to cut stuff from later on)

Jesus Died to Glorify God and to Save Man (15 min) - 25min point - over half way
    Jesus died, not for doing wrong, but for proclaiming the truth and glorifying Jehovah God (Joh 8:46, 47; 17:4) (READ - verse 3 and 4, as this is key scripture emphasising especially v4)
    His foremost desire was to sanctify God?s name (Mt 6:9 Joh 12:27, 28)
    By remaining faithful to God, Jesus gave the finest evidence in favor of the rightfulness of Jehovah?s universal sovereignty (Job 1:6-12; 2:2-6; Rev 3:14)

During his short ministry, Jesus demonstrated his love for people by teaching them about God?s Kingdom and by healing those who were suffering (Mat 4:23)
    His greatest act of love for people was his willingly giving his life as a ransom for mankind (READ 1 Timothy 2:5, 6) (Joh 15:13; w95 6/15 14-15) (instruction is to read, so read - emphasise mediator role)
    This was ?a corresponding ransom,? which means that his perfect life corresponded exactly to the perfect life that Adam forfeited for himself and for his offspring when he sinned (Ro 5:12, 18, 19; w92/15 13-18; cl 141-3) (emphasise our need of a ransom for our sins, inherited AND personal)
    If Jesus had been God or part man and part God, he would not have been a corresponding ransom
    Jesus tasted death for every man (Heb 2:9, 17)
    The ransom was provided for the world of mankind (1jo 2:2)
    To benefit from it individually, we must exercise faith in this marvelous and loving arrangement! (READ John 3:16, 18, 36) (instruction is to read, so read - emphasise God's love)
    By accepting the ransom and by obeying Jesus? teachings, we come out from under the wrath of God and into his favor.

Trust God?s Word and follow Jesus to life (5 mins) - 40min point
    The Holy Scriptures paint an accurate picture of Jesus and reveal that ?he was full of undeserved kindness and truth? (Joh 1:14)
    They verify that Jesus was resurrected from the dead and that he has become the ?Chief Agent of life? (Ac 3:15; 1 Cor 15:3-8)
    He is the ?one mediator between God and men? (1 Ti 2:5) (RE-READ this, and emphasise, ignoring the 144k thing)
    Jesus has not changed but remains full of mercy and undeserved kindness (Heb 4:14-16)
    He invites people of all national origins and ethnic groups to follow him and benefit from his teachings (Mt 11:28-30; 28:19, 20)

A study of the bible reveals the key identifying mark of Jesus? true followers today (READ John 13:34, 35; 17:25, 26) (instruction is to read, so read - emphasise need to truly one another, as well as fellow man)
    Regardless of attitudes that prevail in the world, Jehovah?s Witnesses imitate Jesus and manifest love for one another (g98 10/22 6)
    To embrace the hope of life eternal, we must study the bible and learn more about Jesus role in Gods purpose (READ John 20:31) (instruction is to read, so read - comment on Jesus role)

Probably some rousing final sentence or two along the lines of:May we follow in Jesus footsteps today, being obedient to his commands, and lovng him as he loved us!

FINISH - 45mins

The best thing being that I could hand the outline over to any Elder, at the end of the talk, and be fully justified in having used only WTS material.

Edited to add theme title (thanks).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit