Depression - a possible cure in sight

by gumby 28 Replies latest jw friends

• gumby
    gumby

I was just reading an article about a 50 year old Toronto psychiatric nurse who has had 10 years of horrible depression. She has fought off suicidal thoughts, cried and sobbed on her balcony for hours on end, spent 6 months in bed, shunned food and friends.

Today.....two years later, she is happy, full of energy, and feels like living again. What happened?

She along with 5 others, had electrical wires the size of spegetti and about a foot long, implanted in her brain that sends out 130 shock impulses per minute to eliminate negative thoughts by the mind. This is in an experimental stage but sounds promising to those severely depressed.

Me....I'm gonna buy me a taser gun and shock my damn self in the head and save money... plus have a weapon against mean bully bastards.

Gumby

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

Didn't I see this on Cheers? Cliffy got a shock device and his doctor shocked him everytime he started to say something dumb.

Then Carla go ahold of it. BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

• Taylor S.
    Taylor S.

Oooooowwwh!

I can't believe you would even suggest such a thing!!

... any new-fangled gizmo with electrical thing-a-mabobs in the head has got to be the work of SATAN the DEVIL.

**dashing off to call the elders**

taylorS

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

130 shocks per minute huh?

I think I heard of this too... so far the results look good!

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

I wonder which specific areas of the brain they're targetting.

First thing that came to mind when I read that, was that experiment where they inserted electrodes into the brains of rats targetting the pleasure areas of the brain. If they pressed one button they'd get food pellets, another they'd get electrical pulses and experience orgasm. The rats wouldn't bother eating....just repeatedly hit the pleasure button till they got tired.

That technology would definitely cheer me up.

• Bryan
    Bryan

What if this shocking wire were implanted in the groin area? Whould that not also relieve depression?

Bryan

Have You Seen My Mother

• gumby
    gumby

Midget....I remember a CO named Tommy Bucher who gave an excellent talk on this. That particular part of the brain is the hypothalamus....the pleasure area. The rats in the experiment starved to death before they would pick the food!

The article didn't say which area of the brain they targeted.

Gumby

• Gill
    Gill

Hi!

At St Thomas's Hospital, London, they have been doing research on Omega 3 oils food supplements that have been effective for depression and other mental illnesses including schizophrenia. Magnesium, up to 600mg a day is also being used along with 50mg of B6.

Personally, I would go with the food supplements. No one's messing with my brain!!! Not with electric wires anyway and not with drugs either, come to think of it. Stick with the supplements!

• christopherrobin
    christopherrobin

Of course there a cure -MORE FIELD SERVICE and MEETINGS !!!

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

Read the book or watch the movie "The Terminal Man" by Michael Chrichton.

A man who suffers from violent fits of anger is wired to a device that stimulates the pleasure centers in his brain when he gets violent impulses. The brain decides it likes the stimulation so much, that it starts triggering the violent impulse just to generate the pleasure, and at increased intervals. Then the guy sneaks out of the hospital....

This book was written in the early '70s.

Now I see these methods actually applied. Never say never, if it can be thought of, it can probably be accomplished....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit