Can J.W's Be Involved in Politics, Or Can't They?

by Kenneson 14 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

I was always under the impression that JW's couldn't participate in politics because that would mean that they were a part of the world. Yet, I found an interesting article today suggesting that some are involved. See "Analysis: Nepal one month on." Of specific interest: "Tulsi Giri, cabinet deputy chairman...Mr. Giri, who belongs to Nepal's tiny Jehovah's Witnesses religious community, has returned from self-imposed exile in Bangalore, India..." He's one of the king's loyalists. I wonder if the Watchtower Society knows about this.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/4304001.stm

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

Considering that he's probably a respected person in that country, dfing him would probably be bad for converting new members. And if you have someone in the government of a repressive regeime on your side then you are given a bit more freedom than other groups. Like in Iraq, the Catholics probably weren't treated badly like other minorities b/c one of Hussein's minister's was Catholic.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

kenneson-

I think the witness logic comes down on the issue of how he got his office.

If he was elected, then it means he actively involved himself in the politics of the land, in terms of getting elected - a witness no-no. If he is an appointed cabinet member, then they might allow it, citing Joseph, Daniel, Nehemiah, ect.

On point; they tend to bend and twist around this issue at times. Just like the UN deal. They will allow or participate when it suits them - but they would certainly disfellowship if they thought it served their best interest to do so. -

The nice thing about scripture-twisting is that it can go both ways for the skillfull!!!

Just my opinion

Jeff

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

I thought it was interesting that elders used to counsel me for every stupid thing, like biting my nails or having a bright tie. But when I got a job working for a political party I thought for sure they would DF me. Instead, they said I had a 'cool' job.

Walter

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    I think the witness logic comes down on the issue of how he got his office.

If he was elected, then it means he actively involved himself in the politics of the land, in terms of getting elected - a witness no-no. If he is an appointed cabinet member, then they might allow it, citing Joseph, Daniel, Nehemiah, ect.

Spot on!

• garybuss
    garybuss
    I was always under the impression that JW's couldn't participate in politics because that would mean that they were a part of the world.

Wow! You have not thought this through at all. What does "politics" mean? Does it mean government? Have you read any Witness history?

• blondie
    blondie
    If he is an appointed cabinet member, then they might allow it, citing Joseph, Daniel, Nehemiah, ect.

Actually, according to practice in this area, political appointments are verboten too. When citing the examples of Joseph, Daniel, Nehemiah the WTS applies it to working at a salary/wage for government. The only exceptions are working for the military and the state department. Several JWs in this area had to turn down such jobs.

This man may be the husband of a JW that attends meetings but is not baptized or not even an unbaptized publisher. I have known several men who attended with their wives for several years (one over 30 years) but never studied with a JW, participated in the school, answered at the meetings.

It would be interesting to get down to the details. Maybe a letter/e-mail inquiring of this quetions might be in order.

Blondie

w90 11/1 pp. 20-21 The Role of the Superior Authorities ***

The fact that the superior authorities are God?s minister explains why Daniel, the three Hebrews, Nehemiah, and Mordecai were able to accept responsible positions in the Babylonian and Persian governments. They could thus appeal to the authority of the State for the good of God?s people. (Nehemiah 1:11; Esther 10:3; Daniel 2:48, 49; 6:1, 2) Today some Christians also work in government service. But since they are separate from the world, they do not join political parties, seek political office, or accept policy-making positions in political organizations.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Good point and article reference, Blondie.

w90 11/1 pp. 20-21 The Role of the Superior Authorities ***

The fact that the superior authorities are God?s minister explains why Daniel, the three Hebrews, Nehemiah, and Mordecai were able to accept responsible positions in the Babylonian and Persian governments. They could thus appeal to the authority of the State for the good of God?s people. (Nehemiah 1:11; Esther 10:3; Daniel 2:48, 49; 6:1, 2) Today some Christians also work in government service. But since they are separate from the world, they do not join political parties, seek political office, or accept policy-making positions in political organizations.

Did you notice they left out Joseph? How could they include him in this statement - certainly he had 'Policy-making' authority.

But do they mean like a cabinet member - or a position within the political party itself - working for the political party directly in some way? I think this could be taken either way, even could apply to unions in the watchtower view. Have I misapplied here?

Jeff

• blondie
    blondie

Here's how the WTS skirts the issue of unions, Jeff.

w61 2/15 p. 128 Questions from Readers ***

How

should a dedicated Christian Scripturally view labor unions and participation in their activities??S. B., U.S.A.

The Scriptures counsel Christians to "provide the right things in the sight of all men." "Certainly if anyone does not provide for those who are his own, and especially for those who are members of his household, he has disowned the faith and is worse than a person without faith." These texts have a bearing on labor unionism, because to obey them it may be necessary to join a labor union. An analogy might be drawn between one?s duties as a member of a labor union and those he has as a citizen of a country. For benefits received from the government the Christian pays taxes; similarly, he could properly pay union dues, since such would in effect be job insurance. There can, therefore, be no objection to a Christian?s merely belonging to a labor union, paying the dues and heeding the call to stop work in the event of a strike.?Rom. 12:17; 1 Tim. 5:8.

However, a Christian should not get involved in union activity to the extent of holding an official position in the union. Nor, in the event of a strike, should he take part in picketing or in other ways agitate for the cause of the strike. Above all, he should not engage in violence in labor disputes, for "a slave of the Lord does not need to fight." "If possible, as far as it depends upon you, be peaceable with all men." Just as a Christian is neutral regarding politics and wars of his country, so the union member who is a Christian does not get involved in the governing activities and economic warfare of the union but must remain neutral.?2 Tim. 2:24; Rom. 12:18.

• Poztate
    Poztate

There can, therefore, be no objection to a Christian?s merely belonging to a labor union, paying the dues and heeding the call to stop work in the event of a strike.?Rom. 12:17; 1 Tim. 5:8.
    This to me brings up another interesting dilemma. If you can stop work (strike) why do you feel it is BAD to vote to accept or reject the offer.(WIFE)..need I say more??

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit