Penton's new book on "Jehovah's Witnesses and the Third Reich"

by slimboyfat 27 Replies latest watchtower bible

• fleaman uk
    fleaman uk

I havent read the Book i admit.But there is enough evidence in the Holocaust Museums around the World to confirm that JW,s took an active stance against the Third Reich and suffered terribly.

I dont know what this Mans agenda is,frankly i couldnt care less,but im guessing if he made the same accusations against Jewish People ,he could well be in the slammer.

Also,confirmation of support towards Hitler in 1933/34 so what?That was before the persecution of Minorities and Jews began.It was a new Government.

The fact that most Witnesses ended up in Concentration Camps proves that that stance changed.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Actually the compromising resolutions were made after the oppression had begun, it is what precipitated them. I don't know Penton but sometimes obsession with conspiracy and coverups taints the mind. The WT has ommitted or colored many facts about their role in the oppression of JWs, how they invited it, how they dealt with it, and the actual death toll. You could say the WT has made a movie version of what happened with them in the starring role and the Devil as the antagonist. It is sad indeed when human suffering is used by propagandists (WT) to promote more human suffering.

• fleaman uk
    fleaman uk

Actually the compromising resolutions were made after the oppression had begun, it is what precipitated them.

Could you elaborate please Pete?

• FairMind
    FairMind

Could you elaborate please Pete?

I’m not Pete, but in his book Jim Penton provides evidence that Judge Rutherford attempted to curry favor with Hitler and his regime. This was evidently done with the idea of protecting the WTS and advancing its’ interests in a Nazi Germany. When this ploy didn’t work, Rutherford became vengeful toward the Hitler regime and basically ordered the German JWs to defy Hitler and his government. This naturally brought on (in stages) the wrath of the German state. Penton’s point (I think) is that by following Rutherford’s instructions (which were made out of spite) the German JWs brought on much of their own persecution and Rutherford suffered naught.

FairMind

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

The nazi government closed all Jewish shops and business interest conficating the goods and property in April of 33. The JW appeals to Hitler were in June. The WT saw the writing on the wall and were trying a last ditch effort to smooze Hitler and pretend to be a friend of the Nazi State. Their earlier antigoverment rheteric adorned with crudely depicted artwork was barely tolerated in this country (USA) it was not possible to deny it at that late date.

• Quotes
    Quotes

What I found interesting about Penton's latest book (which I have read) is that he quotes extensively from WTBTS publications (esp. Yearkbooks) and then draws (reasonable) conclusions based on the WT's stated facts.

Perhaps it is those WATCHTOWER QUOTES that SBF feels are "CRAP"????? ;-)

~Quotes, of the "thinks SBF missed the main points entirely, and is inventing straw men" class

• Poztate
    Poztate
    Perhaps it is those WATCHTOWER QUOTES that SBF feels are "CRAP"????? ;-)

~Quotes, of the "thinks SBF missed the main points entirely, and is inventing straw men" class

If you look at SFB's posts he has admitted to being a lier. In addition I believe he is a shit disturber based upon his posts.

SFB...if you are nothing but a troll I urge you to get back to the KH because "A" is coming VERY soon now.

IF you want to post here GROW UP or GET OUT (i mean this in a kindly way )

• Buster
    Buster

The book seemed to be fairly well-balanced treatment of the JW situation pre- and during WWII.

The key points I took away were:

- There were some individual JWs that stood their ground and suffered terribly for it.

- Other JWs gave in

- Many leaders of the German Branch did not withstand the punishment they expected the R&F to deal with. In fact, at times they were concilliatory to the Nazis.

- The world had not begun to widely deal with the holocaust until the 60's. (I suspect that until then, people were not distanced enough to deal with the horror) JWs jumped on the bandwagon at that time.

- The roughest part of their treatment was precipitated by an power- and alchohol-drunk fool in NewYork. A person that did not have to deal with repercussions.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit