Italy: Man Threatens to Blow Self up at JW Meeting of 2,000

by blondie 30 Replies latest jw friends

• Neo
    Neo

Source: http://www.repubblica.it/2005/b/sezioni/cronaca/filibasilio/filibasilio/filibasilio.html

Please bear in mind that the following is just a rough electronic translation of a page in Italian, from the mildly weird Babelfish Altavista translation service.

Cicero angel has made irruption in the cult place
    The hostages freed from the participation of the police officers

Rome, threat is made to explode in the center of the witnesses of Geova
    Arrested the man: it did not have explosive and the gun was discharge

ROME - Fear but no serious consequence for the action of an armed man of gun that, today to Rome, has made irruption in knows it of the Reign of the Witnesses of Geova in Hegel large square in the zone of Casal de' Crazy where numerous persons found themselves, children comprised. The crowds but, after a raid, have been immobilized from the police enforcements. And it is uncovered that the belt that carried was not explosive and that the gun was discharge.

The man, Angel Cicero, 33 years, it has made part of the witnesses of Geova, from which it would have been esplulso in order to have had problems with the justice. Being to the first news, Cicero would have tried of being riammesso between the witnesses of Geova, also through gestures demonstrated to you. Without to succeed to us.

Therefore today the man has asked to speak from the podio for the main hall. "Ve I to it will say when Armageddon will arrive" I have said to the assembly showing to hundred of persons a gun beyond to one I wrap with belt on the life connected to a zainetto that he carried to the shoulders. "I know when the end of the world will come, Geova is with me, who goes via will not receive the salvation. Fatemi to speak, fatemi to say what I must say otherwise I make to explode. Attended that they are a former brigatista ", has said. Then the threats: Cicero has shown a gun, later on turned out without loader, while in it knows it diffused the fear.

To that point the hundreds of persons who found themselves to the entire one of the building are, however, all resolutions to escape. With he they are remained only little persons whom they have tried to make to reason it. Until that it has not been immobilized from the police officers. Cicero, handcuffed, has been carried via on one gazzella of the police officers. According to the first information, the man did not have explosive while the gun was lacking in loader.

Cicero has been stopped with the accusation of person seizure. In past center of the Witnesses of Geova in Australia had had one.

• Neo
    Neo

Another news source:

Man arrested after threatening to blow himself up at Rome sect meeting

ROME : An armed man threatened to blow himself up in a hall in Rome Saturday where around 2,000 members of the Jehovah's Witnesses church were holding a meeting, Italian media said.

The man barricaded himself inside a room on the first floor of the building after threatening the crowd, according to Sky's TG24 news channel.

Police later managed to arrest him after the hall was evacuated.

Armed with a pistol and with electrical wires protruding from under his jacket, the man, identified as Angelo Cicero from a town near Catania on the southern island of Sicily, had jumped onto the stage at the hall used by the Christian sect and threatened to blow himself up.

But after his arrest police did not find any explosives on him and his pistol was empty.

Cicero gave no reason for his threat but he had been expelled from the sect last year and has tried several times to be readmitted.

He was known to the police for a number of felonies, including robbery. - AFP

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_world/view/134638/1/.html

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Maybe he wanted to go out with a "bang," but instead, he probably "blew" his chances of ever getting re-instated.

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch
    Cicero θ ³tato fermato con l'accusa di sequestro di persona. In passato aveva devastato una sede dei Testimoni di Geova in Australia.

According to that article from La Repubblica, he had also devastated another building owned by JWs in Australia. I remember there was a bombing of a KH in Sydney Australia. But I checked up and saw that it was in July of 1985. Since this man was only 14/15 yrs old back then, I don't think thats the incident being referred to here. I couldn't find anything else on that point. Maybe others will have more success.

• Neo
    Neo

I noticed the Australian incident too, but it's only mentioned in one news source and seems untied to what happened in Rome. Hope we get some additional info on that.

Neo

• Englishman
    Englishman

Maybe he heard that the WT was having a re-think about a monthly Awake and maybe keeping it twice a month?

Englishman.

• geevee
    geevee

I liked re-captioning of the photo.....very funny. They [all 2000] probably have to go back another time so that they don't miss any of the program. How else will they be able to do the brain numbing review on the SM in a few weeks time? Bomb scares dont buy you much time off, you have to go back in and waste your lunch time to catch up.

• blondie
    blondie

Nothing substantial in WT publications until 1992, 7 years later. Vomit Alert!

*** w86 1/1 p. 10 Days Like "the Days of Noah" ***

VIOLENCE! As in Noah?s day, so today, violence has become a household word. Even those who walk with the true God, as did Noah, are not immune to violence. This was forcefully drawn to the world?s attention when, on July 21 of last year, a Kingdom Hall of Jehovah?s Witnesses in Sydney, Australia, was demolished by a bomb during a public Bible talk about loyalty to God and family. One Witness was killed. More than 40 were hospitalized. All of these have recovered, though some carry heavy scars as a result of this criminal outrage. A police detective commented: "There were 110 people inside and it is simply a miracle that we don?t have 110 dead."

*** g86 8/8 p. 29 Watching the World

Inquest on Kingdom Hall Bombing

After a three-day hearing last April, the Coroner?s Court of Sydney, Australia, decided that there was "insufficient evidence" to commit the chief suspect to trial for the July 21, 1985, bombing of a Kingdom Hall of Jehovah?s Witnesses near Sydney, according to the Daily Telegraph of Sydney. The blast leveled the building, killed one man, and injured scores of others, more than a dozen seriously. (See Awake! November 22, 1985.)

At the coroner?s inquest into the death of the father of three children, police presented circumstantial evidence that linked a 39-year-old fireman with the Kingdom Hall bombing, two previous bombings of other buildings, one attempted car bombing, and three separate murders in recent years. Police stated that at the time of the Kingdom Hall bombing, the suspect was under surveillance. The coroner allowed the unusual police request to have the suspect?s name released. The coroner said he believed public interest in such shocking crimes was more important than one man?s possible embarrassment.

*** w86 9/1 p. 26 Godly Respect for Blood ***

Jehovah?s Witnesses appreciate the many benefits provided by modern medicine. For example, when a Kingdom Hall near Sydney, Australia, was destroyed by a terrorist bomb last year and more than 50 injured Witnesses were rushed to a nearby hospital, these were grateful that the doctors had on hand a plentiful supply of nonblood fluids to transfuse. All the injured survived. They could be thankful for these transfusions that were in harmony with Jehovah?s regulations. As a further plus, none of them were in danger of being infected by diseases that can be transmitted by blood.

*** g92 1/8 pp. 9-13 We Survived a Murderer?s Bomb

SUNDAY morning, July 21, 1985, promised a crisp, midwinter?s day as Jehovah?s Witnesses and friends began filling the Casula Kingdom Hall in a western suburb of Sydney, Australia. At 9:35 a.m., David Winder, the visiting speaker, began his discourse on Christian loyalty. Just a little after ten o?clock, we were looking down, following along in our Bibles as he was reading aloud John 6:68.

He never finished the reading. An enormous blast from under the platform left him writhing on the ground, close to death. A friend of ours, Graham Wykes, a husband and a father, died instantly. Many others were hurt, some critically. Such unprovoked brutality in a place of worship shocked even a hardened world. As the news broke, Australians were glued in disbelief to their TVs and radios.

Instant Reactions

Immediately after the explosion, there was momentary silence. I think most of us were stunned and bewildered, looking around in fright, unable to speak or come to terms with the incongruity of what had just happened. The air was thick with dust. The whole scene looked and smelled like a war zone. Children began to cry, and some started to scream from shock. Later, one observer, a taxi driver, saw an "unidentified girl who probably had a beautiful face being placed into an ambulance with half her face gone." That unidentified girl was my wife, Sue.

Sue was knocked unconscious by something that flew from the platform straight into her face. My eardrums instantly burst. To me the explosion sounded as if someone had turned on an air hose inside my head ?there was no bang, just a sudden, intolerable hiss as everything went gray. While we were in the second row of seats, the speaker was standing practically over the bomb, which had been hidden under the wooden platform.

Instinctively I crouched with my hands over my head out of fear of falling debris. The next few seconds seemed like minutes. It dawned on me then that our hall had been bombed, and a sense of foreboding gripped me, for Sue had just vanished in the debris and dust. As I shouted "Susie, Susie!" my thoughts were a confusion of questions: ?Has she been killed? What about David?and the rest? Have I been hurt??

Ceiling panels, plastic chairs, splintered timber, bags, and torn Bibles and magazines were strewed everywhere. Soon dazed faces, many bleeding and some peppered with splinters, emerged from the rubble. Most of those who had been seated toward the rear of the hall were unhurt except for eardrum damage.

My Wife?s Nightmare

I found Sue when I spotted her boots protruding from beneath a large, but fortunately very light, ceiling tile. When I threw it aside, I was unprepared for what I saw. Sue?s upper lip was severed horizontally beneath a crushed nose and was hanging near her chin. Her front teeth were smashed, and when I saw the damage to and around her eyes, I had fears for her sight. Her hair was a disheveled mass of blood, dirt, and splinters, and her upper left arm seemed badly cut. I was relieved, however, to see no ongoing heavy bleeding. But I learned later that I was deceived. Moments after I lifted her head and shoulders from the rubble, she weakly called out my name. I tried to calm her, mistakenly thinking she was becoming aware of what had happened. Sue later said: "I thought I was home in bed having a nightmare and desperately wanted Peter to wake me up." She seemed to be drifting in and out of consciousness, and I did not want to leave her, but I did need help.

Another Witness, in a state of shock, exacerbated no doubt by the sight of my wife, was talking irrationally as she approached us. With my free arm, I gestured that she bend down so I could talk to her. With her eyes on Sue, she bent down and gave me her hand. We then had a brief prayer together, supplicating Jehovah for wisdom and strength to cope. By the time we said amen, although she was still teary eyed, she had fully regained her composure. I asked her to find something to serve as a pillow for Sue.

Amazing Survivals

When the bomb detonated, young Paul Hahn was sitting directly in front of me and about six feet [2 m] from the piano. The blast hurled the piano into the air, and a large section of it landed on Paul, taking a sizable chunk of flesh out of his upper thigh. His beautiful front teeth, just out of braces, were smashed. Joy Wykes, widowed by the bomb, lay nearby, with a severe head injury as well as other wounds. Two of her girls were also hurt.

Of the seriously injured, the most remarkable survivor was the speaker, David Winder. The bomb hurled him and debris from the platform right up through the open space where the roof had been only moments before. He came down almost on the spot where he had been standing. He was still conscious but in a state of severe shock. Since his feet and lower legs were mutilated, some thought he would never walk again but today he is able to walk reasonably well. Some of his clothing was found in a nearby eucalyptus tree. The speaker?s stand was found three houses away in a neighbor?s backyard. Because of massive blood loss, David was in a critical state. He was flown by helicopter to a hospital.

Rescuers Arrive

The police and ambulance officers, much to their credit, seemed to arrive very quickly. While ambulance officers attended to the injured, the police had their work cut out. Because the blast had been heard and felt suburbs away, roads approaching the Kingdom Hall were soon choked with hundreds of curious onlookers, and news cameras were running hot. Some of our immediate neighbors kindly offered to help in any way they could.

Ambulances quickly filled and began ferrying the injured to local hospitals. Hospital staff were horrified at what had happened. Many local Witnesses came to the hospitals to offer comfort and support. David Winder and Sue were taken to a hospital especially equipped to handle trauma victims. That night in the Liverpool Hospital and while I was under general anesthesia, doctors removed splinters buried deep in my arm. The next day, with my anxiety growing, I wanted to see my wife. With just a little apprehension, the hospital released me that afternoon so that I could be with Sue.

The Blood Issue Arises

I found her in the intensive-care ward, and when I first looked at her from the foot of her bed, I wept. A grossly discolored face, swollen and distorted beyond recognition, greeted me. Groups of stitches, like miniature black zippers, held her face together.

Sue could not see because her eyes, even her eyelashes, were submerged in swollen tissue. Of her facial bones, her nose, upper jaw, cheek, and orbital bones of the eyes were shattered. The real danger, however, lay in the fact that a section of her skull just above the bridge of her nose had been rammed back, puncturing an artery. While unconscious and buried under rubble, blood poured unseen into her stomach. Her blood count plummeted to six. (The average for a woman is about 14.)

Blood transfusion immediately became an issue, eventually resulting in an impasse with the surgeon. He told Sue that her refusal to permit a transfusion, if needed, would tie his hands. Sue reassured him that we both appreciated this and "would accept any reasonable alternative procedure, but our request to ?abstain from blood? was not negotiable." (Acts 15:28, 29) He would not accept this.

Psychological harassment began and persisted. Sue was asked if she had any children, and when she answered, "No," the reply was, "Good, because they would have an ugly mother." He also spoke to Sue of the possibility of my divorcing her because of her face. Sue?s reaction? "That was most distressing. I determined that even though the surgeon, in his own way, wanted me to look as good as possible, I was not going to let him trample on my conscience." His relentless badgering about blood transfusion only heightened tension and wasted valuable time. During this traumatic period, what stood out in sharp contrast was the compassionate and tender care given Sue by every one of the nursing staff. They earned our respect.

It was now 11 days since the explosion had taken place. Sue?s facial bones were at that critical stage when they were about to start setting but in the wrong places. She needed surgery quickly! On his next round, her doctor, in a final burst of anger, exclaimed, "I?m not touching her!" and then walked away. These were the most anxious moments of our lives. In retrospect, however, the surgeon?s abandonment of Sue proved to be a blessing.

A Compassionate Surgeon

A Witness who is also a doctor spoke on our behalf to a plastic surgeon who agreed to treat Sue using an alternative technique. While not the medically preferred method, it eliminated the question of blood transfusion. This surgeon proved to be respectful and kind. He earned our respect, for he was prepared to do his best without the use of blood.

Threaded steel pins, about three inches [8 cm] long, were screwed into Sue?s broken facial bones. Steel bridges, in turn, held these pins in place, allowing the bones to set correctly. "With spikes protruding from my face for about six weeks, sleeping was no pleasure!" confessed Sue. Her shattered upper jaw was wired to her undamaged lower jaw to ensure that it would set correctly. Her sense of smell could not be restored.

Sue has a fine sense of humor and, more important, was able to laugh at herself, such as at the thought that she resembled a ?walking TV antenna.? She would need more than a good sense of humor, though, for she would be having surgery for the next two-and-a-half years. This included eardrum grafts and extensive dental work.

Lessons Learned

Both of us learned many lessons, including the power of prayer and that Jehovah never allows us to suffer more than we are capable of bearing. When confronted by the first surgeon over the blood issue, Sue confided, "I was very nervous and sad that there had to be such a confrontation. Each time I prayed to Jehovah, and the feeling of total calm that swept over me was very reassuring. I had read of other Witnesses who had experienced something similar, but now I felt it for myself." We are now more confident about facing possible future tests, having seen how Jehovah helps in situations we previously would have considered daunting.

Some have asked us why Jehovah would permit a Kingdom Hall to be bombed and a brother to die. Throughout history, and in our time, God?s people have been subjected to many brutalities. Had Jehovah put a protective fence around them, as Satan claimed had been done for Job, their motives for serving God would indeed be open to question. We have no basis for thinking that we are beyond harm?that God will always save our skin, even from ?unforeseen occurrences.? Our acceptance of suffering, or even the loss of our lives for our beliefs or otherwise, recommends our worship as genuine, unselfish?not opportunistic.?Ecclesiastes 9:11; Job, chapters 1 and 2; Matthew 10:39.

Brotherhood in Action

During this time of stress, our spiritual companions proved to be "sticking closer than a brother." (Proverbs 18:24) Sue explains: "Some of my family flew 2,500 miles [4,000 km] to be with us during the critical first two weeks. It was such a comfort to have family and friends sit with me, for I suffered frequent nightmares." A seemingly endless stream of cards, letters, telegrams, and flowers poured in from thoughtful brothers and sisters both here and abroad. How thankful we were for these "apples of gold in silver carvings." (Proverbs 25:11) An excellent witness resulted. This was indeed brotherhood in action.

Sue adds: "Practical help came too. Close Witness friends juiced fruits and vegetables particularly rich in iron. We felt that since we were asking doctors to respect our wishes, we were obliged to be supportive of them, and in my case, this meant building up my blood. I also received an iron supplement." Many of us became quite adept at converting a complete meal into a liquid, and to her credit Sue became equally accomplished at drinking it. (Have you ever tried to eat a roast dinner through a straw?) "The result of all of this was that my blood count shot up three points prior to surgery, much to the delight of my new surgeon," says Sue.

Patience, love, prayer, the help of God?s spirit, and simply the passing of time, as well as a sensible diet, have all contributed to Sue?s recovery. Some injuries have left a legacy that only God?s Kingdom rule will correct in its own time. As for Sue?s face, to those who know her well, it is a little different but a credit to her surgeon regardless. And to me she is still beautiful.

Yes, our hope as Jehovah?s Witnesses is something special. It can carry us through any trial. And rather than weaken the congregation spiritually, this ordeal strengthened our bonds. An interested friend, present at the bombing, admits with a smile to being ?bombed into the truth.? Having seen firsthand such a brutal attack on peace-loving families, he became more determined to pursue his Bible study.

To date no one has been charged with the bombing, but the police do have a prime suspect, allegedly a vengeful murderer who hated the Witnesses. However, they have insufficient evidence to bring charges. He has been linked to a number of other crimes.

Now, over six years later, Sue and I continue to enjoy the privilege of serving as members of the Watch Tower branch office staff in Australia. A special delight for us was the dedication of our new quickly built Kingdom Hall, constructed June 22-24, 1990, next to the location of the old bombed-out hall. Christian love has overcome one man?s blind hatred.?As told by Peter and Sue Schulz.

[Footnotes]

The Sydney Morning Herald, July 27, 1985.

[Pictures on page 10]

Recent photograph of Peter and Sue Schulz

Sue Schulz with her face wired to reshape it

[Picture on page 13]

The new and larger Kingdom Hall

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

Thanks for those references Blondie. Especially the one mentioning the suspect who was 39 at the time. If that guy really was responsible for all those bombings, its depressing that he got away with them. I didn't think the Sydney bombing could have been the incident mentioned in La Repubblica. It must be like Neo said, another unrelated incident, or maybe the journalist made some factual error.

• JAVA
    JAVA

**Thank God! I can believe how boring the program was!** That's way too funny, only because it's so true!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit