Comments You Will Not Hear At The 2-27-05 WT Study

by blondie 29 Replies latest watchtower bible

• ezekiel3
    ezekiel3

Thanks for the 101 on WT reviews Blondie, I have never studied WT as well before you.

Shall we discuss 2 Peter 1:19, one of the NWT creative comma placements?

(2 Peter 1:19) . . .Consequently we have the prophetic word [made] more sure; and YOU are doing well in paying attention to it as to a lamp shining in a dark place, until day dawns and a daystar rises [COMMA] in YOUR hearts.

Yet another example of how the WTS separates Jesus from the Christain. There is no question that the "daystar" refers to Jesus. So why insert a comma?

*** w91 2/1 p. 29 Questions From Readers ***

ยท Why is the rendering of 2 Peter 1:19 in the New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures different from that in other Bibles?

Stressing the value of God?s inspired word, the apostle Peter wrote: "Consequently we have the prophetic word made more sure; and you are doing well in paying attention to it as to a lamp shining in a dark place, until day dawns and a daystar rises, in your hearts."?2 Peter 1:19.

Notice that the phrase "until day dawns and a daystar rises" is set off by commas. Most Bible translations do not do this.

For example, Dr. James Moffatt renders the latter part of the verse: ". . . it shines like a lamp within a darksome spot; till the Day dawns and the daystar rises within your hearts." Renderings like this one lead to the view that the rising of the daystar occurs within the hearts of believers, such as when they experience some sort of spiritual illumination. (Yeah, no duh..)

However, even back in Moses? day, there was indication that ?a star out of Jacob? would arise. (Numbers 24:17; compare Psalm 89:34-37.) Jesus clearly identified himself as that "offspring of David, and the bright morning star."?Revelation 22:16.

This identification of the "daystar," or "morning star," fits the context of what the apostle Peter was discussing. He had just referred to the transfiguration vision that he had seen some 30 years earlier. (Matthew 16:28?17:9) That brilliant vision pointed to the time when Jesus would ?come in his kingdom,? or be glorified in Kingdom power. What Peter had seen emphasized the value of God?s word; similarly, Christians today need to pay attention to that prophetic word.

While the hearts of mankind in general were?and still are?in darkness, that need not be so with true Christians. It is as if they have a lamp shining in what otherwise would be dark, their hearts. Peter knew that by paying attention to the illuminating prophetic word of God, Christians would keep alert and enlightened to the dawn of a new day. That would be the time when the "daystar," or "bright morning star," would actually reign in Kingdom power.

It is interesting that E. W. Bullinger wrote on 2 Peter 1:19: "Here, it is clear that there must be a parenthesis, for it is prophecy that is the light that shines, and Christ and His appearing are the Day-star and the Day-dawn. Surely, the meaning cannot be that we are exhorted to take heed to the prophetic word until Christ is revealed in our hearts! No; but we are to take heed in our hearts to this prophetic word, until the fulfillment comes in the appearing of Christ?the rising of Him who is called ?the Morning Star.?"?Figures of Speech Used in the Bible, 1898.

Accordingly, a number of Bible translations employ parentheses at 2 Peter 1:19. The New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures maintains the basic order of presentation found in the original Greek. But it [NWT] uses commas to set off the phrase "until day dawns and a daystar rises" from the admonition to pay attention to the word ?as to a lamp shining in a dark place, in your hearts.?

[Footnotes]

See for example The Twentieth Century New Testament (1904 edition), The Emphatic Diaglott (1942 edition), Concordant Literal New Testament (1976).

Another egegrious mistranslation. NWT is the only Bible translation is to place a comma here.
  • ezekiel3
    ezekiel3

On the topic of JW buzzwords: Foregleam

This obscure word, used frequently in the pages of the WT, is found defined in only one outdated reference, all other dictionaries omit it:

Foregleam - definition from gcide
    Foregleam \Fore"gleam`\, n.
    An antecedent or premonitory gleam; a dawning light.
    [1913 Webster]
    The foregleams of wisdom. --Whittier.
    [1913 Webster]

Source: http://onlinedictionary.datasegment.com/word/Foregleam

Modern dictionaries, including Webster do not include "Foregleam." So why does WTS use it?

Could it be this buzzword be so vague as to remove culpability instead of using other current words such as "interpretation," "prophecy," and "vision?"

If the WTS used real words to describe their failed interpretataion they would be forced to acknowledge their blind path. Instead they make a buzzword of "foregleam" and hide in the shadows of their deception.

• Neo
    Neo

Thanks for including your research methodology, Blondie!

These last two study articles really make me wanna puke. They're horrible, even hardcore dubs have a really hard time to put up with this.

• blondie
    blondie

Good comments, everyone.

Zeke, you reminded me of other words that are strange and peculiar besides foregleams such as

Overcomers (a term referring only to the 144,000 but why?)

He that conquers will thus be arrayed in white outer garments; and I will by no means blot out his name from the book of life, but I will make acknowledgment of his name before my Father and before his angels.--Revelation 3:5 (NWT)

taken from an older Bible Translation at Revelation 3:4,5

Revelation 3:5

• American Standard Version (ASV)
      He that overcometh shall thus be arrayed in white garments; and I will in no wise blot his name out of the book of life, and I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels. Revelation 3:4-6 (in Context) Revelation 3 (Whole Chapter)
    • King James Version (KJV)
      He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.

Good News Book chap. 21 p. 185 God Makes "All Things New"

And when the once-sacrificed "Lamb," now the enthroned Jesus Christ in heaven, is united there with his "bride"?the resurrected 144,000 members of the "little flock" of overcomers?joy will know no bounds!

Present truth

Was based on this scripture, 2 Peter 1:12, not Proverbs 4:18.

As understood in Russell's day:

Wherefore I will not be negligent to put you always in remembrance of these things, though ye know [them], and be established in the present truth.--2 Peter 1:12 (KJV)

An example of present truth then:

The Time Is At Hand--Studies in the Scriptures--B101 (1889)

Be not surprised, then, when in subsequent chapters we present proofs that the setting up of the Kingdom of God is already begun, that it is pointed out in prophecy as due to begin the exercise of power in A.D. 1878, and that the "battle of the great day of God Almighty" (Rev. 16:14), which will end in A.D. 1915, with the complete overthrow of earth's present rulership, is already commenced.

2 Peter 1:12 (NWT)

For this reason I shall be disposed always to remind YOU of these things, although YOU know [them] and are firmly set in the truth that is present [in YOU].

These phrases are part of the Bible Student history that remain in the WTS vocabulary today.
  • Honesty
    Honesty

Today, though, the churches are reaping what they have sown. (Galatians 6:7) Many seem to be losing their power as well as their parishioners.

SEEM is the operative word here. Many religions are booming. Who is not? The WTS.

The WTBTS must have bought up and distributed all of those 'JW Apostate Blinders' I listed on ebay.

Take the blinders off and drive by the big churches on Sunday morning, afternoon and evening.

See the huge parking lot filled with automobiles.

See the smiling people as they stream inside to hear refreshing truths solidly based on the scriptures.

See the young and old greeting each other with hugs and faces filled with joy.

Listen to the music as Jesus is praised.

Now, put the apostate blinders back on and grope your way back into the KH for some more of the same spiritual guilt you are being subjected to by the FDS.

No wonder the JW's have one of the highest suicide rates and mental health problems of any other group.

It's not my fault, though. I was just trying to help the JW's so they wouldn't be influenced by all those apostate professed christians when I sold them the blinders.

• Flash
    Flash

Blondie,

Your commentary on this study is outstanding to say the least. You nailed them perfectly on every point!

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

Hi Blondie

An excellent review - once again.

I don't know about you but this article struck me as being one of the most 'doctrinally significant' in a long time. Most of the Watchtower articles nowadays are bland and vague but this one is very specific and re-states in no uncertain terms, a number of fundamental JW doctrines.

1. Christ invisibly returned in 1914 - pars 3 to 5
    2. The number of spiritual sons of God are limited to 144,000 par 7
    3. Satan and his demons are confined to the earth since 1914 - par 10
    4. Apostates are a constant threat - par 13
    5. Religion will be destroyed by the political elements (subtle change in recent years was UN) - par 16
    6. The end is 'soon' - par 16
    7. The faithful and discreet slave are not to be questioned - par 21

Eyeslice

• Ticker
    Ticker

What bothers me with the material presented in the Watchtower is the shocking amount of words that carry two distinct meanings, one intended for the recipient at the door who is unfamilar with watchtower doctrine, and another clear meaning for members within the organzation. An example is how many times they refer to "true christians," "ones earnestly seeking god", "God's servants", etc.., and yet one unfamilar with watchtower reasoning would merely view it as meaning any one who serve God, a seasoned witness would view it as referring soley to themselves. This also works to furthers stress the eliteism view while purposely leaving the unwary reader in the dark as to the deceptions used in purposely intending two different views of the same word, directing them at two different groups for two different reasons, basically killing two birds with one stone.

It is almost as if they write the watchtowers in code, almost a second language hidden within words that are unethically "seasoned with salt". This makes it universal to two different recipient groups(JW's and nonJW's) without offence due to the truly intended meaning. They have to season the words by setting a smoke screen as to their true meaning, because if at the door the meaning that was actually carried, and directed at each baptized witness was disclosed, (for example:if you were to disclose that the word "Gods faithful servants" actually meant only JW's, "misguided christians" actually means any who are not JW) who would actually ever respond favourably?

This too me , demonstrates a lack of honesty and respect toword both JW's and nonJW's. Also the audacity that they have in soley placing the parable of the "wheat and weeds" fullfillment as happening within the populace of the watchtower. This very narrow minded application is really meant to be directed only to themselves instead of rightly extending it as to meaning all of Christs followers earth wide, regardless of denomination. This too would further the spirit of eliteism within the interior of the Organization, as it attempts to make a unilateral bond with bible phophecy being soley fullfilled within the society.

Too me its a case of arrogance, deception, and an interesting outright low blow at ones who no longer support the watchtower view as they are lambbasted as "weeds within the wheat" of the watchtowers private fields of harvest. I think the soil in their fields is beginning to become parched, and no longer feasible to sustain any growth, their soil is failing to produce any good fruitage.

Ticker

• Soredamor
    Soredamor

Do you notice : In the Insight book, they wrote : "In the transfiguration, evidently Moises and Elijah represented the Law and the Prophets, both of which pointed toward and were fulfilled in Christ." - Insight on the scriptures, II, p. 1121 Now, according to this Watchtower "study", Moises and Elijah represent the anointed ? Is this an example of "new truth" ?

• wheres caleb?
    wheres caleb?

Good review Blondie,

Even though spiritual insight has eluded them, spiritual elitism has not. It doesn't matter how wrong they have been in the past, their sincerity in presenting 'bible truths' to the masses is all they want to be recognized for. Rules of accountability do not apply to them. Must be nice!

"The light keeps getting brighter and brighter" goes a long way to excusing their lack of spiritual direction. Despite all their mistakes, they still view themselves qualified to label others as spiritually weak or losing the faith they once had. How about people just tired of being lied to?

No IRS auditor is going to care about how diligent or sincere I was in filling out my tax return. If I made a mistake in my favor, I will still be paying for it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit