Were You Affected By Racism In The Congregation???

by minimus 29 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie
    discovered that the Spanish congregation was flushing diapers and other unmentionables down the toilets."

I wonder how they could tell that the diapers were from the Spanish congregation? Diapers are diapers.

Overall, I found that it was not a group problem but

Some thought that black people were not as intelligent

Some thought that black people were more apt to be criminals

Some lighter skinned black people discriminated against darker skinned black people (special needs talk 3 times in the last 15 years in 2 congregations)

Some white JWs would not work in territories with a high concentration of black people

Some white elders would not travel to congregations to give public talks if it was in a "black" neighborhood

I remember one family holding the book study in their home found that items were being stolen. They insisted that the black family be reassigned; but the stealing continued. They finally caught the conductor's white son red-handed. Hmmm.

Ask why over the last 126 years, only one black brother has qualified to be on the GB?

Ask why in the publications in the 1950's and 1960's it is hard to find a picture of a black witness?

Those that were at Bethel, how many black brothers were there in the 50's, 60's, 70's?

In the area I live in, there was not a black servant or elder until the mid 70's when people moved in from Chicago even though there were local black brothers.

Ask yourself why many congregations had not integrated in the South even by the 70's?

Blondie

• minimus
    minimus

Allthe publications in the 50's and 60's were in black & white.

• Mary
    Mary

Can't say I was.......everyone in our Hall was white so the subject was moot.

• obiwan
    obiwan

I sure did. I dated a black sister (we were supposed to get married) in another congregation. Her parents didn't like the fact I was white....Oh, and her father was a MS. Nice.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I dont know if any other black people other than me responded to this post, but in my opinion if there was any racism within the JWs it was mostly covert and subtle.

If it happened you were left to wonder if you were taking something the wrong way or maybe you just misunderstood when white Sister Hubbard said to you "Maybe you just miss being with you're own kind."

Or when your mother is going through bouts of depression and needing the brothers help but the brothers never seem to have the time to come to her house but are seen often at the white neighbors across the street who happen to be catholic and really have no interest in studying with the JWs.

This and other stuff like this happened when my family moved from a black neighborhood and congregation to a white neighorhood and congregation. Hm.....

Josie

• ValiantBoy
    ValiantBoy

Blondie makes some valid points. By the time my family baegan attending meeting in 1982 in Idabel OK, the cong was half black and half white. There were no obvious racial problems. The body of elders was 2 black, 2 white, 1 hispanic. The pioneer body and ministerial servants were also evenly distributed. But that was not always the case. Even though segregation required by the secualr authorities was well on its way out in the late 60s, the Idabel congregation was not integrated until like 1973 0r 74. The white congregation had a small KH, the black cong met in a home. The situation in many areas was the same.

But, again, by hte time we were witnesses, hte racism was much more subtle. It seemed to be a problem with individual witnsses rather than with whole congs.

• Hyghlandyr
    Hyghlandyr
    I dont know if any other black people other than me responded to this post, but in my opinion if there was any racism within the JWs it was mostly covert and subtle.

I think that is society in america now in general. The posts Ive made on this subject would be deleted here, along with all of the open and honest replies Ive gotten. Suffice it that my experience is that many of the folks who think they are not racist, are.

Thus simply to define racism...Racism does not require you to wear white sheets, to kill anyone, to fire a man from his job or not hire him because of his pigment. Those are racist qualities but they are not the only ones.

Racism can be as simple as not believing another person when they tell you that they were pulled over by the police without a reason (Ive had that happen to me..I was in the car with my black wife going to detroit at MIDNIGHT. We were pulled over. They would not tell us why. After a Fifteen minute search of the car, they finally told us they pulled us over because underneath the car, in the very middle my muffler was not COMPLETELY connected. NO noise was coming from the muffler at all. But they apparently saw that at midnight, under the car at 55 miles an hour.)

Or a sly look. Or an assumption. "Blacks like watermelon." NO freakin kidding. Watermelon tastes great. Why WOULDNT they like it you moron.

Here is a real clue to racism...."I'm not racist,

pause...

BUT...."

Ive heard that so many times.

I am racist. Its not an AA meeting confession. Just a recognition that I was born into a society that differentiates people based on appearance. Genetically, I realize, we share our code mostly in common. I have as much of a percentage of genetic material in common with an Irish dude as I do with an anglo as I do with an african. Though I dont look entirely like them. If race is to be based on looks then I am of the buck toothed race.

Realizing this I dont have to apologize for things I have not done. I do however, have to listen when someone explains their perspective to me.

And besides that I dig black chicks.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Smooches Hygh

My favorite quote is: "I'm not racist, I have black friends."

Josie

• cindykp
    cindykp

Our congregation was all white, but when I visited the chicago area, it was mixed. I met a really nice black brother, and hot I might add and we started hanging out at the assembly's and when I would visit. When my dad saw him come sit next to me at the assembly, he pulled me aside and told me that he didnt think it was a good Idea, especially to date because of different backgrounds. Yah right dad, you mean because he's black! The CO that came knockin last week on my door was black, and extremely cute! Hmm do you think he'd go on a date with me? LOL

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

The Congregation I went to was mainly all white. My father was from the Chicago. I never thought of myself different from the black race or spanish race etc.... When I grew up I noticed that there was no other race in the congregation back home. I would hear people call them Colored or Dark. I would always what's the difference between you and them...nothing! One time this crazy no brain Sister I swear to god said this...She was giving a answer saying her husbands DR was Black...(long pause) Brown Skin...(long pause) Mischievous Looking!!!!!(nothing to do with the answer)...I could not take it anymore I turned around in my seat as I was sitting upfront...and I said OH MY GOD...You got to be kidding me!!!!!!!!!!!!!(Out Loud) Everyone got real quite they took the mic from her..... stared at me and then acted as if nothing happen! I hate that about small town there is no culture and everyone is the same.

I remember one time I saw a Guy who happened to be black in this small town of ours at Target...I could not help myself ...I went right up to him and said..."Its about time you got here!" He laughed so hard and we talked for a bit. I am not a racist I hate everyone equally!

Brooke

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit