Did the "Watchtower" Originate In the Occult?

by metatron 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• El blanko
    El blanko

A friend of mine is actually writing a book, not specifically centred around the JWs, yet highlighting synchronicities between Russell and the world of the occult.

Intriguing eh

To me, parts of the Bible are steeped in ' the occult '.

The JWs love to tell us that ' they ' hold the keys to unlock the mysteries of the Bible (Revelations/Daniel etc). How occult is that! Hidden knowledge/wisdom, explained by the high priests at the Watchtower.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

A lot of the occult is based on the bible, but then you have to wonder about the reverse, too.

For example Ma'at and the ten commandments:

The 42 Commandments (or confessions) of Ancient Egypt (from the Egyptian Book of the Dead)

1. I have not committed murder, neither have I bid any man to slay on my behalf
    2. I have not committed rape, neither have I forced any woman to commit fornication
    3. I have not avenged myself, nor have I burned with rage
    4. I have not caused terror, nor have I worked affliction
    5. I have caused none to feel pain, nor have I worked grief
    6. I have done neither harm nor ill, nor I have caused misery
    7. I have done no hurt to man, nor have I wrought harm to beasts
    8. I have made none to weep
    9. I have had no knowledge of evil, neither have I acted wickedly, nor have I wronged the people
    10. I have not stolen, neither have I taken that which does not belong to me, nor that which belongs to another, nor have I taken from the orchards, nor snatched the milk from the mouth of the babe
    11. I have not defrauded, neither I have added to the weight of the balance, nor have I made light the weight in the scales
    12. I have not laid waste the plowed land, nor trampled down the fields
    13. I have not driven the cattle from their pastures, nor have I deprived any of that which was rightfully theirs
    14. I have accused no man falsely, nor have I supported any false accusation
    15. I have spoken no lies, neither have I spoken falsely to the hurt of another
    16. I have never uttered fiery words, nor have I stirred up strife
    17. I have not acted guilefully, neither have I dealt deceitfully, nor spoken to deceive to the hurt another
    18. I have not spoken scornfully, nor have I set my lips in motion against any man
    19. I have not been an eavesdropper
    20. I have not stopped my ears against the words of Right and Truth
    21. I have not judged hastily, nor have I judged harshly
    22. I have committed no crime in the place of Right and Truth
    23. I have caused no wrong to be done to the servant by his master
    24. I have not been angry without cause
    25. I have not turned back water at its springtide, nor stemmed the flow of running water
    26. I have not broken the channel of a running water
    27. I have never fouled the water, nor have I polluted the land
    28. I have not cursed nor despised God, nor have I done that which God does abominate
    29. I have not vexed or angered God
    30. I have not robbed God, nor have I filched that which has been offered in the temples
    31. I have not added unto nor have I diminished the offerings which are due
    32. I have not purloined the cakes of the gods
    33. I have not carried away the offerings made unto the blessed dead
    34. I have not disregarded the season for the offerings which are appointed
    35. I have not turned away the cattle set apart for sacrifice
    36. I have not thwarted the processions of the god
    37. I have not slaughtered with evil intent the cattle of the god
    38. I have not acted guilefully nor have I acted in insolence
    39. I have not been overly proud, nor have I behaved myself with arrogance
    40. I have never magnified my condition beyond what was fitting
    41. Each day have I labored more than was required of me
    42. My name has not come forth to the boat of the Prince
  • ozziepost
    ozziepost

I'm a pretty cool dude, eh?

• Satanus
    Satanus

Yes, the term watchtower was popular in occult workings. I noticed this when i was reading occultists.

Further, the way christians claim that the bible is written so that it works for people w faith, giving just enough. But, for people without faith, it's truths are hidden. This fits the definition of occult.

S

• New Worldly Translation
    New Worldly Translation
    He practised "phrenology"

Of course you'd say that...you have the brainpan of a stagecoach tilter!

• mnb77
  • mnb77
    mnb77

ignore this...I cant get it all on there. I try again later

Now we come to Russell's part. Russell was a freemason. It has been recorded in his own material, his admittance to being a Freemason." I am very glad to have this particular opportunity of saying a word about some of the things in which we agree with our Masonic friends, because we are speaking in a building dedicated to Masonry, and we also are Masons. I am a Freemason." Charles Taze Russell. (The

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit