The Myth of Unconditional Love

by frankiespeakin 42 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I here this a lot all the time. I think it is one huge myth,,based on a self-biased view.

Discuss:

• franklin J
    franklin J

In my experience, the ONLY unconditional love I have is for my children.

Our spouses are capable of pushing buttons to bring out the worst in us ( divorce rates prove this). The love for ones spouse is conditional on the dynamics of the relationship and how the opposite spouse returns the love.

I wager it would be difficult or impossible to love an abusive spouse. At some point there would be a reaction ending the relationship.

In my opinion, Children deserve our love no matter what they may do. I do not think I could ever not love my children ; the thought is alien to me.

As for the JWs banter about agape and all their christian love; well, we all know just how "conditional " that is.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Frank,

I agree with most of your post, but (yeah I know everyone got thier big butts).

We love our children on the condition that they are our children. Also our children even though we may love them greatly,,that parental love has conditions,,the conditions may be hard to see or it may be hard for us to admit but they are there just the same.

• Xena
    Xena
    the ONLY unconditional love I have is for my children.

I was thinking about that the other day. Was there anything my daughter could do that would make me not love her? The conclusion I came to was that no matter what I would always love her but I might not always like her or want to be around her....the love is unconditional but the fringe benefits that come with it are not.

• zen nudist
    zen nudist

when I came to see that everyone was part of me, I realized that I dont need to love or not love anyone

I treat everyone as a part of my wholeness.... now some parts of my body I do treat better than others (^_^) or at least give them more attention....

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Xena,

So you are saying the "feeling" of parental love is unconditional for your children? I think that may be closer to the truth,,relatively speaking.

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76

Franklin J,

I agree with you, My spouse does recieve conditional love from me, but my son will always have my unconditional love, even if does wrong. That does not mean that I would agree or condone what may have done, just that my love for him is an unbreakable bond that is above all else.

I wish JW's could see and understand this, If your child is df'd, that's still your child, your flesh in blood, something beautiful that you helped create, how can you turn your back on them and shun them? Possibly never speaking to them again. Why doesn't the WTBS just allow you to speak with your family, they are not strangers from the street or people you only see at the cong of field service. If the org wants to keep the shunning policy (that I despise) in place why not just apply it to non family members? This just shows what an evil corrupt cult this is, that would divide family in order to control you.

Dragonlady76

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

The word "love" is often misleading as we often define it as some thing experienced, or something to be acquired or added to what we are.

"Love" can also be used to point to the truth of our Being: the underlying Oneness of all. Here, Love, is not some thing added, but rather a word pointing to what we actually are. There is conscious awareness of an ineffable and intimate kinship with everything and everyone. There is seen to be no actual "other" ( though for practical reasons there is acknowledgment of unique and various forms).

Unconditional love, is seeing there is no one or thing separate not to love.

• lilybird
    lilybird

The only unconditional "love" the society understands is blind, unwavering devotion to their cult, the Watchtower society

• MerryMagdalene

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit