2 days in NY, 2 days in LA, what do you do?

by Satans little helper 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Satans little helper
    Satans little helper

Guys and girls, Mrs SLH and I are emigrating to the promised land of Australia in August and the cheapest way to get there with the best luggage allowance is via the US. As it's a round the world ticket we can stop twice on the way and have decided to spend 2 days in NY and 2 days in LA.

So, we've got limited time and don't want to spend an absolute fortune (so Disneyland is out). Where would you stay and what things would you say are absolutely not to be missed in each of the two cities?

I'm relying on you guys, I haven't a clue and booking online is ok so long as you know not to stay at hotel X cos it's 30 miles away from anything!

Cheers

SLH

• Sassy
    Sassy

hmmmmm........ when are you guys in LA? we might have to get a quick little mini apostafest impromtu party going....

• PurpleV
    PurpleV

Ah, the big apple.

It's hard to find an affordable hotel right in Manhattan but it's doable. Try Orbitz for that.

What to see? The top of the Empire State building is outstanding. Also, the Bronx Zoo, Bronx Botanical Garden and the Brooklyn Aquarium are lots of fun.

A trip to Rockefeller Center to see the famous Wollman Rink is fun, and of course all the museums are worth going to. The Museum of Modern Art is very close to Rockefeller Center at 6th Ave. and 53rd Street. The Museum of Natural History is great too, right across the street from Central Park on the Upper West Side if you want to see that too.

If you can afford it, take in a Broadway show. There's a half-price ticket kiosk in Times Square where you can pick up last-minute tickets to that day's performances for half price if you don't mind about 45 minutes to an hour in line. It's not a bad wait, lots to gawk at while you stand there.

A ride on the Staten Island Ferry (free) is a must-do if you want to get close to the Statue of Liberty to get great pictures. I wouldn't recommend taking the Statue's own tour if you've only got 2 days. Downtown, near the SI Ferry, is the Fulton Fish market with great shops and restaurants and ships you can actually go on and look around in.

A visit to St. Patrick's Cathedral (also free) is absolutely fascinating, with all the gold and marble and expensive art. If you look under the altar from the back you can see the tombs of all the cardinals who have presided there. That is also right near Rockefeller Center.

PM me and I'll let you have my phone number, maybe I could hook up with you all for lunch or so while you are here!

Have fun

Valerie

• Satans little helper
    Satans little helper

Great, loads to do in NY and I have found a pretty good hotel mid town near Times Square for less than $100/night.

What is there to do and see in LA tho? I've seen the movies but I don't want to waste two days going there if all i can see is either Disneyland or take some "Famous peoples houses" tour

If you had the choice would you visit LA or San Fransisco?

• Sassy
    Sassy

ok.. never mind the mini fest.. I thought you might want to meet some of the board members from the LA area.. but you didn't seem to pick up on that idea..

I'm sure you will have fun stuff to do

• franklin J
    franklin J

2 days in NY?

That is not enough time to see much! The city is overwhelming to a tourist.

Buy a guide book and decide for yourself what is a priority and plan the trip itinery prior to going. There is SO MUCH to see; do not leave it to chance.

• proplog2
    proplog2

In LA get tickets to the Jay Leno Show. (they're free and it is entertaining and you see some stars which is what LA is all about)

Go to Venice Beach. Walk & Walk, (free) Rent skates or a bike. (almost free)

Cruise beverly hills just up the Road from LAX

• Valis
    Valis

If you are only gonna be in NYC for 2 days you will wanna make the most of it. I would consider staying in a Hostel like the link below. Cheap and suitable for passing out in. I would hit the MOMA and the Metropolitan Museums of art and the Guggenhiem which is very close to the Metropolitan.

http://www.hinewyork.org/

On LA I got nothin..

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• pratt1
    pratt1

There is a fairly reasonable hotel called Club Quarters located in the Wall st area and in midtown. The rooms are small but extremely cheap - about $100. per night.

PM me and I can get the contact information to make a reservation.

When do you plan to be in NY?

• Sassy
    Sassy

You can get free Tickets to Leno.. but you have to stand for hours to get in... My neighbor was just telling me about it when she went..

they give more tickets than they can accomodate...

I think Venice Beach Rocks.. http://www.westland.net/venice/index.html

and Santa Monica Beach isn't far from there.. its very cool as well..

Also it's cool to go to Mann's Chinese Theater and see the stars on the sidewalk stuff.. that's free too..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit